My play style, finally explained

It only applies when someone is about to spot you, but it has saved me the split second needed to avoid that.

1 Like

Yesterday I was playing Sapienza on master. I was trying to take out Desantis by waking up the P.I., letting him talk to her, and then taking her out after their conversation in that sea-side tunnel where that blocked up entrance to the underground lab is.

I thought I was being very clever figuring out just how and when to do it. Interrupted their conversation with a coin, got the P.I. to walk away, snapped Desantis’ neck without anyone noticing, hid the body, and then walked away with no one the wiser.

I suppose the fiber wire would have made that easier but I was doing it with a suit-only, no knock-out, no exploits, no load out strategy. I got it done after a few hours of screwing around but I’m sure that others would look at that as an extremely trivial maneuver.

2 Likes

Regarding to this, the ICA cleans up after 47, though this might actually be valid once he doesn’t work for them anymore.

ICA cleans up after sloppier agents; 47 canonically doesn’t leave anything for them to clean up. That’s why they love him and put up with his high charging fee and the trouble his clone status brings their way; he’s got a perfect record with them, job-wise, and spares them extra expenses.

In any event, it’s more a case of bribing officials to turn over or “lose” evidence gathered. Still not necessarily something to rely on. ICA may feel the need to cut loose sloppy agents to be caught and take the fall if evidence is gathered against them, with said agents knowing not to say who they work for lest someone better visit them in jail to silence them. We don’t have evidence of things like this happening in the series, but given the playbook of similar agencies throughout fiction, this sounds exactly like something ICA would do.

2 Likes

Generally, I follow certain conduct standards, sometimes combining them.
1.) Silent Assassin. If I fail, I restart.
2.) Aim for Silent Assassin with no restarts and do not leave any witnesses alive.
3.) Mercenaries are okay to kill, but police and civilians are not. Often, I decide my path toward the target and kill any mercenaries in my way, or kill as many mercenaries as I can just for fun.
4.) Limit inventory. No more than one or two pistols, no more than one tool (hammers, wrenches, screwdrivers, etc.), etc. No holstering/storing big items like bricks, etc. Try to keep the inventory a little more realistic relative to what 47 is wearing.
5.) Do not allow NPCs to discharge their weapons and do not miss shots.

Some approaches I’ve taken recently to keep things fresh:

1.) Start with nothing but a melee weapon (tanto knife!) and maybe poison, or nothing at all, and smuggle a suppressed firearm somewhere in the level that is not right next to my starting location. This way, I have to resort to melee kills for a while before I’m empowered for a quiet killing spree.
2.) Loadout with Silverballer + tanto knife, nothing more, and kill as many mercenaries as I can.

Rely on my combat skills while finding ways to make it more challenging, basically.

5 Likes

I guess that for the role playing type of player, the rules that govern a particular playstyle depend entirely on one’s personal interpretation of 47’s personality.

I see 47 as an inherently rational man. He has a certain flair and style but he wants to be efficient first and foremost.

For instance, it never made sense to me that he would only walk everywhere. My 47 walks when he is in a social situation that requires it or when it’s otherwise necessary. In Colombia, he would be running through the jungle though, not walking. He is not interested in looking cool just to look cool.

Also, my 47 is not strictly a Silent Assassin and he does not always go for accidental deaths (uuh, how controversial!).

The WOA canon heavily implies this, I know, but my interpretation probably subconsciously rests more on the old games. Here, 47 did use snipers, car bombs, etc. This is how it was in Codename 47 and Silent Assassin if you look at 47 in the artwork/loading screens, in the story sequences, and sometimes in the levels themselves these were the only sort of options given to you (e.g. Hong Kong missions of C47).

As long as he is a ghost. No witnesses. This will often result in SA, but it doesn’t have to. As long as no one spotted 47. This allows for simple assassin/agent fantasy gameplay e.g. of using a sniper rifle or RFID triggered bombs. I enjoy that as well, it keeps the game more grounded and closer to the seriousness of the cutscenes.

I want to keep things realistic so I go for believable disguises and not-too-over-the-top accidents.

To me, an accident only has to be believable for the duration of 47 being there. They are meant for obscuring the fact that there’s an assassin on the scene, in the moment. That’s how I believe the accidents worked in Blood Money. If two people died in accidents, it meant that everyone was not alarmed while 47 was there. But afterwards the dots are often connected. That’s why the newspaper headlines always said: ‘Silent assassin wanted by police’, even if all targets died in accidents. People did connect the dots afterwards, but it merely bought 47 time while he was there.

Anyway, I know a lot of people’s interpretation of 47 will differ a lot from mine, but I must say I firmly believe in my interpretation of him from my 22 years of playing him. Of course, all of this will always be entirely subjective, and that’s ok. jk my interpretation is correct and if your playstyle differs, you’re utterly wrong.

8 Likes

I will let the rest of that post go, begrudgingly (and with prejudice), on the grounds of differing viewpoints. However…

This one I have to address. It makes perfect sense for 47 to walk everywhere because unless his time is short or he’s chasing someone, there is no reason for him to run. Not only does this make him stand out and draw suspicion, but it uses energy that may need to be reserved for later engagement. 47 is better than a normal man but he still has limits, and running to get to his target simply to be fast makes no sense in any capacity, particularly when he will need all energy he can spare in case things go sideways on him. This would be particularly true in a jungle setting like Colombia, to use your example. That is the absolute worst place to be running without necessity, due to the heat and humidity that would take its toll on even 47. 47 would walk calmly, not rushed, to his target, keeping his cool and keeping his senses open for any sign of threats, coiled likes spring ready to take action at a moment’s notice. He doesn’t do it to look cool, but to keep himself from getting rushed and sloppy, which could result in his own death rather than his target’s.

1 Like
4 Likes

I hope that’s not meant as a rebuttal. He’s exercising there, not pursuing a target.

In fact, we now finally know when that little run through the snow takes place: sometime after Untouchable. Given Diana’s comment about “profiles,” it could even take place right before Freelancer begins.

2 Likes

Well no, not really. Just to show that he does sometimes run, even if just for recreation. I take that to mean that if I’m just “funning” a map, I can feel free to run. :wink:

I just really like that trailer.

1 Like

I don’t understand this. Schatenjager already presented their announcement trailer argument, but if for the sake of running away from something, wouldn’t this apply without the implication of context? What difference does it make if I were to infer imaginative scenarios completely different from your own?

1 Like

It doesn’t really make any difference, but as a play style, I would imagine that 47 running away from a murder, even if accidental, might be as suspicious as running toward it, no?

I don’t know what you’re saying. Literally.

What I’m saying is, there is no rational reason for 47 to run to his target unless his time was extremely short or they were running from him. It’s counterintuitive to simply taking an action, never mind trying to avoid attention.

But that doesn’t happen literally in-game. 47 isn’t in a time limit running to his targets or risk dying of heat exhaustion in Columbia, rather everything in-game is presented for your own interpretation. So when you present it as one, it means you inferred it. It’s like Socratic Daemon in a way.

1 Like

Ag no, you guys are taking the game WAY too seriously, you need to go out and have a beer…

9 Likes

You do make some good points. I can definitely see a 47 who is more slow and methodical. To keep his head - kind of like what the essence of the Contracts trailer shows:

I still think 47 would do what the situation calls for, so I don’t think he would have any personal rule against running. It would be necessary and appropriate at times.

Haha, that’s probably for the best!

I love going out for beers. You’d be surprised if you met me at a bar. And I would not use this subject as a conversation starter, I’ll tell you that. :joy:

4 Likes

How tho? OP doesn’t play like this because he thinks FBI will actually find evidences and come after him, he just complicates the game to make it more challenging and realistic, thus more satisfying for him. What can be wrong with that?

3 Likes

There was one day last week, I was in a bad mood. What do I do? Go into the ET Arcade, then kill a bunch of guards in each of the levels (started with ‘The Prince’ and ended with ‘The Black Hat’). T’was a good way to blow off some steam. Of course I got a 0 score. Do I play like this all the time? Obviously not, but I still had fun.

The point? You don’t have to play perfect all the time. Once in a while a little chaos can be therapeutic. :relieved:

4 Likes

And that is why step 1 exists. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

What about equipment you can carry based on what you are wearing? For example, you shouldn’t be able to carry 5 screwdrivers, 4 wrenches, you gun, your fiber wire, and a duck bomb in the Columbia default suit.

What about equipment you can holster based on what you are wearing? For example, you can’t holster the sawed off shotgun wearing certain suits cuz it would show. Or even a crowbar. Where is it being held to?

Also wearing the appropriate suit based on location should also be a priority cuz 47’s best skill is blending in. He’s not gonna wear the winter suit (coat) in hot Columbia or Mumbai. You’d stick out like a sore thumb.

How come these rules were not mentioned in your rules yet you state you play the most realistic 47 ever…even more realistic than 47 himself. :crazy_face:

1 Like