[Rumor] New IOI Game for Xbox

behind the back AKA over the shoulder camera (AKA the trilogy’s camera angle…)

3 Likes

So, third person then?

2 Likes

yeah but i suppose its like the difference between older Hitman games’ camera angle vs. the new trilogy’s

1 Like

Makes sense, sorry, just couldn’t comprehend the phrase “behind-the-back” there, oops.

Same here. At first I thought it meant “going behind peoples’ backs” and a stealth Diablo :sweat_smile:.

1 Like

I think I’m even further down the track on that: despite hearing good things about them from friends whose opinions I value, I’ve just got no interest in even starting/trying things like The Witcher 3, Dark Souls 1-3/Bloodborne, Game Of Thrones etc. It’s just not a setting that floats my boat, regardless of how interesting the underlying game/stories might be.

The closest I think I get to the genre (which isn’t very close at all) is me looking forward to the upcoming Tactical Breach Wizards by Tom Francis (of Gunpoint fame): it’s an XCOM-style game where you play as a bunch of modern police and special forces operatives kitted out with kevlar vests and night vision goggles etc who take out baddies in small-scale tactical encounters… but your team are wizards. :laughing: Even as someone who’s really not into fantasy stuff, I’m not above laughing at characters with names like Navy Seer, Witch Cop, Riot Priest and Traffic Warlock:

I’m sure that IOI would bring their own unique twists to a new game IP in a fantasy setting, but unless there’s an obvious joke/parody element to the fantasy setting (to the point where it’s no longer really fantasy genre fare at heart) then it’s still a hurdle that I would be very unlikely to clear. If these rumours do prove to have some truth to them then I’d probably just be wishing IOI and their players well for the new title, but personally sitting that one out and waiting for the next Hitman/Bond/other non-fantasy release.

3 Likes

Time to see if this rumour holds any weight.
Xbox will hold a game showcase at 6pm UTC / 8pm CEST (Sunday).

The rumour of Microsoft acquring IO has also resurfaced in the last couple of weeks. This rumour started late 2018. I don’t see it happening.
I’m more leaning towards that the unannounced IP is a Microsoft exclusive, or at least published by Micrsoft. I don’t think that’s far fetched.

It’ll be shown here
https://youtu.be/1qK302stSP0

6 Likes

if the game does turn out to be Xbox/PC exclusive, i will be sad for the Playstation fans. but at the same time, it sounds like another boring medieval RPG dragon game.

i hope im wrong on both of these things lol

4 Likes

I’d be surprised if that happens.

Everything that has been said at least since H3 launched has been all very pro being independent and having the freedom to do exactly what they want, when they want and not having to please a parent company anymore. Though they have said they’re open to making deals with other companies to publish games. After H3 selling well beyond expectations, IO won’t even be in a situation where they have to make a decision that they necessarily don’t want to just to survive.

MS may have been sniffing around the again, or someone has just twisted the story of them just signing a publishing deal for the new IP. Guess we’ll find out soon enough.

https://twitter.com/JeffGrubb/status/1403829375003361282

OK. Let’s do this one more time.
Do not expect these at Xbox tomorrow:
Avowed
Perfect Dark
Fable
Hellblade 2 (maybe a making-of video later)
IOI’s Project Dragon

Yikes :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

If you want to see if a company is getting ready to be bought, just look Open Corporates website for an update in latest events for this company, if you see the mention “Addition of officer Corporation Service Company, agent”, a movement is coming up. This is not an universal rule maybe (and I’m not a legal expert), but this was the case for Obsidian, Undead Labs, inXile, DoubleFine, Insomniac Games, Zenimax…etc some weeks before.

https://opencorporates.com/companies/dk/24216209/events

IOI is still owned by Greater Bag of Holding (Abrak/Elverdam) at 66-89% (plus other IOI leads) and Square Enix (15-20%), and no changes whatsoever since 2017.

6 Likes

Ah so that is where he keeps his helicopters.

7 Likes

Good, then I don’t have to pay close attention to the stream :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: I’ll still have it in the background

3 Likes

https://www.reddit.com/comments/o8l907

Project Dragon is going to be a game that gets content and updates for at least 10 years

4 Likes

Commenters here imply it’ll barely last half a decade. While I don’t mean to shout semantics or anything, marketing something like this tends to be lofty depending on what and who you’re marketing to. Hitman 3 is already proving to suspend its roadmap scheme in favour of the “season of sin” theme. Padding your marketing like that seems to help, so I’m interested to see the end result in 10 years.

https://gamingbolt.com/marvels-avengers-will-be-supported-for-years-to-come-crystal-dynamics-reiterates

ok.

9 Likes

I mean aren’t they still making stuff for the Avengers game? I know the chance of the game magically becoming good, even over time, is slim but stranger things have happened. No Man’s Sky for example, a complete turn around.

Anthem’s biggest problems had nothing to do with their service model it was because they pissed away most of their viable dev time shilly-shallying with no real plan which led to a fucking travesty that couldn’t support itself at launch much less over a decade.

NMS is a randomly generated universe sandbox game with resource gathering and crafting and that’s pretty much it. All they had to do was fix the bugs, the core gameplay is still there unchanged. A better example for a turnaround are ESO and F76. Even Cyberpunk 2077 needs more than just bugfixing to be as good as the devs hyped it to be.

Same thing is happening now with Avengers, it may not be dead but with all the changes the devs make in order to get people to shill more money, death is approaching and having a LSG with this number of players, it’s laughable

So what makes anyone think that if IO makes a live service RPG, they will also not make the same mistakes like all the rest of these LSG devs do?

2 Likes

Just make an MMO if you want that kind of return

J. Jonah Jameson laughing video always got me.

Well, we’ll see. I am waiting more project 007 than project Dragon, IO having zero to little experience in multiplayer. And they’ve been looking for a lead multiplayer programmer for 4 years, and still today, an open position. Maybe they want a big name, idk.

5 Likes

10 years support for a new IP being a MP which they never did before? Oh boy IO, you surely reach for the stars.

6 Likes