Prediction Sony tries to buy IOI's Hitman Trilogy as part of Sony's Spartacus monthly subscription plan

Within the Sony umbrella, they can get developmental support such as from Bungie in how to develop a multiplayer FPS. The extra support from XBOX or Sony developers could be helpful for them.

If IOI have a relationship which gives them salary support for 50 paid employees to cover a live service subscription for Hitman and they receive bonuses for Sony subscription service membership with a Hitman Trilogy live service, then IOI might want to jump onto a deal.

1 Like

Sony does not own the video game rights. They only own the movie rights.

Yes, they own Insomniac Games. But they are pig-headed about the character (see Marvel’s Avengers). I’m surprised he appeared in Ultimate Alliance 3 on the Switch.

Here’s a link to one article, there are others stating the same thing.

https://screenrant.com/spider-man-playstation-exclusive-rights-marvel-sony-insomniac/

1 Like

Plus Sony bought Bungie to build out the Destiny franchise into movies… Hitman is also a marketable franchise for movies (although the previous ones weren’t that good).

Interesting but I still feel like it is unfair to say Sony trying to moderate Spider-Man’s video game appearances isn’t the same as buying large parts of the video game development sector to make exclusive content.

They also have a new IP in the works which would be good for Spartacus.

Hitman is a marketable movie franchise despite the two films made about the games sucking on every level? Also it took a decade for Bungie’s last big name game to become a TV series.

Hopefully not, would be absolute shit.

Yes it’s a bit apples and oranges, but Spidey isn’t the only time Sony has done this (just the most prolific) with very public IPs where content is only suppose to be timed exclusive and then something happens and it isn’t (DLC for Lego games, Batman Arkham, etc.). Even look at Hitman (2016) with the Sarajevo Six.

I’ll be more surprised if the Star Wars KOTOR remake makes it to Xbox than if it doesn’t.

Granted, it’s not buying companies but it is a very bad precedent.

1 Like

The only way I’d pay for a monthly subscription service for Hitman 3 is if each month we get a new map.

I’m one of the few who back in 2016 liked the release of a new map (roughly) every month. It gives you something exciting to look forward every month.

But if it’s gonna be a bunch of escalations, ETs and stuff then I won’t be willing to do so.

IOI has mastered the art of making great maps. I’d throw my money at them any day for more.

So far the only thing I’m truly looking forward to in year 2 is Rocky.

Quick aside: Sony owns movie rights, and that’s pretty much it. Marvel is certainly favoring them in certain ways, probably to make the ordeal with keeping Spiderman in the MCU movies easier, but Sony doesn’t have exclusivity rights to the Spiderman character in games (see: Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3)

From what it looks like, Sony isn’t looking to add to their first-party developer roster. Like Bungie, if they were to approach IOI in regards to their live-service games, I’d assume it would be more of a stealth acquisition where IOI are allowed to self-publish and distribute games for any platform while under Sony’s banner.