Podcast interview with Forest Swartout Large senior producer for Hitman 3

A GTX970 it’s not mid range hardware, it’s a 7 years old GPU, an old ass card for this game. Mendoza level is the most demanding, and it runs decently (I wouldn’t say perfectly) on a true mid-range hardware like as shown in this video.

I’m not saying that there aren’t places to be optimized or with issues, but we are far from the performance we got with HITMAN 1 even on high range specs, or HITMAN 2 during the release without DX12 where the optimization and stability was bad on almost all levels until march 2019.

I tested the game on three different video cards. 970, 1060 and 1070. On all video cards, Mendoza shows a terrible result relative to other levels. And this result is worse than it was in Hitman 2016 and Hitman 2 at ultra settings with DX 11.

And this is the most important thing.
You can say as long as you like that these cards are outdated. Maybe. But the testing department should be ashamed that the optimization of one single level is worse than in the whole trilogy as a whole.

And this result is worse than it was in Hitman 2016 and Hitman 2 at ultra settings with DX 11.

This is just simply not true. In 2016, Marrakech crowded area 30 fps with high-end PC in 1080p. Silvio garden in Sapienza same.

In 2018, 1080p with a RTX2080 and i7 9700K Ultra settings, I have dozens of areas where the framerate was below 50 fps, mostly between 40-45fps. Now imagine those areas with a GTX970 2 years ago.

Why do you keep mentioning gtx970? It is clear that this is the weakest video card I have.

We can argue for a very long time, but this does not negate the fact that Mendoza has terrible optimization. Above, I have already posted a video from the tunnel. All three video cards have strong frame rate drops in this area. At 1070 it is less noticeable, but the FPS drop is huge anyway.

Isn’t even the 970 able to render a small corridor at any graphics setting? Apparently this is the nextgen that people are constantly talking about.

I keep mentioning my RTX2080 in my post, not your GTX970. I mean, you can’t expect a framerate this bad with a 900$ GPU at the time, and yet here we were. Hitman 3 does not have these issues with decent GPU.

I remember being at 34fps in Colorado in front of the house with my RTX2080. Hitman 2 optimization was a joke during 6 months.

1 Like

Well, I hope many of my friends and I do not have to pay $ 900 for 60 FPS in Mendoza

I will be glad if optimization in Mendoza turns out to be a joke too.

Your small corridor with a mid range GPU (~300$) in 1440p.

There is Godwin’s law where any online discussion ends up with a high probability of comparisons to Nazis and Hitler, and then there is Hitmanforum’s law, where any thread on any topic of Hitman ends up with someone nerding out of graphic cards and frame rates, or complaining about the always online aspect of Hitman.

2 Likes

Man, could you be more specific?

What are the graphics settings?

I’ll stop there because I moved away from the original topic, so sorry for that, but I have so much example since 5 years about this subject that I was forced to respond on this precise point.

RTX2060 / Ultra / 1440p.

Oh
2060 for $ 300, to my great regret, in my country can not be bought. Thanks to Bitcoin miners. Probably I would not do this because of one level, when the rest of the game works flawlessly.

Anyway, thanks for the dialogue. It was interesting to discuss this topic. Fortunately, I also know what computer equipment is capable of when it comes to rendering scenes.

1 Like

this at least puts my fears to rest a little bit that we’ll still be seeing new elusive targets, i can’t see a large team working on a few escalations a month and maybe 2 bonus missions if we’re lucky. but still, so strange to start with a rerun

I lived in Amsterdam for five years, and I know the Dutch and all Scandinavians love planning, arranging and taking long holidays. I assume that after IOI finished the release of Hitman 3, those building new content probably have taken a break.

I assume that a new elusive target will appear in Dubai, probably.

1 Like

By “map reworks” I am hoping they mean additions to Whittleton Creek and Chongqing as those are the most potentially amazing yet tragically empty ones…

1 Like

As long as we get a lot of quality escalations/ET’s I’m happy. Not sure about the ET’s yet—especially since our first one was a rerun—but from what we’ve seen from the Hitman 3 escalations so far and the massive boost in quality from 2016, I’m really excited for future content.

1 Like

Hopefully the ETs will be permanent then. As I have missed a bunch of the total ETs (especially from Hitman 1), there’s a lot of content to replay on ETs alone.

1 year of extra content seems fair, especially if there’s a good bonus mission as part of this reworking of old locations. Escalations, challenge packs, etc. Another item on my wishlist are a couple of camera challenges for old maps.

I have a 2070 and I get 60fps locked everywhere on ultra settings, 1440p, except portions of Colorado and Mendoza. That said, if I just drop draw distance to high then I get 60fps on those too. The draw distance is just too much with the detail and NPC count in those two levels, and dropping to high for two levels isn’t a huge deal. High settings are still higher than consoles according to Digital Foundry.

2 Likes