How to easily improve Carpathian Mountains

Having Diana stash something on the train for you works with the story nicely as well - ‘she really is on 47’s side!’

3 Likes

Played a few more times and this is what I think would have been awesome to add.
So the last car, you’ve got that conference room before the show starts, right? Hide a button there that turns that room into the armory. Some classic spy stuff reflecting the previous owner of the train, maybe full of old school soviet style weapons among some newer stuff. Walls flipping over to reveal guns, that sort of thing

Golden Shishaka or whatever the AK is called.

A stash point would be good in the first or second room, suggesting that they’d been confiscated off 47’s body and stored nearby. Not making huge continual sense as you didn’t take them from Mendoza, but it’s a game.

1 Like

Would have been awesome to explore those snowy Carpathian Mountains. It would have given me those Silent Assassin vibes hearing 47’s shoes crunching in the snow :joy::joy::wink:

1 Like

I agree, we should have a loadout as the last unlock mastery but I can see why they did what they did.

On a side note, felt badass when you SASO that place.

1 Like

A container with a 4 digit code with clues to its code along the level so that once you have all the digits you can back track to open it.

The code is “4701”.

Inside is a crate you need to open with Crowbar… and in that crate is an M134 Minigun.

You then unlock a Challenge called: “Old Painless is waiting.” :slight_smile:

9 Likes

:sob:

3 Likes

That’s actually fantastic. A code you couldn’t know until you’d finished the whole level. Why IO?! Why didn’t you have this?

Think cake summed it up well: :sob:

4 Likes

I never said how far into the level you needed to go before you could back track. Could be just the next car in line, genius. :wink:

Even if it did require a longer distance before you knew the whole code, it gives you a reason to play the level again once you know the code.

So stop yer crying. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Personally I really like the idea of a game renown for amazing open sandbox levels throwing a curveball and going for something as super linear as a train as it’s final level, and as it stands I really like the level in its current form. I must say though, I wonder if we’d be having this same conversation if we actually got a 6th full-on 20 mastery sandbox level between Mendoza and the Carpathian Mountains.

There’s only one way I could say they could have improved it and that’s by expanding it: Either in terms of making it wider and having multiple paths through it, or taller with multiple floors. That said, that’s pretty much impossible given how trains work (Although Killzone 2 did something similar resulting in my favorite train level ever, although that’s a totally different for obvious reasons.) Maybe a cargo jet would have been better suited to the sandbox Hitman experience but then we’d lose out on the really quite beautiful weather effects/atmosphere already extant in the level.

Outside of a total remake though I can’t say there’s much to improve on. Adding a minigun would feel weird and tonally dissonant, and I don’t like the idea of going up the level only to go back down, gunning down everyone in my path. Not to say that it’s a flawless level by any means, but I’m actually impressed as to how IO pulled off what they did, what with the inching down the outside/climbing over the tops of train cars.

1 Like

I don’t know how long you may have been a fan of HITMAN, but both of the above are actually callbacks to HITMAN: CODENAME 47 - the very first franchise title from back in 2000. :slight_smile:

The very last level is literally a corridor massacre, with a conveniently placed minigun.

4 Likes

I would very much like to be able to unlock the shirtless 47 “outfit” for use in other levels. For…reasons… :wink:

6 Likes

Full disclosure, I picked up the series with Absolution, but I’ve read up enough on the older games to recognize the callback. Giving it more thought, a minigun could work, assuming it didn’t involve much (if any) backtracking, and IO actually got it feeling right when it comes to the weight/aiming/recoil, etc.

(To be honest, writing this I remembered how much of hassle it is fighting the last few heavily armored guards, and would kill for something to use against them beyond overloading the lights.)

I called it before I even joined this forum, as soon as I saw the prerelease screenshots: Subject 47 is gonna be Hitman 3’s Tactical Wetsuit.

2 Likes

Once you know the code, you can replay the level and then there would be no more backtracking as you would already know the code instantly.

To be fair, I had finished the original game twice before realizing there was a minigun in one of the side rooms.

2 Likes

Most people I’ve talked to and watched found themselves liking the final level. The complaint I more often read is that we should have gotten the 6 sandbox maps AND the train finale. Agree or disagree, that’s more what I see rather than “this map sucks.”

5 Likes

I imagined it going down like that before I played the game itself, ie. there’s a level proper and the train section is either after you exit or pre-level