Hitman 3 "post launch content" debate

I agree with the point that we as players don’t have a fundamental right to free post-launch content given that IOI have delivered what was promised from the sales pitch for HITMAN 3, as they have across the entire WoA trilogy*. Anyone who says that we’re legally/contractually entitled to free post-launch content is factually, objectively wrong, and although it’s not quite as cut-and-dried I personally think that anyone who says that we’re morally/ethically entitled to free post-launch content is wrong too.

However, I also think that it can’t and shouldn’t be ignored that HITMAN and HITMAN 2 set some expectations for HITMAN 3 - expectations that IOI aren’t obliged to live up to, but expectations that exist nonetheless. People are entitled to be disappointed if they feel that the H3 post-launch content hasn’t lived up to the standards set by H1 and H2, even if they aren’t entitled to anything more than their feeling of disappointment. IOI have no responsibility to deliver more than they inititally promised, but - as long as it’s not expressed as a demand or insult - players have no responsibility not to be disappointed with H3’s post-launch content if they enjoyed it less than H1/H2. (Although personally I’m in the camp of waiting to see what the next 14 months bring before I feel I’ll be in a position to say how the H3 post-launch content eventually compares to H1/H2.)

*I think the closest they’ve come to dropping that ball was the Special Assignments from HITMAN 2, with IOI not doing nearly enough to clarify what that content would actually be before it launched, given that they were selling it and taking money ahead of time. A piece of really poor marketing which I hope they’ll never repeat as it was beneath their standards, but just about keeping its head above water on the “was this deliberately deceptive?” question.

15 Likes

I think nobody has an issue with people being disappointed. I too am disappointed contract mode got no update since H2016 GOTY. To the point I made a mod that exposes pretty much anything that is possible to do with it today. While knowing IO might not like that.

But there is more to the situation than just comparing the content of the three games. We also live in a pandemic, IO got independent and works on two other IPs. Hitman 3 is about to end content wise for a while now. I hope for something new next year because the game deserves it, not because I think it is a realistic expectation or even because it is a natural fact a game of the trilogy has X post launch contents.

Yes you can ignore the suroundings of real life and just compare the games. In the end you can’t change the situation anyway. But I suspect you are less disappointed if you are aware of limitations because you are not as much tempted to explain it with corporate greed.

7 Likes

fully prepared to change my tune if that happens. i don’t feel entitled to anything outside of what they promised directly but that doesnt mean i don’t feel disappointed with what came as part of the free content in comparison to the previous 2 games

utter dogshit but the sniper missions and 2 new maps more than made up for it

i’m not, i’m referring to items from hitman 2 that were for some reason made unobtainable in hitman 3 and then rereleased to pad out roadmaps, like the challenge pack rewards. i don’t think thats substantial content at all, maybe for new players but for people who have been playing since 2016 its depressing to see unlocks you already have appear in the roadmaps month after month (same goes for the location rotation)

so why bring it up? i’m well aware that that’s their pattern of behaviour, it’s not a good thing. the elusive targets being temporary is bad enough but i can’t support time gating full missions, its pure fomo

they’re equivalent statements

2 Likes

I see this argument come up again and again. I have asked the same question a couple of times now, but it has yet to be answered. However I will ask it again. What have IO promised us regarding H3 post launch content that they have not delivered on?

5 Likes

I on the other hand have a valid reason to complain. Lost access to Dartmoor since the Envy update and the H2 expansion pass since Wrath. I know for a fact those are covered. I filed a report and am now waiting to hear back from them. I will be most displeased if I miss the next Dartmoor ET over this.

3 Likes

we’re getting the 7 righteous virtues

4 Likes

Of course, let me do some prediction for the Seven Heavenly Virtues DLC escalations :

• Charity : you need to be selflessly generous. Every time you take an item you need to give it to someone in the following 15 seconds. By throwing them at their face.
  • Chastity : The Cabin ™, but contrary to what some in this forum (and ao3) would let us believe nothing really happens. Diana is here. The only objective in the escalation is to dance with her. It’s rather sweet.
  • Diligence : multiple targets, but challenges are asking you to find a way to eliminate them all in one go, a lot needs to be done.
  • Humility : in this escalation, 47 leaves the torch to another. Victoria returns, this escalation is actually a normal map, but because you play a Victoria, the disguises opportunities are shifted to the women NPCs.
  • Kindness : for once 47 is the bodyguard. You need to guide and protect a target that just keeps walking in hazards and hostile guards, they would normally die every minute.
  • Patience : the target arrives 10 minutes in the escalation and is only there for 30 seconds, in exchange you can prepare impossibly complex opportunities and accidents.
  • Temperance : this escalation has no non-target elimination, no pacification, no crouching, no vaulting, no shooting complications. All you can do is talk to npcs to uncover a mystery. You will have to stroll your way into locker rooms to put on some placed disguises. You can leave at any time, it’s just about having a calm evening for 47 maybe hear some lore.
12 Likes

I would die of happiness if this ever became a thing. Then I would promptly come back to life and only play this for the rest of my days. :sparkling_heart:

4 Likes

nothing, which was the point of my post lol

2 Likes

TickTickBoom

29 Likes

Oh it is that time of the year again!

13 Likes

17 Likes

This made me fall of chair lol

5 Likes

url

11 Likes

just posted–
!!! :grin: this is so exciting!

5 Likes

Explode

26 Likes

That was quite the unexpected explosion Travis… nice work!

12 Likes

Well it seems that’s the ‘post-launch content debate’ settled then :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

16 Likes

nobody is happier about this than me :grin::grin:

9 Likes

Feeling “sort of” better now too :sweat_smile:

7 Likes