Please bring back Lucas Grey

My gf sent me this comic a while back which was a great idea and after i saw it i loved the idea and I think it would’ve been perfect if either he never died or the death was a fakeout and The Constant resurrected Grey with Ort-Meyer’s leftover tech and there was a final boss fight with Grey on the train Lacho Central

4 Likes

It’s been portrayed many times that 47 is not a one man army who can just shrug off bullets. As good as 47 is, he was completely surrounded, in disguise, and outing himself would be a fatal mistake. And if he did; he wouldn’t get out alive (or as we later find out, seriously injured). As you said Urben, it was simply better for Grey to get killed to keep 47’s cover intact.

Unless 47 is extremely prepared or has some kind of upper hand, he is not going to win. He’s not invincible, and there’s a reason The Institute wanted stealthy kills from their clones.

5 Likes

I too feel IOI didn’t do Grey justice by killing him off during a short cutscene. They could have at least showed him in the Dartmoor mission, like Diana in Mendoza… But no, he’s just a plot device that never adds anything substantial to the game, other than make the plot develop and be the somewhat “more human” other half of our beloved emotionless, bald killer.

47 reaction to his death is quite cold, too. I get it man, you’re a badass clone without feelings, and it would be out-of-character to do otherwise… But come on, he was basically 47’s brother who got the bullet, he could at least shred some manly tears…

Oh well, guess he’s crying inside.

3 Likes

He probably can’t what with the “no emotions” thing (or inexperience knowing ‘how to feel’)

I’d say his ‘emotional outburst’ for Grey’s death is represented very well in the following mission. All he’s got to do is meet up with Olivia, and their planned meeting spot was compromised. He could have left the club immediately and gotten SA without doing any work (lol), but instead he chooses to slaughter [at least half of] some ICA agents on-site, as a message to stop tracking him, and as revenge for Providence and the ICA crossing him.

4 Likes

My biggest problem with Grey lies within how H2 ‘The Last Resort’ set up it’s conclusion. Heavily implying that Lucas Grey wasn’t being honest.

We cut from Diana rushing into Cargo hold after the Constant escape, to an out of focus Lucas Grey receiving a text from “Olivia” saying “everything is going as planned”. At this point we know that it’s not going as planned and we have no confirmation that this is Olivia. Lucas Grey is quick to pushed 47 towards their shared “goal”. Which plays info The Constants own plans, to get rid of the partners and take control. Then we cut to H3 and continues as Lucas Grey being truthful and that the shady text and The Constants escape was just a coincidence.

I was waiting for Lucas Grey to betray 47 and Diana through out the game, just up until his death. I strongly believe that the last cutscene of ‘The Last Resort’ was foreshadowing Lucas Grey’s betrayal. Something I wished would have happened, but somewhere a long the line was changed to keep Lucas an ally.

7 Likes

Ha, that’s a good one :laughing:. Like those old platformers from the '80 - '90 (think Mario), where you could usually find the secret exit of the first level by going left at the start instead of right. “I see no target here… Guess i’ll just call it a day”.

Anyway, i know 47 is unable to cry, and he isn’t exactly the funniest guy in town, and i know he avenges Grey by bringing down the ICA once and for all… but i don’t know, his reaction irks me everytime i rewatch that Dartmoor scene. He could at least say something more meaningful than “it’s just the two of us now” or whatever he says.

Guess it’s just me tho. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I thought that too, but turned out his reaction was just about the Partners being identified “goin according to plan” while the COnstant’s escape was not important for him. I think this shows some good character development, becoming sloppy when around 47. But Dubai really needed that to point that out, there was some relief missing for sure.

2 Likes

Form a story telling point it doesn’t make much sense to put these two events just up next to each other, it heavily implies that something is wrong, it puts Grey’s hole allegiance into question and there is no pay off. It becomes a redundant plot point that leads nowhere. Normally when we communicate with Olivia it’s always been through a phone call or face to face, this time it’s a text and we don’t actually see the message.

We as the viewer know that something is wrong, we know that 47 isn’t aware that the Constant have escaped. We begin to speculate how is this going to turn out and can we actually trust Grey?

I think it shows some good character development that 47 is too trustful when it comes to Grey and that Grey is playing on 47 weakness. His friends have always been his weakness, all from Father Vittorio to Diana more than once.

I believe that Grey was meant to betray 47, however down the line IO decided to keep him an ally.

5 Likes

I really expected Grey to backstab 47 up until the point he died. Especially when he trash talked 47’s connection to Diana in the post-Dubai cutscene. Then the Dartmoor radio phonecall which I implied as an obvious trap. And then he died. Uhm, what?

4 Likes

Y’all miss the faith 47 had in his brother. So much about his social inabilities. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

https://youtu.be/3C6hyQsuTlU?t=8

2 Likes

I thank you all for your responses and the discussion :heart:

I just want to make this clear: I don’t want him to come back from the dead. I’m just disappointed with the way his story ended which was, in my opinion, too rushed and that left some plot holes, like with the ending scene of Haven.

And when I say I would love him “to come back” I don’t mean to resurrect him, but as others already said it, like in a DLC or spin off that takes a closer look at his past or the same time as the WOA trilogy, like when he killed Kamarov or Cobb. I think it would be cool and it would be kind of a “redress” for getting rid of him so early :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

No it didn’t. The ending scene in Haven was Grey reacting to the partners dying, not the fact he was lying to 47 (for one thing, Dubai’s end cutscene has 47 explicitly acknowledge the constants escape, so Grey told him while travelling).

IOI’s writers have been quite careful with this, otherwise very delicate, cobweb and strings of story connecting everything, and as far as I can see, there aren’t any glaring plot holes in WOA that ruin it.

1 Like

To build upon this, and maybe somehow please C47 fans AND grey fans (cough, cough MrOchoa, Mini) an april fools game using the same engine as C47, with a similar structure although following grey’s past and not just killing people for money.

A small and short novelty game. Like the double sunroof fiat panda, pointless, but fun.

2 Likes

29.06.2021_19.39.02_REC

guys cmon… its literally meant to make Grey’s death more unexpected. thats the whole point :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

I really have to disagree. If this is by design, it’s done poorly. I would go so far and say a good example of how not to use Chekhov’s gun. This question of loyalty, never has a payoff, it’s never resolved in a way that makes sense for the audience. I heavily believe this is a dropped story element, that leaves and empty feelings.

This Foreshadowing wouldn’t feel as empty, if it had been played differently. If they instead focused on Diana and it being her that delivered the line “Everything is going as planned” it would be consistent with later events, that said it would mean we knew much earlier that Diana was going to “betray us”.

The problem with just calling it a red herring is that, since the end of H2 we where under the assumption that Lucas Grey would betray us, even casting doubt towards 47 oldest ally. Fast forward to ‘Death in the family’ end cutscene and suddenly Grey sacrifice himself to save 47. The H2 end cutscene ends up meaningless, with no pay off. It’s poorly designed, if it’s by design.

10 Likes

I’d rather get nothing than this tbh.

6 Likes

no 20 characters 20 c

2 Likes

But Grey’s reaction in Haven came into play, as a first big mistake, introducing Greys arrogant/sloppy side when united with 47 leading to his death ultimately.

1 Like

as much as i love grey, i dont think bringing him back would be a good idea. if this was january, i would agree with you in a heartbeat. but now that ive had time to think about his death… i think it’s pretty okay in some areas. am i mad? yes. but what would be good is in future, allowing the story to develop into something else. hes a great character, anyone who knows me well knows my strong opinions on the guy but i think bringing him back would feel a bit… wrong. i want to see new things. at first i thought it was OOC but after consideration - there was no other option for him at the time. he was willing to do anything for 47 at that point - if 47 did fight in any way or expose himself, they both would have died. he killed himself because he didnt want to be captured again and/or 47 to be harmed via exposing himself in front of the guys who conered him. believe me, im a huge grey fan, and there was a point where id do anything to bring him back, but after careful consideration, i dont think it would work.

8 Likes