Languages you speak

Chinese (Mandarin): Native

English: fluent enough for hobbies and casual conversation

Japanese: basic. Learned from college class for 2 years, watched anime forever. Mada mada desu yo!

Taiwanese Hokkien: know a little. Grandma only knows this one, not so much of Mandarin. It’s a bit hard to talk to her or understanding what she says. Don’t worry, we still love each other. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Response to @Hichkas

C, Java, PHP, SQL: a little
Python: alright :grin:

13 Likes

Serbian: native

English: advanced.

8 Likes

Dutch (native), English (fluent), French (fluent)
Got quite extensive German vocabulary but my grammar ist Scheisse.
Passive Spanish.

11 Likes

It’s never too late to start :wink: Particularly if you have people to practice with.

7 Likes

Nah, would be extremely hard. The only reason I was able to learn English was because I was glued to the TV, Cartoon Network to be exact, ever since my parents bought a colored TV when I was around 4. At that age I also learned English words / songs in pre-kindergarten. I was able to memorize the words and the meanings by some of the gesture or events in cartoons. Old Hanna-Barbera cartoons are a good example.
By the third grade in school, when they started teaching English, I was already a “pro” at speaking. :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

Romanian, native.
Italian, native.
And English with a good accent natives told me. I try my best :smiley:

14 Likes

I speak:

• Norwegian (Native),
  • Norwegian Sign-language (School),
  • English (as fluent as my native language I’d say),
    And I am currently learning Italian. It started as a passion, but got more intense as I found a romantic interest.

Learning languages is fun, I think. And I want to keep going after Italian as well. I have a rather intense list of languages I want to be able to speak, including Spanish, German & some languages of the East.

13 Likes

What is a bit fun with me though, and that I am quite proud of, is that I am legally deaf - yet I have always had quite the ear for languages, I mean… That sounds like an impossible combination.

9 Likes

Replace TV with YouTube and that’s my lil brother. Never understood how he has learned English from YouTube by watching Minecraft and Among Us videos.

8 Likes

Never understood how people learn languages by watching or reading something.
Maybe I’m oldschool and trust in standard learning. School, college, courses…

3 Likes

I think that’s because of motivation purposes. It works for me. Hobbies are the reason I got to learn English. Grand Theft Auto series didn’t have official Chinese version until GTAV, so I used to learn the language by constantly going bowling with my cousin. :bowling:

I watch anime with original voice over, too. Realistically, Japanese don’t speak like anime characters. But you get to learn a few phrases from it.

6 Likes

English, and Spanish profanity. Have wanted to learn each foreign language Resident Evil has used since 4 so I can understand what talking enemies are shouting at me.

3 Likes

I recently found something relating to this. If you are interested you might want to look out for the hole in the wall experiments.

Here’s a TED talk:

I’m not sure how accurate this is to actual learning but from what I understand from the talk most children do not need formal education to learn something properly as long as they have access to resources like books, movies, the internet, etc.

I also found another video from someone who learned English from Runescape:

6 Likes

English: native
Russian: don’t know what level I’m at technically but I’ve been studying it everyday for 2 years. it’s a beautiful, complicated language

9 Likes

I bet any non-native language is complicated :slight_smile:
Good for you nevertheless

8 Likes

English
French (learned for 8 years, yet I don’t know how to say “floor”)

8 Likes

Well since no ones said it…

The Language of Love. Fluently. With my weiner.

And English. Also with my weiner. :joy:

7 Likes

native language: English
German: know a little bit and chose it cause my great grandfather was German.

3 Likes

my first langage is the native tongue of more than 200 million people worldwide,guess what ?

• french and english i can say like native speaker.
2 Likes

I’ll guess Arabic. I think there’s more than 200 million native speakers for only a handful of languages and you ruled out English and French.

3 Likes