Games where multiple games combined into something new

In another thread (here), I made a comment about Might and Magic 4 and 5 (Clouds of Xeen and Darkside of Xeen). If you installed both of them together, you got a third, new game called World of Xeen that contained the entirety of both games plus extra content that neither game had on its own.

It got me wondering about other game innovations like that. HItman arguably does this with the way it incorporates all three games into the H3 engine. Any others that did this that anyone can think of?

2 Likes

Might and Magic 6, 7 and 8 merger mod comes of the top of my head though that isn’t an official release like the two you mentioned. :stuck_out_tongue:

Only one I can think of that were linked was Mass Effect 1-3. It didn’t merge the games but the decisions you made in previous games effected your game in the later ones through starting the next game with the your save file from the previous game. I always thought that was cool. Wish more games with sequels did this sort of thing.

Are we talking about compilations here or how Doom 1 and 2 are in Doom Eternal?

1 Like

Haven’t played them (despite being a fan of the universe) but don’t the Total War - Warhammer games “combine”? I read each one added new races and expanded the map.

1 Like

I suppose the Pokemon games sorta count as well.

2 Likes

I’d say the Dawn of War (warhammer 40k) would be included. Each was playable standalone but if you had them all (or at least the activation codes), you could play the races from each in the last one. There were a few games where you could import progress but that is a little different. I seem to recall that one of the Dragon Age games had a website where you could tell it what you did in the previous one.

The Xeen games were both unique stand-alone games. You could play either one separately. If you installed them together though, the main screen changed to “World of Xeen” and you could teleport between their respective locations. The plot also combined to provide some unique quests, characters, and items that weren’t in either of the original two.

Oh man. Totally forgot about these 2 Zelda games! Yes!

This might not be exactly what this thread is looking for, but:

I know that Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 had a feature where if you linked your save file from the original Black or White game, you could unlock special NPC interactions throughout B2/W2 that gave a short cutscene flashback explaining certain events and character changes between games. It was pretty neat.

The Professor Layton games on the DS often had a bonus feature in the Extras menu. You’d have to input a code found in a previous or future title’s menu, which would unlock “The Secret Door” bonus. It would usually contain an extra set of Concept Art or a secret bonus puzzle.

3 Likes