Movies You’ve Only Just Watched

For DiCaprio, he could not relate to the extreme racism exuded by the Candy character, and Donald Sutherland is actually a very gentle man who despises facism, and Snow is exactly that.

No sane and well-adjusted person could relate to him but it isn’t hard to play a racist, racists are simple idiots no matter how refined they might be. Candy is just one of DiCaprio’s roughish villain roles only he is racist.

I mean I can’t remember those movies so I am going to take you point.

@Accidental_Kills98
Dicaprio plays a bad guy in Catch Me if you Can, Wolf of WallStreet, Django, and Gangs of New York and he also plays J Edgar Hoover and Jay Gatsby as well as Han Solo type guy in Blood Diamond. Often when he plays a bad guy he’s an antihero though and you’ll find yourself pulling for his character. Additionally he plays a total jerk in Dons Plum but there isn’t really any good guys in that movie or any plot. It’s just a bunch of friends in their 20s doing what they know they can get away with.

That’s still only 8 films out of the more than 30 he has starred in.

4 Likes

And all of those roles are some of his best so clearly being a villain isn’t out of DiCaprio’s range as an actor.

But I really don’t want to debate acting especially since I thought I was done doing it yesterday. I have already moved on at the end of the day Tom Hanks, DiCaprio and whoever else are going to do what any good actor does: Any role that earns them money to buy sports cars, earns them little statues and lets them stay in the Screen Actors Guild for another year.

5 Likes

While I’m stuck in quarantine, ive decided to watch some movies that were on my list for a while.

Dog Soldiers was pretty good, a Werewolf Movie from 2002 or so and while it wasnt as good as Ginger Snaps its quite entertaining.

Falling Down from 1993 with Michael Douglas is a very good movie. Who doesn’t dream about just stepping out of their car and start a rampage? :smile:

6 Likes

Uh the people that made Falling Down? Isn’t that film supposed to be about how emotionally immature, emotionally unsatisfied and petulant spree shooters are?

4 Likes

While I’m deliberately stuck in my room, I’ve decided to watch some movies that were on my list for a while. Watched 5 movies last week.

Dr. Strangelove: How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (196x)

Dr. Strangelove was hilarious, though thinking these fears were actually at high stakes back in the day makes me quite sad. Kubrick did a darn good job showing the film from the American POV without supporting it, and the dark comedy hereby shows how wars get started (Some retarted asshole tries to be a hero over nonsense) and how the effect is.

The Fault in Our Stars (2014)

The overall was quite good, but I can take out two points:

• Augustus’ character was displayed with advanced levels of Hollywoodic “teenage boi” cliché.
  • The story seemed like a few unconnected strings, like they’d fast forwarded it. Reading the book (which I have already started) probably helps with it.

Wargames (1983)

Top Gun style 80s popular culture where generals go “mericaaa!!!” but at least they brought the point that “In a game of Thermonuclear war, the best move is not to play”.

Fargo (1996)

Yeah, I die, you die, we all die! Yeah!
This is Fargo in a nutshell.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012)

The book was better.

6 Likes

So… anyone here has letterboxd? This is mine: ‎Mehdi’s profile • Letterboxd

For those who don’t know, its a cool app where you con sign up and rate movies… and of course follow your friends.

1 Like

If ever we had a chance to know each other better i can completely explain the meter and criteria i have for movies, because cinema is sth for me that I am following seriously for a long time… but for now if you scroll down and see my ratings, you would probably know my taste better, for example, i prefer classic movies… But thanks bro…

He lost me after giving Inglorious Basterds, Inception, Deadpool, and Guardians of the Galaxy 1s or less…

That explains it. I would either focus on that (as opposed to things you know you probably won’t enjoy as much) or grade newer films on a curve (as it is, your page reads like you giving anything more than a 2 means it’s a masterpiece).

2 Likes

Not true. Watch The Apartment (1960), i think there’s nobody who would watch this movie and doesn’t enjoy very much.
I can name a lot more

I can say I didn´t enjoy it very much. And I say that as someone who generally enjoys Billy Wilder´s films a lot. But I found this one to be significantly inferior to his other work. Rather boring and average (not sure I´d have a higher opinion of it if it was someone else´s film, but doubt it). I had known it´s a highly regarded film, so I was pretty disappointed after watching it.

1 Like

Im currently watching Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City and its abysmal.
It’s like a Fanfiction Parody or something like that, but worse.

2 Likes

this is the funniest movie i’ve ever seen and one of my all-time favourites. glad you liked it; you have great taste.

4 Likes

“Gentlemen, You can’t fight in here; This is the War Room!”

makesweet-l0z7ry

2 Likes

Okay, you know what films need. More male full frontal nudity.

7 Likes

Then help them out on the task :thinking:

1 Like

Unbearable weight of massive talent with Nic Cage + Pedro Pascal + Alessandra Mastronardi.

It’s funny but not funny enough. It’s serious but not enough. I’m not saying they should have abandoned the humour or gone slap stick, but the mix was off. Fun to see Cage poking fun at himself, I just wish it had been funnier in parts without ruining the story.

I actually compare it very much with JCVD which is not funny at all, but similar in concept. Jean Claude plays a version of himself, washed up and struggling to stay both relevant and financially above water. This should have been better but I think the Jean Claude film was the better of the two. Pedro is super talented, Alessandra is both solid as an actress and just smoking hot, and Nic Cage is always entertaining, but if you don’t love the 3 of them you’ll be unimpressed. The idea of a movie where a star (or has been) plays a pseudo version of themselves is a fun concept and I’d welcome more films like this, but this one missed the mark and it pains me say it but JCVD is the better film. Go watch that one and call me in the morning.

2 Likes

Just saw The Black Phone.

It’s… I dunno… horror movie is probably misleading? It’s more like a creepy thriller with a ghost story thrown in there.

Either way, it’s set in a small US town in the 70s, and follows high school kid Finney and his sister as the town sees the disappearance of a lot of kids to a kidnapper/serial killer the papers call “the Grabber”.

Ethan Hawke plays “The Grabber” and though we never truly see his face he does a great job with the part.
Young Jared Padalecki lookalike Mason Thames plays Finney, and if I was a gambling man I’d bet we’ll see more of him in the future.

Anyways, it’s a well made, creepy ghost story/thriller that just kind of works. Reminded me a bit of “Summer of 84”, which was another really good little thriller (though without a supernatual angle).

4 Likes

The Gray Man
A Netflix $200 million (comedy) action movie. :dollar: Fun to watch, like Red Notice.
The fact that the CIA is the hero’s enemy made me think of the Jason Bourne saga.
Dynamic drone shots that I had never seen before and cool plan connectors. :film_projector:
But the special effects… :sweat_smile:
Chris Evans is the sadistic b@stard that we love to hate.
Ana De Armas was much better in 007 where she was (also a sidekick) an exotic spy woman. :dancer:
Ryan Gosling would always be the strong silent guy from Drive :oncoming_automobile: or the lousy and comical detective from The Nice Guys :male_detective: for me, but not the spy who takes himself seriously in this film and resists all injuries.
At least, John Wick offers choreographed scenes that reinvent themselves, on motorcycles, on horseback, etc, with multiple weapons.

Now, I want a crossover to see Ryan Reynolds and Ryan Gosling in the same movie. :sunglasses: :boom:

2 Likes