Profile Picture/Name Change Thread 2.0

Impression, Sunrise - Claude Monet
Monet_-_Impression,_Sunrise
First Impressions: Impressionism at 150
This year marks over 150 years since Claude Monet and his outsiders and refuses (artists rejected by the academic salons of France) under the group “Painter, Sculptors, Engravers etc. Inc” held their exhibition in the atelier of the photographer Nadar in an apartment block on Capuchin Boulevard. Depicting the sun rising over the port city of Le Harve, it wasn’t the first time nor the last time Monet would depict the port of his home town. It also isn’t his best work but it is, however, important because this is the first impressionist painting and the title of this painting informed the name of the entire movement.

Monet titled the painting believing that he couldn’t really give it a descriptive title since the actual subject of the painting is heavily obscured by the naturalistic depictions of the fog, smog and diffusion of the morning light. The actual coinage of the word impressionism comes from Louis Leroy who repeatedly used the word (it had been used earlier but sparingly) in a satirical dialogue between himself and a fake academic artists. Basically a South Park sketch in which Leroy takes neither side but sits from the side lines laughing and telling them they are both stupid. Naturally Leroy is famous absolutely nothing else but naming a group he had mocked.

The first gallery was a disaster by the way, it made absolutely no money after all of the fees the artists paid for their exhibition and in fact they owed money after it was all mathed out. It got a fraction of the visitors the actual Salon de Artes got (3500 vs 400000 visitors) but it did get positive reviews for the most part. Mostly because only Leftists and Republicans were the only ones who could write on the gallery (Conservative and Monarcist papers were all but forbidden on reporting on unofficial styles and arts). They still had another seven exhibitions though so that is something and of course the actual movement developed further and further.

Oh if you live in or near Paris then the Musee d’Orsay is having an anniversary exhibition for the entire movement lasting til around July I believe and from then on it will be shown in the Nation Gallery of America in DC. It is a once in a lifetime opportunity to see a monumental retrospective of such a formative artistic movement.

7 Likes

Rythme (Rhythm) - Sonia Delaunay
a798fe20720ba29d427e8f068f6edcda
No Looking Back - Sonia Delaunay and the Birth of Non-Objective Art
The is a work by Orphist Sofia Delaunay (Born Sara Stern later unofficially adopted as Sara Terk) a sort of post-impressionist and proto-cubist fusion that acted as a premonition to non-objective art. There are actually many different paintings in this series both works by Sonia herself and those of her collaborator, fellow Orphist and lifelong husband (his life, not hers. Robert died of complications of cancer brought on by the stress of escaping occupied Europe.)

Orphism was a style both wife and husband shared in different ways, Sonia’s works typically tend to be far more inspired by Fauvism, you can see this in the paintings use of colour. Repeated instances of bold and strong colours that are newly layered in contrasting bands next to each other where as her husband was more Cubist in nature after a brief period of Divisionist works (in which detached and spaced strokes of non-contrasting colour form a work).

Either way their combined style was non-objective but the alternating, mingling and mixing colours along with the defined shapes they form gives rise both her series of works and her genres name. Oprhism, named by art critic Guillaume Apollinaire, takes its name from the Greek bard also famous for his free-flowing lyricism and strong imagery as well as the raw primal spirit of his art. You can see it in this work especially in the lower half where the semicircles all meld into each other before erupting into the bright yellow circles in the upper half of the image. The eye follows the flowing of form up or down the same way your ear might follow along to music.

Circular figures especially those of bright colours were important to both Delaunays, based on the distinct effect light takes around street lights, the Delaunays were taken with streetlights having seen the earliest efforts by the city of Paris to electrify outdoor lighting. In fact Sonia’s Electric Circles was going to be my first pick but this one caught my eye and I think it felt more indicative of her genre and her artwork.

Sonia is unique in artistic circles in that she was not only counted as distinct from her husband or that she was prominent in her male-dominated field (this work was exhibited in a major salon of modern art) but that she was also the big earner in her family. Robert was temperamental, his popularity fluctuated, he made bold and outrageous claims constantly, antagonized his fellow artists and students constantly and was all around exhausting to be with if he didn’t like you.

Sonia was the couples breadwinner, she made whatever money she didn’t earn through her art by opening her own boutique fashion shop where she sold distinct more Dadaish “Simultaneous dresses”, her art for a series of poem painting hybrids she worked on with a friend, she ran salons for other prominent artists like Francis Picabia, Andre Breton (There he is!) and fellow non-objective art couple Jean and Sophie Arp. She and her husband also made money working for the Ballet Russes, a ballet company whose owner had a love of the arts, he hired many avant-garde artist to do stage design (like Robert) and costume design (Like Sonia). I won’t say much more because the BR is on my list of topics to do in more detail.

9 Likes

Hmm, this one kinda makes me think of @Quinn’s last image, with the colorful skull.

3 Likes

@Accidental_Kills98, I don’t see an update from you here yet; is that a picture of the actual you?

4 Likes

That’s Jerma985

3 Likes

Whoever that is. I know it’s not actual AK98, it’s a joke.

1 Like

Incredible AI deepfake technology compiles every serial killer into one man. - Anonymous (Utilizing Artificial Intelligence

We Do A Little Trolling - AI, E-Clowns and the Perils of Creation In The Digital Age
First appearing three years ago during the earliest proliferation of “generative” AI art creation tools this image was created and disseminated on the internet as a thought experiment. Which is much better than what AI is usually used for which is shitposting, getting back at people who make me feel inferior artistically, replacing the last vestiges of human talent we allow to flourish unabated, NFTs, pointless debate point scoring and April Fool’s Jokes. Ah well I suppose you can always become a sculptor!

We can see that the results are astounding in that we have a combination of various serial killer features that appear especially Ted Bundy’s good looks, I mean just look at the guy! Yet the actual generated being still bears a close resemblance to the infamous “Boston Grinder”, a local serial killer who shoved an ENTIRE baseball team into a meat grinder and then fled police persecution to hide out in Vegas.

The Boston Grinder is a man of many talents with violence being his first and foremost talent. Ever since he laughed at his first car crash he had been drawn to the idea of humans dying painfully, he still laughs gleefully at the sight of humans dying painfully. The Boston Killer’s known ramblings also convey what is, quite frankly (So long as I can still be Garth), perhaps the most bizarre ramblings committed to human record such as the idea that aliens can travel interstellar distances but are mortified at the idea of shitting and horrified by ice cream. Ancient alien theorists say this is possible but all the ancient aliens I know say it isn’t, I was at the last Cold Rock Icecreamery in Australia and they had no issue with FroYo so I assume ice cream is still on the table.

Yes and nobody here can prove otherwise. I am indeed the world’s smallest most compact streamer.

Ignore @Watson, he is a liar.

April Fools!

6 Likes

Nothing has changed besides giving him a new hat
IMG_1412

4 Likes

At Five in the Afternoon - Robert Motherwell
Untitled
Lamentation and Elegy - The Poetry of Robert Motherwell’s Elegies of the Spanish Republic

"At five in the afternoon
At the stroke of five
The boy brought the white sheet
at five o’clock
A basket of lime all ready
at five o’clock
The rest was death and only death
at five o’clock" - Federico Garcia Lorca

Robert Motherwell was twenty one when the Spanish Civil War broke out, he was in university having just gotten his father, a higher up at Wells Fargo, to agree on him pursuing an artistic education (so long as he went to get a “real degree”). It had a profound influence on his body of work almost as much influence as the Literature degree he was working on at the time would have. This painting is the first in a series of hundreds of similar paintings done over several decades, each one is roughly the same as this first one, undulating series of rectangles and ovals on fields of white (though some have coloured fields)

The painting itself as well as the subsequent series that followed was an attempt at applying the ideas of Stéphane Mallarmé, a French Symbolist poet who famously proposed the idea of poetry representing not what is or defining a concept but rather for poetry to be an earnest attempt at conveying the feeling of something emotively and broadly.

In this instance the painting takes its name and themes from Lamentation of Ignacio Sanchez Mejias by Frederico Garcia Lorca. Lorca was a big poet in his native Spain and he was one of its most famous victims, assassinated by one of the many far-right groups active at the time. Motherwell’s first Spanish Elegy is an attempt to capture something in Lorca’s poem, his very Spanish view on death. Something Lorca conveys in his poem with great passion and persuasiveness yet it is very pensive and austere towards the end you can even see a penitent mood in Lorca’s words.

Beyond all of that the Elegies are symbols of the cycle of death and rebirth but there is no fixed definition on which shape represents which, the only definitive meaning in this painting and following series is that white equates to life and death is conveyed in black. And even that can be contested as many have compared the ovals to something alive (the testicles of a bull, which makes it both a symbol of life and death in the context of Lorca’s poem) and death (a simple hole in the ground like the one Lorca is believed to have been carelessly thrown into).

In its simplicity “At Five in the Afternoon” manages to be complex, in the broadness of its scope it manages to somehow also be personal, rooted in history and steeped in literary tradition, and in its austerity it manages to be something truly remarkable.

5 Likes

The story behind it is pretty cool and in depth, but personally I’m not a fan of the picture itself to be honest. No offence.

4 Likes

I mean I am never offended, it is simply a difference of opinion after all.

3 Likes

They released a new furret costume for Pokemon cafe remix today so after giving him a drink a little helmet Im probably not going to change this until they release something new for him or next April fools I was going to use this one with a plain purple background but he looks more content in a little forest so I’ll post both

9 Likes

Omg :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

The first one looks like its taken from one of the “Mana” Games :heart:

4 Likes