How will the shutdown of Stadia affect the availability of the exclusive items in the future?

But why Stadia is garbage?
Never had a chance to try it and to be honest don’t have a desire to do so.
But still

2 Likes

It seems that Hitman was the best game for its format because it was apparently laggy

3 Likes

Stadia’s garbage because Google is not a video game develope OR a video game console manufacturer.

So they brought nothing to the table.

The only exclusive titles they had were glorified mobile games. The only AAA titles they had were third-party, multiplatform games that were better on Xbox and PS.

Garbage.

2 Likes

But are other game streaming platforms developers?
I think it’s not their purpose to develop games, their purpose is to provide a way to play the games on old PCs or laptops, and as a bonus on other devices, like phones or tablets.
As they say all you need is a strong (speedy) and stable internet connection. Everything else they will do for you.
The idea itself is good I think. Maybe the thing is in its implementation.

And by the way, as far as I know, Google had a game developing department, but they scrapped it down

2 Likes

The funniest thing about Stadia, developed by the most prolific search engine company in the world, is that it didn’t have a search function to look up games for a year and a half after launch

6 Likes

They had two first party studios, and neither of them made a single game before they were shut down.

And I disagree about cloud based gaming being a good idea. It’s not.

Because you don’t actually own anything, hardware or software. Zero.

Garbage.

Because you end up with this kind of shit:

5 Likes

Well Stadia didn’t allow you to play games you already own, but platforms like GeForce Now let you access all the games you already have on Steam and etc… which is much better than having to buy them again just for cloud gaming

I do think cloud gaming is a good thing, it’s just not well executed most of the time

1 Like

It’s good for companies that can’t/don’t want to make hardware\software but ultimately it’s bad for gamers because in the end, you don’t actually own anything. Come January of next year, the only thing Stadia “owners” will have left after 4 years of supporting that platform is a controller. And a shitty controller at that.

3 Likes

Yes, but again GeForce Now lets you play games you already own, and even if those are still limited to Steam, Epic, Origin etc… DRMs, it’s much less likely that those platforms will disappear unlike Stadia as both a platform and a marketplace

1 Like

I dont care about the discussion of the merits of cloud gaming. I just want the suits

3 Likes

We’re talking about two different things even though both are considered “Cloud Gaming”.

Now lets you play games you already own

That’s the difference: with Stadia you don’t actually own ANYTHING. No hardware and no software. Come January, Stadia players will have zip. That’s the kind of “Cloud Gaming” I’m saying is garbage.

It falls on ioi to release those items to the platform you’ll be playing on, moving forward. They could release all Stadia exclusive items to the remaining platforms (Xbox, PS, PC). All depends on if they want to. Not sure how it would/could work for ALL the stuff you unlocked on Stadia (including progress) being unlocked on a different platform!?

1 Like

I have to disagree, as you have to pay a fee to play games you already own in contrary to Stadia, where you could just buy the game and play as much as you want.

See my worry is more that theyll be unable to because of a potential deal made to keep them exclusive even if the service has now gone under

Google Stadia is shutting down, not Google. They still have other services they need/want people to use. That’s why they’re refunding everything: to avoid drama and upsetting their user base.

Given that, I doubt Google would expect game developers to honor exclusivity deals for specific items or games on their dead/failed platform. Because that will create drama and negative press for them.

Plus, I doubt ioi (or other companies) would comment about the situation if they knew they had signed a deal with Google that would lock those items/games in limbo if Stadia failed/disappeared.

4 Likes

If that were true then they wouldn’t be refunding people. Not doing so would violate basic consumer rights in every first world nation (especially the EU). Digital goods are still goods. If you purchased a game, be it streaming or digital the onus is on Google. Epic, Valve and others to provide you with it, with very few exceptions. And if they can’t, then they have to refund you, transfer the game to somewhere else (see: Ultraviolet) or get sued from every interested party.

Physical is a tad different, as that grants you with a true ownership in perpetuity license (which digital goods also have, but I’d rather not go down the rabbit hole on that right now); outside of warranties and refund windows, GAME or Best Buy are in the clear (unless they knowingly sell something defective, hence the little posters they put up when that happens, they have a duty of care there).

You do own what you purchased; them refunding you is the best possible course of action they could’ve taken. Stop perpetuating this lie already.

Customers who do cloud gaming should be aware that their access is hard limited to the service lifetime.

That does not mean this service is anti-customer. It is like saying taking a taxi is anti-customer because you don’t own the car and it’s driver.

Cloud gaming has it’s right to exist, given how expensive hardware became and energy as well if you live in certain European countries.

Had they tried to do what GeForce NOW did, then that may have actually worked quite well, but their overambition and hubris was their downfall.

It’s still true regardless of the refund. Because in the end, none of the people who used Stadia will have any games, game progress, achievements, etc. come January 18th 2023. Google owns all of your Stadia content and has complete control over it. You think people prefer a refund over 4+ years of time and effort invested in games for that platform!? If you have zero say in what happens to your property then how can you actually own it!?

This is an ongoing debate (been around since digital content first appeared) because the biggest flaw with ALL digital content is: you only “own” what you can access.

And just to jump back to the refund point: the only reason Google is refunding people is because like I said, they have existing platforms (Search, YouTube, etc ) so they don’t want to alienate any users.

If this had been a start up company (not a multi-billion dollar tech giant) no one would’ve got a refund. They would have simply filed for bankruptcy and went out of business.

3 Likes

And that is actually exactly why i ONLY buy disc variants of gams if i can help it!

2 Likes

Thank you for selecting one part of that comment sans context.

No start-up company has the infrastructure google has, so I’d find that very hard to picture, let-alone happen. On-Live, something Stadia was surprisingly similar to, pre-dated many of the consumer laws about digital ownership in the EU, and so is basically the only thing in recent memory that got away with not refunding anyone (That I recall anyway).

To use the example I alluded to in my comment, There was a service called “Ultraviolet”, which let you have digital copies of DVD’s and Blu Rays you bought physically. The service shut down due to flagging support, but still gave the option on their site to transfer digital ownership of those codes to Google Play (which merged with Youtube later on because Google did a Google), Vudu, and a bunch of other vendors. And this was a company that was in the process of shutting down; so it is possible.

Otherwise, you seem to have glossed over what my comment was talking about.

It’s not about preference, and you seem to be handing out a lot of loaded questions here. I’d rather the money back than nothing at all (which is why these laws exist; to protect customers). Even if I lose my progress, I at least get compensation. I agree that it’s dumb that I would lose so much time in, say, RDR2, but I’m not saying it’s a better solution or a more preferable one.

Hell, IOI seems motivated to make sure save progress can be saved.

1 Like