Game News Thread

I’m still reeling over the 3DS EShop shutting down and and Xbox 360 indie store shut down a few years back. So much good stuff vanished from the face of existence.

I have no idea why people think Microsoft are pro-consumer, they have always pulled shit like what they did with their indie games store. In fact online stores are Microsoft’s kryptonite I swear because they just can’t do it right or lead to them doing shit like inventing the microtransaction.

Yes, and that is precisely the reason why I´m so pissed off about it. The Da Vinci Disappearance is quite a major story-content DLC with a bunch of missions and lore (not to mention it´s really good). Plus there are also two Templar lair missions in unique locations which are not part of the Da Vinci ministory but are part of the DLC pack itself. And then there are the Copernicus missions (and unique outfits) which are also a DLC.

All in all, cutting off access to DLCs in Brotherhood effectively means cutting of a decent chunk of gameplay content, not just some extra cosmetics or goodies. And as someone who plays the Ezio games on pretty much a yearly basis, it affects me quite a lot.

And like AK98 mentions, AC2 has the Siege of Forli and the Bonfire of the Vanities (plus the Auditore crypt I think is also a DLC), also massive gameplay additions, but that game isn´t supposed to be affected in this regard (for now anyway).

Decommissioning online services is all fine and well and to be expected, but it should only affect the multiplayer side of the game. Cutting off access to huge chunks of single player content alongside it just reeks of negligence and lack of care on Ubi´s part. It´s a massive fuck you to everyone who bought the game (on PC at least - and I´m sure we´ll still need to log in through UC regardless) and a sign of Ubisoft just being lazy and not giving a shit. I can´t imagine it being such a huge task to patch the affected games in a way so that the DLC content becomes permanently accessible without the need for online verification.

Worst thing is I can´t do anything about it aside from filing a ticket and fuming online, unless there´s some major and noticeable backlash that would make them fix this (or the modding community figures out a solution).

3 Likes

This could be so easily fixed by just adding those DLCs into the base games. :man_shrugging:
It’s crap like this that I’m glad I never bothered buying DLCs separately. I would feel so robbed right about now :grin:

1 Like

The sad fact is no-one at Ubisoft’s business side really cares, in their minds it is far easier to let decommission something than it would be to patch it all in or heaven forbid they have someone spend a little time and money doing so for games that came out decades ago.

No they would much rather use that time and money to abuse their employees and pay out for the company’s numerous sexual harassment claims

3 Likes

Right?? I mean, I´m not a game developer / programmer, but I can´t imagine it being that hard. :man_shrugging: (though I assume the decisions come from elsewhere)

I mean, neither do I (unless it´s something that´s not possible to purchase as part of a “definitive” edition or so), but I still feel being robbed. I paid for it one way or another. But it´s the aspect of (not) preserving a game in its entire form that pisses me off more. I feel more robbed figuratively. If Ubi doesn´t give a shit about its older titles anymore, they should just let them be released on GOG, DRM-free and with all the content.

Another kicker for me here is that just a few hours before finding out about this, I had purchased the Deluxe Edition of the ACIII original, so now I have less than two months to play through the whole thing before they cut me off from the DLCs, and I will feel more literally robbed there :joy:

Unfortunately so. Which is why I´m hoping that it will spur some backlash that would make them care… Well, either that or - given the recent rumours - the company will eventually get bought by someone who might.

1 Like

I just can’t wait to see how IO will handle stuff like this when they’ll have to shut down their own servers. They pulled this crap with Absolution’s DLC though they blame it on SE letting IO go. Next time, there won’t be a SE to blame.

2 Likes

Which DLC? These suits and weapons?

1 Like

They were preorder bonuses if I recall. A Deus Ex themed pack, a mobster themed pack, a classy spy pack and I feel like there was an ICA operative themed pack.

4 Likes

Yep. Wasted money if you bought those.

You could buy them separately.

You can say the same about Absolution really.

It is cheaper to write “Moron” on your face with a sharpie nd the effects are basically the same…

1 Like

The easiest answer is to just patch them in permanently. Unfortunately that’s easier said than done simply due to a plethora of reasons.

In terms of the curious case of the missing Assassins Creed DLC’s and Ubisoft Club unlockables. They are already in the game, but simply will be missing the proverbial trigger for them to become official. I think Ubisoft’s best course of action is to make them free for everyone to grab before the discontinuation of the service.

2 Likes

Woah, woah, woah - they said they are investigating it, just have some patience.

4 Likes

That phrase is synonymous to “We’ll sweep it under a rug and wait for people to forget about it.
Screenshot 2022-07-05 at 20-41-19 You dont need a savefile to access DLC Assassin's Creed II General Discussions

4 Likes

Was thinking about the game recently, nice. If only IO would Remaster Codename 47… :pensive:

3 Likes

Soon the ESRB and the various video game bigwigs will mandate that every game be a remaster or a sequel then and only then will your dream come real. It certainly feels like it is the case right now so who knows?

3 Likes

And it will hopefully be as gratuitous as the original.

in other less optimistic news.

Next Week will mark a whole year since Rockstars ever evolving world of Red Dead Online last received an update. I’ve already said my opinion on RDO, but now it’s time to move on to greener pastures. As for what remains of the dedicated fanbase they are planning funeral arrangements.

I’ll end this by saying Rockstars secretive veil doesn’t work anymore compared to what they were when they produced titles on a consistent basis. While we live in the timeline where people like EA and Activision have egregious micro transactions. GTA and monthly “events” are the future for Rockstar games. Ain’t that exciting?

3 Likes

pz65tj8d5iz71

12 Likes

Well, seems there’s at least some internal reaction, though regarding a different game. Wish the efforts would spread to other titles.

That’d be great, but they would still need to patch them in a way so that they no longer require that online verification that allows/prevents them to be played in the first place.

Patching them permanently in would be the reasonable thing to do, but as you mention, there might be issues related to that (though I still think it’s just Ubi being lazy and not giving a shit). Otherwise they should at least make the games DRM-free and release both the DLCs and whatever tools might be necessary publicly so that the modders could work their magic.

5 Likes

Ooh, day after my birthday!

not that I particularly care, I still haven’t played the first one

6 Likes