Need For Speed Series

Those inaccurate police lights will probably stay, just like the Bean and Sear… I mean Willis Tower will much likely stay absent. But hey, at least now you get to paint a Jaaaaaag in the game to match your real one’s color, Yacob! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Oh I didn’t think of that! Great idea!

2 Likes

Nah, you had it right the first time.

3 Likes

The Cloud Gate is an artwork and most likely copyrighted so it most likely won’t be added and I would say the Sears Tower is protected under copyright (buildings can be as well) so Willis Group or Skidmore, Owings and Merrill most likely said no to it being depicted.

2 Likes

Or you can just make it look super close with a kinda different name :joy:

2 Likes

True you could just make Sears Tower and delete one of the tubes but you and I know we would both be complaining they changed the look of the building entirely. I would say that they most likely couldn’t afford to pay for the rights to actually have the building in there at all.

2 Likes

Watch dogs had an “almost the Bean” called forever sculpture. It would have been funny if NFS used the same thing.

2 Likes

Dang, that’s unfortunate but kind of expected IMO… I knew they were first going to try and bring all those single-player features back into Online before doing anything else new… The end of the blog post for Vol2 says there’s more updates planned for the coming months, so hopefully this isn’t the only update it’ll ever get before end-of-life.

Still interested in Unbound, though also still waiting for a good half-price sale. Very interested in getting into a racing game again.

Sucks they’re now locking off cars into the EA Play subscription.

1 Like

Need for Speed Unbound Vol. 2 update is out!

Ant it’s finally here. The new mysterious “Ultimate Luxury” ride turns out to be Mercedes-Maybach S 680! It’s a bit odd addition to a game that is all about street racing, and it makes more sense if the car debuted in the upcoming TDU: Solar Crown, but nonetheless it’s here and it’s the limo’s first video game appearance. Other features include online cops and a couple more events too.

Check out the new fastest leather armchair here:

2 Likes

It does however make perfect sense when you think about Unbound’s Hip-Hop scene influence given how often rappers used to use Mercs/Maybach cars as status symbols.

1 Like

For several reasons, I always think of Mercedes as just an over engineered waste of a vehicle. I know that opinion is “wrong”, but I can’t get past it. I wouldn’t ever want to drive or own one.

2 Likes

Yeah I guess. There’s literally an in-game song named “In my Benz”, and Mercedes is indeed given plenty of highlights, like being the cover car. Hey well, the first F&F movie was two decades ago. No one blasts modern Hip-Hop in his Civic or 240SX anymore.

You know, since you mentioned Hip-Hop, it always reminds me of Rockstar’s Midnight Club 3. This opening song does match the game with many of the 2000’s hot cars: like Chrysler 300C or Cadillac Escalade. I guess all kinds of culture, whether it’s street racing or Hip-Hop, just change from time to time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp9ch-dAKk0

1 Like

I wouldn’t either, there are better cars even in German. But if we are talking about over-engineered I want to say I think that game’s new custom Fairlady Z is ugly as sin. I know it is all references to Japanese car culture (grachan splitter, shartokan side exhausts, ect.) but you just shouldn’t do it to a classic car like that.

2 Likes

Only played about an hour or so of Unbound today, but it’s fun.

I’m already liking the soundtrack a lot more. It’s got a much larger diversity of language and style, whereas I found Heat to be full of Latino Rap/Hip-Hop and R&B… I just found it kind of bland and repetitive.
So far I’ve heard French Rap, Japanese Electronica, German, or Danish Techno?? Idk but the tracks are bumpin’ and I’m enjoying it. Also, the open-world has a great feature where it doesn’t make music play all the time. Kinda comes in and out on its own for Races.

The artistic flair is kinda neat. Very Spider-Versy. However I am not really paying attention to my own car’s graffiti outlines and effects during a race, since I tunnel-vision-HARD into finding my racing line LOL. Whoops. Races are also pretty hard! I got 3rd once, but the other 3 races I played I got like 5th/6th out of 8… oof.
I picked the Nissan '98 as my starter car (woop woop 1998 represent!!). It’s pretty drifty, and I hope I can change it to be a bit less so, but I’m sure that’ll open up once I’m done the prologue…

Oh yeah and I get ti make myself look like street-racing white boy trash hehehe. The head presets are decent, this one looks similar enough to me.

5 Likes

Nice! Sounds like you’re having fun with the game. I picked the Nissan as my starter in my 1st playthrough as well, just couldn’t resist to Japanese tuner cars.

Though you can do a slight tune during the prologue stage to make it less drifty. Just open up the options menu and push the slider to the left to have more grips. You will be able to build a fully-tuned grip machine with unlocked parts later in the game. And for the driving aspect, this really is a highlight of the game! players are allowed to find which driving style suits them best.

Ah where’s the chicken suit when you need it? :joy:

2 Likes

Ehh not really? It was locked in place for me, and I couldn’t swap out parts to increase how much the slider could move… Maybe it was changed in an update? idk

I now have a Ford Mustang 1969. I can make it a little more/less drifty which is nice.
I’m really liking the tense racing. I’m not getting 1st place, but I did get close once! At least beating 1 or 2 NPCs at a time is still fun.

The way the Boost Nitrous works is cool. Love using it to rocket out of drifts.

there is none :sob: :sob:

But there is a neat chicken decal you can put on cars, so you BET I’m gonna be sneaking that onto every vehicle I own lol

2 Likes

This is why FH is better (jokes NFS is better but I’m a xbox peasant :frowning: )

1 Like

The cops in NFS Heat were all corrupt a-holes who had a hate-boner for turning your car into a pancake. Desperate and predatory in their radio dialogue.

The cops in Unbound think they’re comedians. Insulting your driving after you run into things, or hit them, or escape.
I just had a cop scream “My car, you dingleberries!” after I drove her into a ditch. LMAOOO WHAT

In another note, the damage models of cars in this game is practically non-existent! Ram into a wall? You don’t even get a dinged up bumper or hood. The most damage I’ve ever seen my car take is all the windows are cracked.

1 Like

Yeah, it is pretty funny about police dialogues in the game being so dramatic reacting to player’s driving. I think despite sounding unprofessional for officers, it gives a human-ish touch to them, something like “Let’s get this over with, today is my son’s birthday.” Or some funny introduction lines like “Heavy here ready to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and we’re all out of bubblegum.” These are nice, I like them.

Ha! Now you see why they boasted so hard about more customizing options like removals of bumpers and other car parts, right? So they don’t have to bother about damage models! :joy:

Seriously though, I think that there being so little visual damage and practically no mechanical one is due to gameplay design. You won’t want to outrun the police with front wheels stuck so you can’t turn. Popped tires are reinflated shortly as well, if you do manage to intentionally hit spikes that are easy to avoid otherwise. Damage models and crashing effects were used to be Criterion’s signature dish with Burnout games, now they can’t probably due to licensing from vehicle manufacturers.

1 Like

Another update coming June 20. A bit faster than how long the first Vol2 update released…

these are neat for Online

• Players can now change their default time of day in Lakeshore Online. This setting only affects Free Roam - events in playlists have their own defined time of day
  • Players can now teleport to Safehouses and Meetups when not in a cop chase. Perfect for quickly getting around map, or swapping cars before the next Linkup
  • Players will receive $5000 in bonus cash for every rank they reached prior to the release of Volume 3 with the new Speed Pass ranking system
  • Players can now view their whole character before purchasing clothing to see how it looks with their whole outfit

Also they’re adding a Battle Pass cough, sorry Speed Pass. For new cars, clothing, and car customization.
It’s free, thank god, but probably exclusive to the Online Mode. I haven’t finished the campaign yet. I had to replay W1,Day 5 twice because I kept not having 20k cash for the qualifier. I’m still in Week 2.

2 Likes