General News 1.0

Republicans hate everybody who isn’t exactly like them and doesn’t believe exactly what they believe. They’re a cult of hate, nothing more. To think that 150 years ago the two parties were reversed.

4 Likes

Abortion tourism is sure to become a thing. A nice trip to Chicago or NY or LA to exercise your right to choose in those states that aren’t stuck back in time. What’s really sad is not everyone will be able to afford such a trip and so “illegal” abortions, as you called them, will most certainly happen.

4 Likes

The problem is that the Republicans realise that could be an option, and want to be able to punish people going out of state for an abortion too.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/may/03/us-abortions-travel-wave-of-restrictions

2 Likes

Yea I know, Texas already has a version of this sort of “extra judicial” law on the books. Actually I was just talking with a friend about how the current Supreme Court might feel about the constitutionality of laws governing what you do when you’re not in the place that wrote the law. We have a very long history in this country of crossing state lines in order to do something not allowed in our own state.

It’s a mess, but I hope those laws don’t stick.

6 Likes

But not Loving because he can’t afford that divorce attorney and because that would actually hurt him.

Actually scratch that Thomas would sure as hell scrap Loving in a heartbeat simply because the other conservatives would be doing it.

2 Likes

He did it! Biden said the thing he says! The thing he always says when he fails at his own basic duties!

7 Likes

Really? On the ballot? When’s the next Supreme Court election?

1 Like

I believe Biden intends on making abortion rights a federally legislated affair, which is something both Obama and Biden could have done but left it ignored because they were/are useless. Not that it matters it isn’t remotely possible with the 48 Democratic senators* they currently have anyway.

*I do not count Joe Manchin or Krysten Sinema as Democrats so don’t bother pointing out the number is technically wrong.

3 Likes

Men will literally make their own marriage illegal rather than go to therapy.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s particularly awkward because the Obama administration actually claimed that codifying Roe v Wade, ie having a statute passed that would require the Supreme Court to uphold the decision indefinitely was one of the goals - then made no reasonable attempt to implement it into law.

A large pat of this was an assumption that judges who were appointed to the supreme court would, naturally, regardless of their politics, always value jurisprudence and rule of law above all else.

Meanwhile in the real world there’s now a bunch of law professors struggling how they can explain that certain legal doctrines are real when the Supreme Court just wiped their ass with them and announced they’re eager to do it again with other rulings regarding fundamental human rights.

7 Likes

I know of at least 2 (Amy Coney Barret and Brett Kavanaugh) who said as much when they were nominated - And obviously schemed all along to do this while saying another thing publicly. Unscrupulous, untrustworthy and deceptive.

Yeah, and the big problem with it is that there is literally only one form of accountability to Supreme Justices in the US: Impeachment

Obviously, that means that they:

1. Need to do something that is provable beyond a reasonable doubt that its criminal
  2. Do it within the time frame that there is political will in the elected officials to prosecute them for it

So basically unless they literally show up to court high on drugs, strip off naked and start firing a gun around the courtroom… they can be as dishonest and unprofessional as they want until they die.

6 Likes

:thinking:

5 Likes

As a woman, even though I don’t live in the US, I feel very bad recently :pleading_face: It’s just sad that I could be so discriminated in some countries around the world just because of my gender. Quite apart from the fact that I am also exposed to a lot of discrimination in my home country already. But something like this law doesn’t help to improve the hierarchical picture of men and women, on the contrary, it makes the gap even bigger. There are enough men (and women) here in Germany who also want a law like this :slightly_frowning_face:

14 Likes

This obviously isn’t a full fix, but it nice to see the Federal Govt getting creative. The mail is totally a function of the federal Govt as outlined in the constitution in article 1. Also in that article is Kavanaugh saying any law that restricts a pregnant persons movement between states would be unconstitutional.

3 Likes

Been doing some reading. (By which I mean doom-scrolling.)

The situation here in Michigan is complicated. Yes, there is a temporary injunction against the 1931 law that bans all abortion unless the life of the mother is in danger, but it’s only in place until a decision is made by the Michigan Supreme Court.

And our Attorney General has reiterated that she will not prosecute women who get abortions or the doctors and nurses that provide them. But she is up for re-election in November and it seems like about half the local prosecutors would pursue charges and half wouldn’t.

Meanwhile, Republicans, who control both houses of our legislature, are fighting to keep the 1931 law and are proposing more laws that would, among other things, impose 10 year prison sentences on doctors and nurses who provide abortions and make the manufacture and distribution of abortion drugs a felony. (They would certainly be vetoed by Governor Whitmer…but she’s up for re-election as well.)

Of more immediate concern, the largest health care provider in West Michigan almost immediately discontinued abortions and has said that they will uphold the 1931 law even with the injunction in place and my understanding is that other providers are following suit.

Abortion might still be technically legal here, but it just got a lot harder to access for a lot of people.

5 Likes

Sorry if this is too far into the sphere of conjecture but why doesn’t the Fed just open an abortion clinic on each of their military bases? State law means nothing on base and bases can be open to the public. When I was in the Marines we opened Miramar to the public for the air show every year and lots of people got arrested each year for bringing marijuana onto the base despite it being legal in California.

Here is a list of all US military bases and every state has at least one.
https://installations.militaryonesource.mil/view-all

5 Likes

I’ve heard people saying much the same thing about national parks. I kind of like the idea of them putting a Yellowstone Women’s Health Clinic in the middle of Wyoming. :grin:

4 Likes

Doesn’t have to just be national parks. America has national forests, national wilderness, national lakeshores and national historic sites.

4 Likes