Elusive Target #12: THE FOOD CRITIC (Year 3: 20 - 30 October 2023)

I need revenge on this dude, he and The Bad Boy are the only two first-time-playthrough ETs (which, for me, means a #TeamNoRestarts run) that I have ever Failed, and I managed to settle up the score with The Bad Boy in H2.

The Food Critic, you are going DOWN, my friend!

8 Likes

I intend to blow him up. This is one of the ones that I never managed to play for real as I missed it when it was live before (due to not owning the game).

5 Likes

Eh, I’d say Fixer is worse. He has like 5 lines of dialogue, and tails Claus for almost whole level. And no, the “finger guns” aren’t a personality.

It’s actually pretty difficult. I really want to end him this way, but unfortunately, he has very random circle, and you need to KO whole kitchen to do it SA.

3 Likes

I feel like doing some cheesy ai manipulation run for this tbh, probably something like burning, electrocution, or even fumigation. Maybe even all at once.

1 Like

May I propose cake-smother but with Jordan Cross birthday cake ?

2 Likes

The twelfth ET is closing in. With 16 hours to go, it’s that time again where I ask what fate Wen T’sai is destined to have?
I don’t remember what I did in this ET in HITMAN 1, most likely failed it. So this will be a newish one for me.

And as always, we’re ending it with amazing artwork:
From @Khakiasp

13 Likes

I really wanna smoother him with cake he melts over in kitchen. It would be such poetic, like here - have your cake, since you love it so much.

5 Likes

I’m going to burn him to death

6 Likes

Wait, I completely forgot he had a route?!

mmm season of cake time~

1 Like

Brendan Conner, aka The Identity Thief.

1 Like

Back on topic, I think with our new devices that this is gonna be easy. I already practiced a method. Of course, I cannot test it til tomorrow so it could fail miserably.

1 Like

Isn’t this the chap who never eats the food he is served, but who goes and tastes something in the kitchen very occasionally? I seem to recall he is rather a tricky target, overall.

2 Likes

Yup. I recall that in the original briefing that was found by datamining prior to the initial activation included a line from Diana stating that he doesn’t actually eat the food he critiques - but IO removed it for some reason.

2 Likes

I presume it was to let the players discover the twist and gimmick of the target by themsekves after they try the obvious solution of food poisoning the food critic.

You know, in a “Aint’t this target a rascal ? Now you too really want him dead.” kind of way.

“Show/play, don’t tell” makes ir more memorable.

It also doesn’t spoil the pleasure of gaining information by observing and listening to the target, which is central to the gameplay of the game.

1 Like

Well, of course not, he does not eat. He tastes, so I’d say it is perfectly reasonable for him to have a bit of icing on that cake. Also, he doesn’t really seem to criticize that cake, he unreasonably praises it.

2 Likes

Found the original leaked briefing.

Good evening, 47.

Your target is Wen Ts’ai, the highly influential Southeast Asian food critic. His brutal attention to detail and relentless criticism of the smallest errors are notorious in restaurants across the Pacific Rim. He thinks nothing of basing a career-destroying review over an overchilled bottle of Kona Nigari.

We expect him at Restaurant Miam in Bangkok where his refusal to actually swallow any of the food he tastes may prove a challenge.

The clock is ticking, 47. Good luck.

And then what we actually got:

Good evening, 47.

Your target is Wen Ts’ai, the highly influential Southeast-Asian food critic. He is notorious for his sadistic attention to detail and relentless criticism of the smallest errors.

The client is the partner of a Singaporean chef driven to suicide by the target’s cruel response to a bottle of over-chilled ice-water.

We have learned that the target will be at the Himmapan Hotel in Bangkok, where he plans to review that hotel’s award winning cuisine. Complicating matters, the target has recently retained a private security team in response to his increasing notoriety.

The clock is ticking, 47. Good luck.

I guess the original he spits and doesn’t swallow (heh) was to rule out poisoning any food since if he doesn’t swallow it would mean any emetic/lethal poison being added to the food would have been moot.

4 Likes

I guess game works differently, as like if someone did taste the food, he would’ve been poisoned either way. I doubt developers would change the fundamental code for one single Elusive Target.
I mean if he would actually touch some food, he would’ve been poisoned whatsoever.

And I like the actual briefing better. It’s more in HITMAN style and describes the reason why he is a target and must be eliminated. To be honest in some of the briefings I miss that reason, why exactly we should kill this or that person

3 Likes

The twelfth one of my ‘SASO No KO No Emetics Fiber Wire’ on Elusive Targets series.

It’s going well so far

16 Likes

HITMAN 3 | The Food Critic | The Cake Is A Lie

13 Likes

Remember finding this ET tedious the first time, plus this is probably my least favorite “real” map out of the entire TWOA. Just a small thing like getting rid of the security tapes is such a fucking chore in this map, it annoys the shit out of me (I can’t believe they removed it from the hut, such a bad decision).

So I just fart-briefcased him to be done with it.

8 Likes