Hardcore Freelancer is simply not worth it at all

I’m sorry, but for me this thread can’t move on until @Invalid finally tells us how he got that coin.

6 Likes

Most likely through Photoshop.

1 Like

Hardcore Mode could be much worse then it is now. For example only allowing thematic weapons to ensure anything left behind is expensive and very hard to find again. Another is combining lookouts and assassins into one and giving them infrared googles so they can spot 47 hiding in a closet and making them just as hard to eliminate as knights.

Can I add something to this?

Avoid guard disguises and 47’s suit at all costs - the suspects see right through it. If you’re dressed as a waiter, however, you can walk right by them.

Took 2 failed hardcore campaigns for me to finally figure that out.

8 Likes

It’s photoshopped - look at the bit where it should say “buy this from suppliers (besides the rare icon) - he’s put a blue square there to block it off.

The coin is still a mystery.

4 Likes

Don’t use Silent Assassin in Hardcore. NPCs tend to spontaneously die at random. It doesn’t happen too often I only seen it 3 or 4 times however should it happen I’m guessing insta-fail if the prestige objective in Hardcore happens to be Silent Assassin?

Hardcore mode is not only riddicluous hard, it’s just not fair. If I decide to try harder mode I should at least have a better rewards, more experience, more money for compeleting a contract. Combining with all these requirements - this game mode is just waste of time. Why I should make it harder if there is no higher reward for this? What is the point?

Especialy that Prestige Objective which is required, if you fail even a takedown - you fail whole campaign. WTF IOI? No matter how I’ll try this is a pure RNG, sometimes PO could be just impossible to do.

Hard Core mode need to be fixed, because now is just unplayable and waste of time.

I understand “No pain, no gain” buy there is no gain it’s just pain.

4 Likes

Anyone else get the sense that hardcore mode is so unpopular, and the numbers will show that, that IOI is likely gonna end up toning it down?

4 Likes

It’s a damned if you do, damned if you don’t situation, I think.

Players want a more challenging mode so IOI puts one in. Then, players complain that it’s too hard. Getting that balance right is apparently really hard.

3 Likes

100%. They’re going to see that people played it until they got the trophy and then never touched it again. It’s definitely getting toned down/altered soon.

2 Likes

I dunno, they might bump up the rewards or dilute the objective pool or something but ultimately it’s just master mode isn’t it. They never did much with that post-H2, it’s just there if you want to show off.

As someone who hasn’t played Hardcore and probably won’t try it for a long time (still in early game in normal, less than half my armory filled, etc), I totally see the “gamer” appeal of it. Getting that trophy despite the mode’s unfairness is sort of the whole point. Also remember guys, this mode’s only been out a couple weeks.

The one thing I do think IOI should adjust is that you should keep your weapon wall when going from hardcore back to normal modes.

Well, they’ve altered a lot Master mode (ex-Pro mode) in Hitman 1 when Hitman 2 released. And even, you can still feel a difference between Master in season 1 and Master in season 2 and 3.
Hardcore mode right now is beyond Master difficulty in my opinion, it’s almost unplayable.
I’m sure they’ll change it in the future if they see nobody’s playing it.

2 Likes

You do. It’s only the tools in the three cases that are lost. The weapon wall stays right where you left it between modes.

4 Likes

Honestly I wouldn’t mind harcore if it weren’t for the mandatory prestige objectives. It seems that most of the challenge of this mode comes from RNG rather than actual challenge.

If maybe they change it so that failing a PE only takes away your merces instead of failing the entire campaign, or maybe if they give players the option of rerolling the PEs at the cost of merces, as someone else sugested in another topic, this mode could be more bearable. As it is though, it’s totally unappealing and makes getting the trophies an annoying chore.

2 Likes

Oh cool, I was under the wrong impression then. Thank you for clearing that up for me. That will make trying hardcore a bit more palatable. Though I’m sure I’ll still get tilted.

1 Like

I think that’s the point.

If you want challenge from open gameplay, you try Master Mode. If you want rigid challenge, you do Escalations.

Having completed Hardcore mode; for me it boils down to a combination of these factors:

1. Good prestige objective RNG - in my case I only had a few hard-fail objectives. Hide & Seek is the easiest hard-fail to beat by a long shot. On the other hand, the time trial objective is usually easy on small maps like Whittleton Creek. Silent Assassin is obviously the easiest way to bust your run.

2. Good map RNG - any map where combat is likely to get you absolutely lit up with full-auto or shotgun fire should either be avoided or handled with extreme caution as much as possible. Colorado, Sgail, Mumbai and to some extent, Colombia are good examples.

Consequently, I didn’t feel particularly satisfied with completing it because it simply feels like I passed it thanks to the planets finally aligning for me, everything in-between that felt like random bullshit moments.

There’s plenty of ways you could choose to address this and I’m deliberately not going to suggest changes because I’m sure IOI are smart enough to do that themselves, instead, here’s what I think are the key pain points that make the mode feel so RNG-driven:

1. Prestige objective disparity - some prestige objective are trivial and some aren’t. When you get only non-trivial ones, fear and dismay sets in immediately.

2. objective imbalance - timed objectives should account for the size of a map, not just number of targets. Silent Assassin, unlike all other objectives, gets less desirable with the more targets you have to eliminate.

Ok, I lied, I’ll suggest one change: Silent Assassin could instead be awarded after X targets have been eliminated and Y seconds of “verification” time has passed. This would make its difficulty much more consistent. Of course, that’s not really SA, but I’ll leave bike shedding over the name to someone else.

7 Likes

Getting messed around by the RNG & having to make the best of a bad choice is all part of the fun but when I get the exact same bad choice 2 or 3 times in a row at least once per campaign it is, in objective terms, extremely lame.

There is nothing fun about the game playing digital Russian roulette with you, especially when it’s loaded three bullets instead of one. The entire objective aspect of this mode, and its random generation, is what holds it back, and becomes openly problematic in hardcore mode.

6 Likes