GLACIER ENGINE CINEMATICS: Honest Critique (No Negativity)

It’s on Steam. So kinda sorta.

The Decima engine also creates quality cutscenes I might add.

Kojima also makes movies that you have to control. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I actually think/speculate that Glacier has more rendering features specifically than Fox Engine (especially since that engine got left behind after Kojima left). When people praise the “film” work in MGS games they are really praising the director, because the technology actually isn’t all that great.

Gon leave this here

2015 :laughing:

4 Likes

I actually hope this is happening. Because it is not “fair” to what I think Glacier can do with the right work “in front and behind camera”.

1 Like

The Fox Engine is interesting given while it focuses more on photo realistic capabilities similar to the Reach For The Sky Engine (RE Engine) with a heavy emphasis on detail for player models and environments

The Glacier Engine mainly focuses on Environments which isn’t a bad thing since this is a Hitman Game where Environments are integral for the gameplay and immersion.

IO needs to focus heavier on player models since a lot of NPC’s look alike with the only detailed characters being the ones who are important such as 47, Targets (this varies of course), Diana, Grey, etc. I hate how Edwards looks slightly different in H3 compared to HITMAN 2.

I’d like the Bond Games to be in first person just due to it (assuming) it’s a more Narrative heavy game.

1 Like

A lot of this is really, literally, smoke and mirrors. Kojima, I think is a real student of the “image of movies”. He loves employing things like Darkness, Smoke, Fog, and Rain.

Glacier alo looks impressive when doing scenes in those conditions, so it’s no accident that Kojima does the same.

So it pays to have “a clever guy planning the cinematics”.

Other than that, they could use more work in the hero models department. But this is hard to say even now. It looks like the characters when in cutscenes are really the victim of the Lighting TD being just quite careless (or content with using the same lights as the Game Levels themselves?)

And yes some of the things like “Why Arthur Edwards looks different” in CG film making some of this is caused by lighting and shader settings not being worked out ahead of time.

It really takes effort to get this right. Doing turntables of actors in the scene’s lighting so you can see if they “look right in all the angles”. And then you “re-shoot” (re-render over and over until it looks absolutely great). Mocap, performance capture. It’s an entire “ongoing concern” like I mentioned.

1 Like

I was referring to him in game and in HITMAN 3 exclusively. I do think they used a new model compared his Hitman 2 Model.

2 Likes

Yes this is possible, but if I had to guess the model has stayed the same, but the shaders (or their treatment) has changed.

People notice now that ear cartilage in HITMAN 3 is allowing light to pass through. This means Glacier has improved its Sub Surface Scattering. But when it’s turned up way too high, that’s when 47 (or possibly all the other characters as well) look like they are wearing thick makeup and features “disappear”, or you start to see new ones where you thought there weren’t any before.

It feels really (to me) that someone used settings that were “too aggressive” and since Cinematics were not really a focus they just got left that way and the result is… “Needs Improvement” - in the Cinematics.

The odd thing mostly has been when in actual gameplay the renders actually look very good about 99% of the time. Ansel shots look really good as well. But it is also possible that it’s when everything is zoomed in really closely that issues appear.

2 Likes

this is definitely the main problem with the current iteration of the engine. things don’t look the best up-close. especially NPC models. the artists make do with the resources they have, and they add intricate details and text to so many things; but ultimately, if they decide to go forward with a FPS-view for Project 007, things need to hold up in scrutiny

also please improve the character models :')

Grey’s face here is the scariest thing i’ve ever seen

16 Likes

those are fighting words for some people who i won’t explicitly name.

3 Likes

See… this is where a Director and Cinematics Team would come in handy… and all the testing… things that people working hard on gameplay cannot nor should not be bothered with.

Off-hand I’d say Lucas Grey is missing a lamp (and others will have to be reduced in power to avoid overpowering light). People look at an image like that and think maybe Glacier has problems or something.

I see this and think: “This scene could use a Director and a Lighting Technical Director to look it over.”

Even a lazy one should be able to screengrab a live action photo or film frame and say “It should look a bit like this with the shadow here and the eyes looking like this.” and so on.

Remember, even Platige was not above just imitating 007 film shot conditions to the extent that we all basically figured out which 007 films were being copied.

There is no shame in doing the same thing to make sure it “looks right”. As an EA Games artist once told me: “The final test is really your own eyeballs. You’ll just know when it looks right. If it looks wrong it’s probably wrong.”

2 Likes

i think the Cutscenes are fine in HITMAN 3. The ones in Hitman 2 reminded me of the classic Mortal Kombat Endings, so they are fine too.

i hope they go down the Live action Road for the next Games Cutscenes, like in Command & Conquer :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Season 1 (2016) cutscenes were much better.

4 Likes

Yes, but fyi the 2016 H1 cinematics were done by Platige Image, an actual fully furbished visual effects and cgi animation house. Their credits include cg visual effects for the WB film WONDER WOMAN for example.

Basically that represents a level we cannot replicate at this time.

5 Likes

I also want better facial animations, smoother character animations, weapon customization, more levels with more events, a public level editor, and VR on all platforms.

The first two are doable, the rest are probably best tackled later on… if we are being fair. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I am gonna get flak for this but I would have preferred the motion comic from Hitman 2 because those looked interesting and had a great atmosphere to it.

I also said on the old forums that the H1 cinematics look dated (visually, not directing-wise) already.

I do think that the H3 cinematics are a step up from the cinematics for the Golden Handshake and The Last Resort though.

OP is right in every aspect.

7 Likes

Yes… Platige Image - who made the original HITMAN cinematics in 2016… would agree with you.
This is what they can do today:

But… I want to stress that even if you have seen this level of quality, we need to be realistic about what is attainable from where Glacier is right now.

4 Likes

Here’s an interesting case in point. The cinematics below are made with Glacier 2.

Now… this is actually “dated” compared to HITMAN 3, but there is little doubt the director for these scenes was determined to come up with a sense of style to get the most out of what Glacier 2 could do at the time.

The face rigs also seem boosted. There is way more facial movement here.

1 Like