‘Hitman’ Future after Hitman 3

…I mean. It’s right there…

And no, they won’t. Right now, as customers, we have rights on all products we own. IOI’s EULA trying to play on what counts as a license is just flatly misleading. They cannot revoke your license for the product “at any time”, as that license would be binding with whom you purchase the game from (Steam, Epic, GOG, GMG, etc), not the game publisher. That’s why Valve informs you of your rights as a customer, not IOI, despite their petty protests in their EULA’s. This would only be true if your bought it from IOI (which, for digital games is very unlikely).

First-sale doctrine is a very specific US concept, which does not apply for the rest of the world; there’s a reason I used the EU in my examples, as that is far more wide-reaching (to be fair EU laws don’t apply to the US either, but the EU is so massive, many companies just do blanket changes that affect all regions). Not only that but the US, as you read from the post, has a bit of a conflicting history with decisions like this, so me, a non-American who doesn’t hold any stance in American law, trying to decipher it, is not gonna be a wise move on my part. You can interpret this at me dodging the question, but I simply don’t know enough about US law to give a response here.

I’m not a lawyer either, but IOI’s EULA is mighty suspicious. You don’t need a law degree to know what they’re saying just isn’t enforceable; it’s utter nonsense in legal form. (To answer the question, H3’s EULA is basically identical by the looks of it).

Believe what you wanna believe, I guess

3 Likes

maybe i’m being naive, but don’t all legal agreements involve deterrents or rote threats to drive specific behaviours? that’s what they’re for, surely?

i’m not sure if it means anything, but i got the hitman eula from steam.

the licensing talk is not so much misleading as a necessity. if you look at the ufc que choisir case you mentioned, it says:

The Tribunal de Grande Instance (TGI) has made it clear that because Valve sells you the game for an unlimited time limit, it cannot be considered a subscription and therefore falls under the normal EU rules set in place for Copyright materials.

in an earlier 2013 case, usedsoft gmbh v oracle international corp, a similar distinction was made as a way to continue the practice after a similar ruling:

The definition applied by the CJEU therefore leaves the door open for computer software providers to formulate their services so not to fall within this definition. […]An alternative would be to provide a licence that is not perpetual but limited in time.

the article also talks about using applications/programs that require servers so companies can have more control over reproduction, distribution and shutdowns. make of that what you will.

i actually do feel like i need a law degree to know that :smile:

i’ll tell you what i believe: digital ownership doesn’t seem quite as cut and dry as that post makes it out to be.

2 Likes

For the record, I was talking about IOI here, not Valve, though I am aware that did look a bit weird to read. It ofc applies to Valve to some extent.

The Ross Scott video I linked to talks a lot about this, and how publishers try to use this to get some control over their game.

1 Like

Credit goes to @Fleur for the article

“Right now a major, major new Hitman game: that’s a little bit on hiatus,” Elverdam says, “as we’re building another agent fantasy that’s also taking up a lot of our time.” He means Bond of course - we talk a bit about it in the fuller interview. “But obviously we’ll come back to beloved Agent 47. He’s still very much in the heart of this company.”

Sounds like we won’t be seeing 47 in a new game for a while, but I guess good things come to those that wait :grin:

13 Likes

We had a very long wait between BM and Absolution, and then another long one between Absolution and WoA; we can make it.

I also have a sneaky feeling there will be one sandbox level in the James Bond game where you have to kill some bad guy and there are many ways to do it. Something for the Hitman fans to go “oh!!! This feels familiar.”

8 Likes

It was a pretty short wait in hindsight. Absolution released in November 2012. A little over a year later, in January 2014, IOI revealed the first details about WoA. The announcement trailer followed in June 2015.

To put that in context, it would have been like getting info about the next Hitman game in March 2022, with an announcement trailer coming in August of this year!

2 Likes

I read in one of their job descriptions for Project 007 a while back that applicants would be doing IO’s “trademark sandbox levels”. They know their strengths by now, and I’m sure the Bond game will be at least partially made up of sandboxes, but probably with more stealth/spy gameplay instead of disguises. Would be cool if one of them had a target as well, yeah.

6 Likes

while i’m sure they’d already scored the license and i have no evidence to suggest this is true, certain parts of hitman 3 seemed almost like audition/test pieces for bond. mendoza and berlin, in particular.

3 Likes

Yeah I know we have Freelancer to sort of tie us over, but after reading a few opinions on here over the last couple of days, the general feeling seems like we possibility won’t be seeing 47 return properly until at least 2030 :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

I hope that’s not true, but I guess good things come to those that wait :raised_hands:t2:

2 Likes

I suspect we’ll see him again before that. If they were just now getting started on Project 007, and whatever other stuff they’re working on that nobody cares about and won’t be interested in*, then I’d say that might be true. But, since all of that is already moving along, I’m banking on more of a 4-5 year wait, so around 2027-28. No basis for it, just my suspicion, based off where they likely are on the rest of their to-do list.

*(IOI is kind of the Guillermo del Toro of game companies: preparing to put out all this original stuff as their next project, when all their consumer base wants is Hellboy 3/Hitman)

1 Like

fixed that for you :+1:t4:

6 Likes

Project 007 is an origin story = they are planning to make it a franchise. Probably at least three games. I’m betting at least 7-10 years before a new Hitman installment. Hopefully WOA will have updates though, as it’s their bread and butter at this point.

3 Likes

The mission of IOI Istanbul is to establish a hub for AAA game development in the region and create unique game experiences for our players across the world. Our team in Istanbul will play a significant role in our ambitious productions: Project 007, Project Fantasy and HITMAN.

According to the article of the new studio opening in Istanbul.

5 Likes

It was correct the first time. Other than, between the two respective sources, Pan’s Labyrinth and the first Kane and Lynch, what other projects released by either have been successful as their bases await the next installment to the franchises they’re famous for? A relative handful of interested parties aside, there’s no real interest (currently) in anything else IOI has or will put out except more Hitman, or the never-to-be Hellboy 3 in the case of Mr. Toro. Always subject to change, of course, but for now…

I’d be more than happy for Kane and Lynch 3 and/or Freedom Fighters 2.

4 Likes

Nah, Hakan just needs justifiable places to fly those golden helicopters to.

4 Likes

1 Like

I thought Freedom Fighters wasn’t bad. I seem to remember enjoying playing it.

6 Likes

kane and lynch were janky as fuck but they are a charmingly awful pair. you don’t get many video protagonists with that spot on mix of vile and intrigue. they’re a couple of absolute messes. love em.

i, for one, would like to see more of their poor impulse control and inability to make good long-term decisions, especially if it comes with that awesome dog days aesthetic and diabolical multiplayer.

just wish they’d do for robberies what hitman did for assassinations.

3 Likes

Freedom Fighters is awesome but it was too short.
I remember thinking when I reached the mission where you kill the main antagonist: wait, already?
Music was awesome!

4 Likes