Map lightning/bloom discussion

Yeesh… And I initially thought they came up with some groundbreaking compression method that would allow to retain quality while reducing file size. Oh well…

Damn peasants… :laughing: (kidding oc; I´m actually happy for the size reduction - if that persists - but wouldn´t mind sacrificing the disk space cause, you know, it´s Hitman :man_shrugging: )

Which one was the removal of that initial horrendous filter/tint: still 2018 or 2019?

Back on Sapienza - I didn´t manage to play it enough before the patch, but was it this bad in some of the interiors??? (upper pic is H3 now, lower is H2)

I mean sure, it´s their game, but wtf? I know interior lighting in this mission has been a long-time issue, but this is a whole new level. Or am I missing something in the settings?

13 Likes

Strangely enough I literally just played Sapienza and did the therapist method.

It’s horrendous inside that room.

5 Likes

Removal of the tint was 2019.

1 Like

Ah, cool, for a moment I thought my memory was failing me.

After poking a bit around Hokkaido, I have to say I have slightly mixed feelings. It´s a tad bit darker than in H2 (as are probably all the H1 maps), and occasionally feels a bit blurry/foggy, though I suppose that´s mainly due to the lowered textures and LOD. Some things feel a little better, some a little worse. The volcano in particular took quite a hit in that regard… Trees are more rich though and water looks nicer.

H2

H3

H2

H3

H2

H3

H2

H3

H2

H3

H2

H3

H2

H3

5 Likes

The patch lowered the artificial sharpening post-processing I’m pretty sure, which I personally am VERY happy about, but it might be why you think it’s blurrier now. Could always add sharpening through your GPU control panel if you like.

3 Likes

Problem is I didn´t start playing H1 maps in H3 until three days ago, so I have no clue what got changed by the patch in terms of visuals aside from Sapienza getting slightly tinted (which now got me supremely paranoid about the visuals in general), and can only compare with H2 :confused:

I´ll give the sharpening a go if I feel like I need it, thanks for the tip. I would definitely want them to revert the Sapienza change though, and that interior lighting needs fixing no matter what.

1 Like

What sharpening setting are you using with H2? It had a setting choice, unlike H3, which launched with what seemed like “high” on by default. Excess sharpening really looks horrible to me, so I was thrilled to load the game up post patch and see it toned down. I don’t know why they don’t just bring back the settings option though.

2 Likes

Moderate. I just tried different settings of it in H2, and having it off seems like what H3 has (comparing the volcano that is).

2 Likes

It seems slight changes were made to all season one legacy maps in H3 and I think I like them all more now, like, Bangkok has less annoying orange filter, not entirely though. I don’t recall if I ever experienced it, but I want Grey Colorado back, please, god.

Sapienza looked amazing at H3 launch, kinda meh after the update, why IOI? I have barely had any issues with the game since launch but that might change with future patches, hoping for the best, though.

EDIT: And the new Sapienza background pic is amazing, but the actual level’s new lighting, hell no. Don’t add an on and off switch for bloom, make a slider like for gamma correction, certain levels of bloom are nice, but when you’re getting bombarded while trying to take a nice screenshot it’s not cool.

6 Likes

From the little I´ve played it, it seemed actually more on the purple side, with the golden-coloured areas standing out more :sweat_smile: Had a warmer feeling to it.

Glad I´m not the only one who has issues with it. It was completely fine pre-patch, but I don´t know if the interiors were as bad or not.

That is indeed the question… Wish they´d give us a quick feedback on that :persevere:

Man, bloom toggling, and correction sliders for gamma/contrast/tint would be a godsend, not to mention having the sharpening option back. Everyone could at least adjust it to their liking…

6 Likes

Playing Sapienza…

Outside, this location is gorgeous. I honestly don’t have an issue with outside lighting at all.

Inside however, and this is true of Paris too, so much of it is far, far too dark.
If I’m struggling to see NPCs standing around an area then that’s a problem.
I’ve had to resort to using instinct mode to see people amidst the shadows, and that…is stupid.

Edit- to clarify, when I say ‘the shadows’ I don’t mean intentionally dark areas where NPCs are hiding.
I mean, I couldn’t see a villa caruso guard standing at the top of the stairs, just off of a well lit corridor.

5 Likes

IO solution: We have removed all interiors in Sapienza as there were various problems with it. :rofl: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

11 Likes

Or the entire level :rofl:

3 Likes

I think that’s a good thing because people can add sharpening in their control panel, but I can’t remove sharpening that’s forced on. Still, a settings option would be best for everyone.

1 Like

On a slightly different note: I enjoy the new reflection system as much as the next person, but does anybody else feel like there are surfaces that shouldn´t really be reflecting stuff all that much? Such as this concrete walkway in Hokkaido? (I mean yeah, I could argue it´s probably covered with some slight frost, but still…)

5 Likes

Fair enough and good point. I don´t really resort to modifying stuff in the control panel unless necessary to solve a particular issue, so I´d be all in for a settings option.

They’re over done all over the place IMO. Even parking lots with old concrete floors reflect like a mirror, it’s silly. They just want to show off their tech I guess, even though SSR has been around forever now. I’m not sure ray tracing will fix it either, since it’s based on what you set the reflection level of a surface to and IOI seems to think concrete is a mirror. :crazy_face:

9 Likes

Right?? :sweat_smile: I wish they´d reconsider it in future updates and make only the proper surfaces reflect like that…

1 Like

can you check to see if the concrete “railing” (the waist-high wall on the right) also has reflections?

if it doesnt have reflections, then the concrete floor being shiny is probably intentional, maybe simulating the frost a bit.

1 Like