[Poll] Rate every Hitman III map out of 10

Currently it doesn’t exist so it’s time for a DEFINITIVE poll to rate each H3 map out of ten. We’ll let mathematics determine how HMF feels about each map!

Dubai, UAE

0 voters

Dartmoor, England

0 voters

Berlin, Germany

0 voters

Chongqing, People’s Republic of China

0 voters

Mendoza, Argentina

0 voters

Carpathian Mountains, Romania

0 voters

Ambrose Island, Andaman Sea

0 voters

8 Likes

That a map like Dartmoor is the lowest rated of the bunch (except the meme finale) says a lot of the quality of this game

9 Likes

The poll is for the map, not the level gameplay.
The last train level as a map rates very low, but better as gameplay.
As a map it gets a 1.

Well, pending an influx of new voters, looks like Mendoza wins :thinking:

Berlin is edging up.

Wonder if people’s opinions have changed since launch, and playing more non-story contracts

For me I’ll explain my ratings and reasoning for them atm. Ive reviewed Hitman levels on my blog but I usually do a five/six point scale
Dubai - Six or seven. I think I finally pinpointed my problem with the map and it’s that it has the design of a New York or Hokkaido but it has the presentation that it’s Hitman 3’s Miami/Sapienza equivalent. The smaller levels have more focus and the bigger levels have more detail, even tho there are elements that Dubai does better than levels in those two categories it doesn’t succeed them overall because New York for me is more fun to play because of how concise it is and Miami has more NPCs, longer routes, more to do. This isnt ragging on Dubai because it’s bad but because it had the potential to take itself to the next level. I think level geometry is great and that makes the map super satisfying to play over and over and over but it needed better targets, more/better NPCs or even a smaller map but making it even denser like New York does. It also has a couple of narrow hallways I dont really care for which was a problem in that second last floor of NY and it’s a bit too easy but it’s meant to be a first level. It’s honestly the best tutorial of the trilogy (not counting Paris but instead ICA) and I hope theres something new added to it to bring out its potential, the target throwing escalation was really good for example and I’d like more of that
Dartmoor - A nine, almost a ten if it realised its potential more. Alexa Carlisle is one of the best targets but shes let down by a map which feels lifeless. The NPCs in Dartmoor dont really move around like I think a house with an uncertain future should, like more maids should be rushing around dusting while the family is walking around a lot more trying to take care of their business. An example of this is in the trailer I think there’s a shot of the family at the funeral, and I think if the funeral was one of those timed events like the race ending in Miami that would’ve added a lot more to the map along with some more little touches to what NPCs do there. Once again I hope for ETs, a bonus mission and escalations to pick up that slack and if it does I might bump it up to a ten. The main mission itself while easy is fantastic, the detective mission story is a bit of a gimmick but Alexa Carlisle going from roamer to dweller and reacting to stuff like the detective coming in is great I love it. I think the mansion itself would’ve done well with an extra floor or two like a basement and for more secret passageways like Beldingford did, because why reference such a ten and then not try to top it is my reasoning. Still, fantastic main mission that I think I’ll still be finding new ways to kill in for a long time coming
Berlin - Literally a masterpiece. Ten out of ten mission. Great map design, great setting and the best AI of the trilogy which makes this level a lot like Patient Zero where instead of doing normal Hitman and being about repetition where you learn as you go this is more dynamic. The repetition is still there but that AI like the virus does change up what could happen dynamically. Even bad targets like Banner have stuff you can do with them. I only just recently found out the agents can pick up briefcases and will take them to the security boxes for an easy isolation
Chongqing - Seven. It’s well made I liked the inter-connective-ness of the facility and how easy it is to climb from one fortress to the next and I just like the block and rooftops in general. I just think this map is more of a blank slate than anything. There feels like more is going on than Dartmoor despite a lower NPC count but it still feels so desolate. That’s the intended atmosphere but there’s a lot of areas like the arcade and noodle shop which would be more interesting than the facility for a mission. At least the streets themselves I mean, like a Landslide for this map could be so fantastic if it utilised all these areas right. The targets I’ve never really clicked with but routing the main mission is fun and I do acknowledge theyre kind of better than Athena but I clicked with her more. I think it’s that same argument of smaller and more concise or bigger and more detailed is better than being somewhere in the middle. The area is gorgeous tho and I can imagine if IO made some really good ETs or a bonus mission it could be an eight. The facility itself I think is the worst element. I thought I disliked the walkways but those do have pathways into other parts of the map that make them interesting. I like how interconnected the facility is but the scanning gimmick is quite boring and I wish picking up a tier three dongle would override tier one and two doors and make them automatically open without scanning. As much as I shit on it I used to consider it one of the worst sandboxes of the trilogy and that’s not fair. It did give me one of the best experiences of the trilogy ever with the Lee Hong escalation so the map is able of delivering fantastic gameplay, it’s just more style than substance so far. The homeless escalation was good too, so play those two if you dont like EoaE
Mendoza - Another ten out of ten masterpiece. A large well designed location with targets that utilise it well, some great scripted kills and some great non-scripted ideas for challenging runs. For example I loved utilising Don’s lockdown to get him into the basement or the briefcase Tamara lure I discovered. It’s also got some great atmosphere and I think featured contracts have been the kindest to this map. Dartmoor has some of the worst, this has some of the best like for example What’s in the Box by Rudd. This feels like a modern classic, the only problem I would have is when Don gets into his villa he’s almost as good as dead. He’s way easier to kill there than outside the back or when you light the asado. Tamara is big and public but one of the best roamers for how you can engineer her death. My favorite is taking advantage of her smoking habit and throwing propane when I think she’ll light
Carpathian Mountains - Five out of ten. I honestly do like this as a reverse tutorial shoot out or corridor stealth map but it’s not got any replayability. All the three ways to beat it are cool to do but it’s only three ways is the problem compared to even a bad map which has 20, then compare it a great map which can have 50, 100, maybe more. The game is also fun in general mechanically so praising a level for being fun the first three times doesn’t mean anything because that’s the same amount of longevity as an escalation has in one of the sandboxes

7 Likes

I was expecting ALL hitman maps to be rated as in all maps in the game which also include hitman 1 and 2 games.

1 Like

Lack of proper exits in Mendoza really hurts the map, and makes it a 7 at most.

Berlin and China the two best maps

6 Likes

Interesting interesting, what do you like more about China the map or the a main mission?

For me it’s the map, full of potential and different areas; bonus mission would work well there. I’m going to assume an ET will take place in the little arcade (It better, waste of a functioning building otherwise)

1 Like

The map, as is the topic of this thread.

It’s great for contracts

6 Likes

What with the rest of maps (all triolgy)?:sunglasses:

*Berlin The best and special map in Hitman 3
*Chongqing & Romania the big disapointing
*Dartmoor little boring
*Dubai small…
*Mendoza many details good but i prefere Sapienza or Santa fortuna…

2 Likes

I don’t like Mendoza for contracts at all. It just doesn’t feel as interesting for some odd reason.

3 Likes

Dartmoor is in my top 5 favourite Hitman maps of all time!

Fantastic level.

6 Likes

I think its because theres a lot of non moving NPCs

1 Like

It’s the restricted Exits for me. Just doesn’t feel like a map for contracts that way.

7 Likes

I agree. I mean, 47 arrives in the car that is parked at the gate, so why can’t that also be an exit? Even if it’s an exit only for contracts, I’m sure people would be happy.

5 Likes

Another thing with this car: Why can’t he bring equipement with him there? Like a sniper rifle? It’s just annoying.

7 Likes

Just so it can be compared to the original maps with a number rating, I’ve added an Ambrose Island poll to the OP :sweat_smile:

I also wonder if anyone’s changed their mind about maps after constant replaying and post-launch content :thinking:

2 Likes