Need For Speed Series

Yeah the marketing for this game has been really bizarre, like only until a week before launch that they finally decided to show a gameplay clip that wasn’t edited to pieces. They treated all the info like top secret of something.

But anyway, in the past few days I’ve been avoided as many spoilers (proceed to install um… a huge rear spoiler on a car soon :upside_down_face:) as possible, and I hope it’s gonna be a really wonderful experience. See you on the street of Lakeshore!

2 Likes

It’s set in a fictional Chicago, so I’m in!

2 Likes

The cops have red and blue lights though. It would have been cool if they used only blue like we do here. The police cars look pretty much like ours.

1 Like

Ah nothing beats seeing a digitalized hometown, right? I’ve been playing the game and so far the game does portrait the city pretty well (despite I believe Chicago should have a lot more traffic density than the game’s presentation).

Things like you can visit the water park, ride the L train (with your car :smirk:), or even put on the actual Illinois license plate for a full authentic Chicagoan experience (although only a few cars have plate on their front bumper). As for the law enforcement side, I remember Watch Dogs did it right by having just blue light on police cars, but the liveries are not accurate to the real life CPD units. Maybe one day I can do some fact checking when I finally get my chance to visit the windy city myself. I will depend on you for the local cuisine and bar visiting, mister Yacob! :beers:

2 Likes

I havnt played it yet. I’m going to but was busy with work. I saw some clips though and it does look good.

:joy: yea I remember the watch dogs creator saying you only want so much realism bc no one wants to sit in digital bumper to bumper traffic for hours on end.

1 Like

Make sure to hit the Billy Goat Tavern if you ever do visit. Cheezborger, cheezborger, cheezborger!

3 Likes

Major games publications took quite a while to post their reviews, even on release day. (And even then, there are still plenty that haven’t finished theirs yet).
Currently lingering at an 8.5 on a few aggregator sites, which is solid!

EA’s whole handling of this has been weird. A secretive NFS project in the works for about 2 years now, I think? Rumblings of an anime-style. No news at all until a month and a half before release. And even then there’s very little marketing or full gameplay of it.
This left fans skeptical of EA’s faith in it, but… a lot of people love it! Thankfully!

I’m pretty hyped to hear and see this is a great entry, will definitely pick it up sometime next year when I’m ready to splurge on a hot new title.
Anyway at least we finally have Gameranx’s straight-up gameplay and impressions of the title. I usually agree with their impressions of games.

3 Likes

The game is indeed fantastic! I agree with the video’s opinion on game progression. You start off slow and have to consider every move and its risk. You can surely put tons of your hard earned money to upgrade your ride, but you might end up with no sufficient entry fee for high payout races. It makes me to start understanding the game’s tag lines as well: “time is money”, “raising to the top”, or the overused “They said it pays a fortune to be the boss. Time to show them who’s in charge.” (If I have a penny for each time A$AP Rocky saying this… :laughing:)

However, I don’t agree on his opinion about repetitive events. It’s still a racing game, so of course the majority of it is racing. But there’s still plenty of distractions from racing, like customizing cars, transporting clients’ vehicles or becoming a getaway driver. Talking about repetitiveness, Most Wanted 05 is probably a worse offender, and it’s often considered the best NFS! Sure you have got crazy cop chases and lit soundtracks in between, but on the other hand, tons of long races await you before you can take on the Blacklist!

You know what, as a long term series fan, maybe I am a bit biased, but I definitely would recommend to anyone who’s interested in trying out Unbound! It’s probably not for ones that just want to drive a Bugatti from the beginning, but for ones that want an authentic street racer experience with proper video game progression!

2 Likes

So, a lot of retailers round here (and I’ve heard in the US) currently have Unbound on sale. At 40% off no less!! (~50$)

It hasn’t even been 2 weeks, even since the early-access portion. This is super strange. Reviews and impressions have been great, but maybe their sales haven’t been doing very well?

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s selling well. It’s fun but it plays much like the last one. I scooped it up only bc it’s set in fictional Chicago. Best buy has it for $42.

1 Like
2 Likes

Man, that sucks. From afar, I’m really liking the new visual style they’ve added to this entry. Would love to see them experiment with it in the future, but if sales are bad, hopefully EA doesn’t take that to be a major reason for its failure.

I think it might just have debuted very quickly, with some sparse marketing just a few weeks before its release.

2 Likes

Maybe people are just tuckered out of NFS? They should wait 5 years and come back with something really fun. I do like the betting aspect of it. That I remember that in the SNES Lamborghini game from way back when. They should keep that but flush it out more. You should be able to make bets with more than one racer and even bet your car (although the game controlled racers should be smart enough to only take that bet if they have a better car than you).

2 Likes

Or maybe it’s because this is the first current-gen NFS game? Meaning that its sales depend on how many PS5 and Series S|X are out there. Sure, the game is also available on PC, but not everybody has a decent one to run Unbound either.

Content and gameplay wise, it does feel like Heat 2.0. With an almost identical car list (3 years in development, btw), the game also has a similar day and night cycle and heat system, so I can’t blame people thinking it’s not worth the full price, especially if they own Heat. But much like Hitman did with WoA, if a formula is almost perfect for a series, why bother changing it?

But on the bright side, for a game studio that has been known for brake-to-drift gameplay, they fixed up grip handling, which Ghost never managed to do that during its lifetime. So that’s at least some effort put in there. In the end, I do hope the game does well! EA demoted Criterion for so long that it’s been a decade since they made their own game. They deserve to become a primary studio again.

1 Like

I gotta assume EA has some idea of what the sales drop off would be by making a game only available for the new consoles. NFS Heat sold “as expected” according the EAs earnings call from back in 2019. No one knows exactly what that means but the Internet rumour mill says around 4 to 5 million copies to date. There are well over 20 million PS5s out all ready.

Anyway the game is good. Just sometimes bad games sell well and good ones don’t.

2 Likes

Or maybe running no ads really means you sell less at release. Guess they need to rely on a long-burn sell.

3 Likes

The speed-demon of editing is back at it again!

2 Likes

8/10 not too much of Eurobeat inserted. Nah just kidding Deoxide never disappoints! :innocent:

2 Likes

Need for Speed Unbound Vol. 2 Update

Woa… has it been really that long for a new post here? I guess that’s the same case for Criterion themselves too, because finally a content update is coming on March 21st. The headlining new stuff are police in multiplayer and 3 new editions of pre-existing cars!

To be honest, I am not really interested in these refreshments of online mode, but I am currently on my 2nd playthrough of singleplayer campaign. This time I am using a different sets of cars! It always feels nice when you have previous knowledge and use it in a fresh game, like how to efficiently evade cops or spend money on early part of the game. Ah well, back to race grinding, I guess.

3 Likes

Still the cops have red and blue lights )=

2 Likes