Poll for Idea: dislike button

No more than the like, but its only purpose is to filter oceans of Content and drive Engagement. The sites that do this generally don’t give a fuck about any aspect of the quality, only the stats.

Usually it is for an illusion of being able to control the success or failure. The power.

3 Likes

Generally when I pay attention dislikes on YouTube it’s when there’s a large enough ratio that would make me question why large amounts of people went to click dislike. And more often than not once I finish watching that video I would understand why.

Dislikes on YouTube are inevitably going to happen. You can’t change someones preference on something based on who agrees and disagrees on that video. Likes and dislikes should really be taken in what the audience views it as, so for you it’s up to you to decide for yourself on what you agree.

That pic in particular doesn’t even come close to its longevity as compared to other videos that get assblasted with dislikes. Most dislikes are driven on controversial events and where they’re exposed to (corporate companies are especially vulnerable to this). A good prime example would be the most disliked video.

Historically this has been a growing trend that YouTube was out of touch from their site, that they don’t know what their content creators were about. And at of this moment it was when people had enough. You can see for yourself that the dislike bar was growing and growing.

Another example would be Pokimane’s apology video.

Notice how the dislike/like bar is ratio’d in half. Most people were reluctant to accept her apology because they thought it was honest and upfront. However a lot of people were also reluctant to believe that it wasn’t genuine, even some who were to dislike bomb it too. Even as far to say that Leafy and diesel patches still accepted it, they couldn’t really control that beyond their commentary videos.

And other one would be Hitman Absolution’s saints trailer.

This I believe the dislikes came from people who felt disgusted about portraying women in bad taste. But due to its marketing strategy and audience at the time, there are more likes than dislikes in this video. That being said there are still people out there who feel disgusted by it.

The point being - the only time where you need to dismiss the dislike/like bar on a video as “trolling” is when there’s absolutely nothing wrong with the video. And that’s not to say that the dislike bar should be removed from the site for that matter. The dislike/like bar are indicative to whoever it’s exposed to and what they think of it. That’s pretty common for the internet these days.

2 Likes