Game News Thread

I mean of course it was, everything is some time ago for a venerable elder like you. I mean the first Hexen/Heretic game came out thirty years ago and the last game in the series came out the same year I was born and I am twenty six this year.

But it will be difficult for Ubisoft to make Hexen III given Raven are owned by MS-ABK since Raven were bought by Activision to become a COD mill over a decade or so ago. So even if they did make a new one it would most likely be an MS exclusive.

Of course the last MS company that made a long belated sequel to a prominent cult shooter was Arkane Austin with Prey (2017) I don’t think you should be wishing for that Hexen revival given what just happened to Arkane Austin.

1 Like

Fuck Hexen

1 Like

oof

4 Likes
4 Likes

I found Eivor not very sympathic, so we (flatmate and me) could never really get into the story. Was worse with Basim because we knew from Valhalla he is a dick and then we had to play him. :sweat_smile:

Now this two-character setup makes sure you are not able to relate to “your character” because in the worst case half of the game you have to adapt a playstyle that is less comfortable than the other. That was our issue with Aya as well, but she did not have much playtime luckily and a good bunch of that was marine fights which were actually fun to me.

I think it would have been better if you could play only one of them and adapt to their strong/weak sides.

5 Likes

So, although we lack gameplay footage, I’d I’m reading between the lines right, the male character (supposedly a real-life man from Africa who became the first such samurai in Japan) will be played more like the kill-everything-in-sight protagonists of the RPG games, and the female character (supposedly the fictional daughter of a real-life historical figure of the era) will be a ninja who will play more in line with the traditional Assassin’s Creed protagonists; stealthy, hooded, and using the hidden blade. This will allow the players to use both styles in the same game, assuming that choosing between the two characters is completely optional and no scripted or required switches between them for completion’s sake. I’m interested.

4 Likes

Like any other Ubisoft game announcement videos :laughing:

2 Likes

I know the background of Yasuke, but we don’t know just yet that that’s actually the Yasuke and not just a very similar substitute with a very similar name, keeping the historical guy separate from this character. Or if, indeed, we are actually playing as a fictionalized version of a historical character instead of just interacting with them. As far as I’ve seen and heard, Ubisoft hasn’t come out and confirmed that one way or another yet.

1 Like

Free little game on Steam: a Werewolf Janitor Simulator, basically!

3 Likes

Big doubt. For free roaming maybe, but I could definitely see them forcing the use of either character during set piece missions. From what I understand, they have separate weapons and abilities, so we’re probably gonna level them up simultaneously throughout the story. Not utilising two separate characters would be weird.

The premise looks great, and I’m very much interested in the game. Now, let’s see some gameplay.

1 Like

I feel like I´m the only one uninterested here right now… This trailer was the very definition of bland, and both protagonists seem even blander. Would´ve preferred a gameplay trailer as well.

“With our dual protagonists, we have two fantasies, the samurai and the shinobi,” game director Charles Benoit explained. “We want the player to experience both, and we cannot squeeze both fantasies into one character because the samurai and shinobi came from different social classes. They have different lives. So we cannot really mix them together.”

Ok, I don´t know if you can actually fully develop both styles simultaneously since I haven´t played the game, but point is that GoT did mix them together in one character, so… I feel like for Ubisoft it´s mainly an excuse to have both a male and female protagonist again (arguably the least clumsy one, since it just follows Syndicate´s method). Not to mention Yasuke wouldn´t really fit any of the social classes they speak of here… I find his inclusion to be a (potentially) questionable choice, though if they´d explicitly tie it to Portuguese presence in Japan (and make him originate from the Mozambique areas), that might be neat.

4 Likes

I see this pop up alot. What exactly is the issue?

I also think it’s odd that you see having two different playable characters as some excuse rather than a feature.

I´ve edited it to “(potentially) questionable”, since that´s probably a slightly better wording. For me personally - I straight out want to play as Japanese characters in a samurai/ninja game set in feudal Japan. And I also don´t really trust Ubisoft much on the character(isation) side these days. But it depends on how Yasuke is actually implemented in the story. I absolutely might be jumping the gun here, since the trailer didn´t really tell us anything. I´d be happy to be proven wrong about it (heck, Yasuke may turn out to be the better call and Naoe the opposite - or both will be good - or both will be bad - the trailer just didn´t do anything to make me at least a bit excited or intrigued).

My main point was that it would be totally possible to mix two gameplay styles in one character (as evidenced by GoT as well as most older AC games). And I also kind of miss when the AC games had one protagonist as the clear focus of the story. As a feature, having two playable characters with completely different styles (and/or personalities) can be both good and bad, based on your preferences and how much mandatory time is dedicated to each. I would prefer to have the stealthy character only, since that is the sort of gameplay I want to see in an AC game. The open brawl/melee playstyle has always been the weaker point of the series for me, and if the game doesn´t do this aspect right and then forces me into it way too often, it will lessen the enjoyability for me. Again, I wouldn´t mind being proven wrong about it.

1 Like

I guess that’s only fair. Luckily, there’s games that fulfil those criteria.

I’m willing to put some faith on the writers. Maybe having one character being an outsider is integral to the story they want to tell. We don’t really know where they’re going with it yet.

GoT was a bit conflicting in that aspect. It’s been a while since I played it, but I don’t think Jin was suuuuper keen on using shinobi tactics. The game obviously needed to tick some gameplay boxes and they used it to portray an internal morality struggle for the character. It was fine, but it doesn’t really take away from the AC devs saying samurai and shinobi are mutually exclusive.

Right, I just remembered the ending to GoT

Jin abandons his samurai honor and morals to save the island and his uncle. His uncle is so enraged by that, that he chooses to fight you. And you choose to either kill or spare him. So yes, in that particular story it’s fitting to mix both.

2 Likes

it comes out June 13th on pc and two weeks later for consoles

They also showed off this which I think is the skincrawler like enemy they teased in February

Free stuff to celebrate Minecraft’s 15th anniversary

3 Likes

So in follow-up to my statement here, I didn’t realize that another trailer had dropped where Ubisoft talks about who the two playable protagonists are, and it seems that yes, this is in fact the historical Yasuke as rumored, altered from his historical context in the same manner that Jack The Ripper was in Syndicate, except Yasuke is apparently going to be playable through either the entire game or most of it, making him the only historical domain character to be a playable protagonist for the main game.

At least, so far. Now that it’s happened, would not be surprised if we get an AC game set around President James Garfield during his time as a soldier in the Union army during the American Civil War, or something like that.

1 Like
5 Likes

I’ll believe it when I see it :unamused:

4 Likes

Deadlock will reportedly be a 6 vs 6 third-person hero shooter. The game will feature a large map with four lanes to attack that have tower defense mechanics as well as various items and abilities to utilize.

I’m leaning more towards the “I don’t want to believe it” camp since I’m tired of Valve releasing such games instead of focusing on their single player / coop IPs. Hope it has the same fate as Artifact :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

So if you play this trailer at 0.25x speed at the 11 second mark you can see a banana guard from adventure time

i cannot express how much the multiversus discord server would hate me if this isn’t just a funny placeholder hours of predictions of characters related to bananas based on some cryptic tweets and this little goofball might be the one getting a roster slot instead of characters like King Kong or mojo jojo

4 Likes