Movies You’ve Only Just Watched

Do you know of Marvel Legends show on D+? recapping the MCU before major films come out? It’s still a thing.

There can be a bit too many episodes sometimes (GOTG3 got six, for characters who mostly share plenty of scenes already)
However, the Peter Quill, Gamora, and Rocket episodes are the most comprehensive and it looks like the editors had the most fun with.

Figured I’d share since they’re great, they’re putting them on YT now too

Gamora | Marvel Studios' Legends - YouTube

Rocket | Marvel Studios' Legends - YouTube

3 Likes

Ooh, okay, note for self, but also tip for other people: If you want to experience the special 4D Seats at a movie theatre (the ones that shake around with action movies), it seems that if you sit just 2-3 rows ahead of those seats, they’re usually strong enough to vibrate your seats by-proxy.

We saw Guardians 3 just a few rows ahead of the seats at the back – the red seats that shake – and with every action moment in the film (and even some trailers before the movie) our own seats could be felt vibrating with events on-screen. But not because of the sound! No, it was no IMAX thing, just a regular theater venue.
Honestly kinda improved the experience, without having to pay or experience the full thing…

8 Likes

The Rocky Horror Picture Show

It’s one wild, sexual, goofy musical movie that is “enhanced” by a sing-along, comment-slinging audience participation cult following.

It’s a movie about a mysterious doctor in drag who keeps two humans captive at his castle after their car breaks down. He then performs various sexually-charged experiments on them and his other patrons that are there… uhhh it’s a lot to explain to sum it up concisely.

Tim Curry plays this mysterious doctor, in a very revealing costume complete with fishnets and tall, high heels. He puts so much lustful energy into the role and embraces the gender-freeing persona that Dr. Frank N Furter emodies. It’s a really good performance.

Much of the ensemble also does a fantastic, weird job at being his servants of the house, but really, you’re here for Tim Curry strutting around the place.

We attended a “sing-along” version, and apparently this movie (and the musical its based on) is notorious for having a bunch of inside jokes to call-out and reference throughout the show.
Whenever Brad or Janet appear on screen you’re supposed to say “Asshole!” or “Slut!” respectively, as foreshadowing to things they do later in the film.
Whenever the Narrator appears you’re supposed to boo and make fun of his lack of visible neck in his suit, as he really drags down the movie for random appearances.

There’s also plenty of line or choreo set-ups for the truly die hard fans.
“Say something in French!” an audience member says, as Tim Curry ‘replies’ “Enchante” in the film… Or, “Show us your ears!” in a scene just before a character turns-to-profile, and strokes the side of their hair.

It’s very wild and at times I felt like I was in a room where everyone but me was on an inside joke, but there were plenty of comments and zingers to be flung throughout the film that kinda enhanced the experience and really showed how crazy of a CULT hit this production is… It’s cool and impressive how this wild thing even got made lol.

4 Likes

Decided to take a gander at the Live Action Little Mermaid with my sister. While I think it’s okay to revisit old properties every so often, I’m getting a little tired of companies like Disney having the need to go back and make their classics in live action especially when it’s muddled with plenty of CGI that just isn’t good compared to the Animation Cells of old that add plenty of more charm, personality, and life to a project. I think what I’m trying to say is live action Sebastian and Flounder are the things of nightmares and make me not want to go into the ocean cause they have a more realistic look to them.

Uhh, the story is bloated. They managed to take the story of the original and make it a whole 1 Hour and 2 Minutes longer than the original. Within this extended cut you get a lot of weird and pointless scenes that could have been left on the cutting room floor. There is one scene involving Ariel in her grotto that’s especially pointless and pads out the run time. Exposition is really my biggest complaint here cause it’s just a time waster and again extends the runtime aimlessly.

Performances were fine, Prince Eric was handled better in the original. Ariel’s actor was good outside of a few choice like deliveries. I can’t blame the actors since they did their job. I do feel like character wise I prefer the originals film handling of the ending with the ship set piece revolving around a specific impaling scene. This time around the roles are reversed, but I’m a sucker for full circle moment cliches. It’s a change that will either stick with you or it won’t.

Lastly, one stupid complaint, but I hate how the hair looks underwater. It just bothers me and I can’t quite put my finger on it, but it just looks fake and I wasn’t sold in it. I’m assuming it was CGI but idk.

All and all, the Live Action Remake was okay, it has a lot of issues that mainly stem from the over use of CGI and a bloated runtime that’s just unnecessary. If you haven’t seen the original then there’s a lot to enjoy here. If you have seen it you might me more so on the fence with me about this movie.

4 Likes

I turned on Into the SpiderVerse today just to watch the first 10-minutes or so, the intro and where Miles gets his powers is so fun.

Then 2 hours went by and I ended up just watching the whole thing. I love this movie :heart: This is probably my 4th, 5th time seeing it? Still so good :sweat_smile:

The sequel’s trailers seem to be focusing a lot on a “you can’t save everyone you love” arc, but the first movie also had this, and showed Miles overcoming this and the expectations people have of him that he couldn’t.
He saved all of New York, and all the spider-people to go to their home universes. He did that!

Trailers are vague, it’s probably some different context required, but it’s a strange sounding re-tread given what little we know so far.

7 Likes

Watched yesterday the “Across The Spiderverse” and technically this was an improvement, you could see that they went above and beyond (haha, beyond) with the animations and artstyle, but both movies are equally good in terms of plots and and all, and overall I really enjoyed it.

6 Likes

Across the Spider-Verse: Best Animated Feature 2023 Hands Down No Contest!!!

Oh my gosh this movie was better than I could have dreamed. :dizzy:

The animation and art goes to crazy levels of fun to showcase the different spider people of different universes.
Its a celebration of art and animation for so much of its runtime. The artists are gods. I hope they were treated well and no crunch occured.

They bring in plenty of comic-book flair that kinda trumps the original’s use of it, its so dang fun

The story is a fantastic high-stakes adventure that celebrates and takes great cues from iconic moments in the mythos of Spider-Man.

The references are plentiful, but not proudly showcased for every single Spider that appears on screen. But some do get that treatment, both from some fan-favourites over the years and wacky, obscure Spiders from the comics.

The movie also has some great surprising connections to the first film, in its story, characters, even in the score – I recognized a few tracks from it.
If they’ve got this fantastic follow-up (that actually can stand on its own well, as it recaps and grows off of the OG’s themes in conscise ways) I can’t wait to see what they’ll pull off to end this trilogy in the 3rd film – out Next March!! 10 months!! It might be the best comic book trilogy ever.

Someone please geek out about this movie with me pleeeeease I NEED to talk more about this without putting everything under a spoiler OMG

5 Likes

I love when a movie uses alternate styles for their studio logos.

7 Likes

Anyone seen About my Father yet? I love Sebastian Maniscalco and I love Robert DeNiro but I have this strange feeling all the really good scenes were stuffed into the trailer. A large portion of Seb’s standup routines come from growing up in his fathers home, but he can say things differently on stage than the way you put them in a family movie. I still wanna see it, but hoping someone can tell me it’s at least worth the price of admission.

3 Likes

I’ve seen Interstellar a fair few times but recently I got to experience it on 4K on a friend’s TV! It was really good and if anyone is interested in space movies and science fiction, I really recommend watching it. The great and talented Matthew McConaughey leads the cast alongside Anne Hathaway, Jessica Chastain, Michael Caine and Matt Damon etc! It’s so emotionally powerful when they tell the tale of humanity’s conquest for survival through the love we have for our species to continue beyond the event horizon.

There is a particularly powerful poem that one of the characters say as the others take off on their voyage to find a suitable planet for Humanity! The first stanza is very effective, and taking me back to my Literature classes, I like analysing it too.

‘Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.’

6 Likes

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-verse

No other words than wow and a pure flabbergasted creatively inspired face that can’t be replicated in an online format

6 Likes

You’d have to line up surprised faces from alternate versions of yourself in a row, but even then that won’t be enough. :laughing:

5 Likes

I hope a ton of fanart will show my enjoyment of the movie, because iam not the same person as i was before this

4 Likes

Let’s cluckin gooooo

4 Likes

Saw Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.3 yesterday. It was quite entertaining and a good end to a trilogy.
James Gunn’s sensibilities don’t really jive with me though, everything feels like he goes just a bit over the line into hamfisted territory. This includes humor as well as drama. Luckily he doesn’t do anything quite as egregious as the Hasselhoff scene in Vol.2, which ruined an otherwise powerful moment. He still does do that stuff… it’s just not as bad.
The movie could’ve easily been 40 minutes shorter. The entire sequence with the OrgoCorp base where they retrieve info felt almost entirely pointless, even though I enjoyed a certain actor being in there.

I don’t know much about Adam Warlock, but I definitely feel like they did the character dirty.

7 Likes

Furious X.
Didn’t expect much and I watch those films exclusively because I’ve watched previous ones.
Not impressed. Just another fairytale where nobody dies (but I’m not saying that somebody must… well, except villians, obviously, like it happens in the end of the movies)

3 Likes

Transformers : Rise of the Beast

Went to the Cinema to watch Spiderman Into the Verse but then this poster changed my mind. I thought Transformers was to be released next week.

Enjoyed the movie overall and here are my spoiler free comments -

1. Hasbro is going to compete with Marvel and DC and at the end of the movie was one of the best part - the more the competition, the more quality of movie we see.

2. The story was not that wow factor - same old alien attack, portal opening, cat and mouse game between good and evil, rebirth etc etc - maybe a set is prepared for next installment - joint installment maybe, maybe my expectation was high. However the story is above average and not too complicated, my 60 yrs mom liked it and everyone in the cinema enjoyed it - 80% attendance.

3. Good timing of the release as some heavy weights from Tom Cruise and Nolan are in coming days.

4. Mirage - a transformer was focussed more than Bumble Bee, and personally I believe each movie installment must focus a transformer.

5. Unfortunately I was expecting more screen time from Optimus Primal (Gorilla) and his Team. The Cheetah and Rhino was behind the back at the screen, hope to see them in next instalment.

6. You will get action in almost after every 10 mins of the movie. Some climax was predictabe however.

It is a good movie, I suggest it is good to watch with friends and family in the Cinemas (3D glasses). Dont wait for OTT !!

2 Likes

The Super Mario Bros Movie

It was fun. It was good. Not much more to say than that, this wasn’t groundbreaking cinema.

It fulfilled its purpose of putting a visually-stunning 3D animated movie of Mario on-screen. It was chock full of references to the games, often inserting them into the plot just because it needed to reference it somewhere.

Events flow by quickly, there is very little pause or reflection that a character has. It’s just “scene A events - very brief dialogue about needing to do Scene B - Scene B starts immediately”
Things happen and are shown off with no explanation whatsoever, simply because it’s just a silly reference the fans will get.

Why does Brooklyn have a wormhole to another dimension/planet in its sewer system? Who cares, you already know it’s a green pipe.
What makes blocks float in the Mushroom Kingdom? Why? All you get is a “these blocks are… floating?!” and you’ll be happy about it!!
Why does this group have to make a convoy out of Go-Karts? Who cares, it’s Mario Kart Reference Time!

The voice acting – Chris Pratt’s brooklyn accent was pretty soft for most of the film. Surprisingly he does an over-exaggerated, really good impression of Mario’s italian accent in the beginning of the film, but that’s it. He gives a nice, subdued “positive guy” performance, but it’s nothing to applaud too hard at.
Charlie Day’s Luigi captures the anxiety-riddled shakiness of the character’s voice well. Yeah.
Anya Taylor-Joy’s Peach is… Peach. She has a kind of regal voice and commanding persence to her Toads, and that’s also kinda it.
Jack Black does a great, crazed & angry performance as Bowser, but his voice is still pretty recognizable as Jack Black too. Ehh it is what it is.
Keegan-Michael Key is the standout superstar of the movie. Dude is unrecognizable as the “Leader/Brave Toad” who follows Mario throughout the movie. A great high-pitched squeal of a voice, it’s hard to believe it’s actually K-MK.
I heard Seth Rogen’s iconic guffaw coming out of Donkey Kong’s mouth and I shuddered.

The animation and character designs are especially great. The texturing on Mario and Luigi’s outfits is so neat when in a close-up. The fight scenes are snappy and quick, but have a fun energy to them.
Bowser is both menacing and adorable. When his eyebrows raise up, and you see how big (and front-loaded) they made his eyes compared to his game counterpart, dude made me “awww” a few times in the film.

However, Bowser’s characterization is expected and yet still pretty shallow. He’s got an obsessive desire to woo Peach, and the only reason he hates (or even finds out about) Mario is because he just happened to randomly appear and give him potential competition.
A lot of the characters are very simply-motivated in this film. Only one who really has something of an arc is Mario, overcoming his self-doubt from his own family and making something of himself. The other characters are just there to support.

Oh yeah and the Licensed Music is baffling. It feels like a way to “make the movie cool with the kids/adults” when Mario is already cool and recognizable. Also probably just to have a cool riff to use for a given scene. No idea why they used Thunderstruck other than the cool guitar build-up.
I feel like they could have just used an epic rendition of one of Koji Kondo’s many themes from the series. A lot of the other original music was fun to listen to and were great takes on the originals.

Thankfully the climax fight doesn’t use a licensed song. I was fearing it.

All in all it’s another by-the-numbers Illumination film (that I’m sure Nintendo also had a hand in pushing them to include X Y Z), but very barebones as a satisfying, layered, narrative story.

I will give the writers/designers credit for referencing Jump Man in a sly way.

Mario and Luigi have a rivalry with Spike, their old construction-worker boss who thinks their new Plumbing gig isn’t gonna turn out well.
In Jump Man Mario’s original job lore was that he was a Carpenter. Until later he was officially a Plumber.
I thought that was a really neat, hidden touch to this random new character.

4 Likes

THEY REMOVED A DONKEY KONG COUNTRY ORCHESTRAL SUITE FOR TAKE ON ME CHICKEN, THEY REMOVED JUNGLE JAPES TO JUNGLE MY JIMMIES

6 Likes

Damn, I have no connection to DK series but that’s sucky

Also yeah AC/DC was only used for like… 30 seconds for that one kart-unveiling scene?
No Sleep Till Brooklyn was used because… Brooklyn?
Take On Me was for… idk why…
some really inspiring song choices from the music team

I will say I Need a Hero is cliche as all hell now to use in your “hero movie”, but there’s something about “He’s gotta be strong, and he’s gotta be Larger Than Life” that makes me forgive its inclusion, a little bit. The mushroom reference is too good.

on another note, the adorable Luma being a depressed deadpan was also cliche, but my favourite thing from this movie.
Probably because there’s like a literal toddler behind the voice, and all the clashing elements of it come together very well.

2 Likes