The Fromsoft Games Thread

I Did actually, he gave me two easy deflect combos where he fell to the ground after and on the second time he fell to the ground i thought the game is trying to tell me something. Luckily i had my spear equipped ( he falls gaping head wound first and what do you stick in big holes? Long poles) and tried the double right trigger attack. Dealing massive posture damage making it basically a free fight.

His design and animation work are bloody fantastic, probably the most well animated beast boss in phase 1. Which is why he’s so goddamn difficult in that first phase. Because he moves like a monkey and not a man. His fake-out is also great, I sadly got spoiled on that around when the game released back 2019 but it was still amazing to see it myself. I’ll re-explore previous areas for a rematch with this freaky foe.

yea when i saw his health appear i was dreading another juzou/genichiro early game repeat where i just got hard stuck. but it didnt happen!

3 Likes

As promised, I’ve been trying to do the Corrupted Monk with a bunch of restrictions, and I managed to get a pretty good fight. Not quite no-hit, but generally very good deflection and only 1 posture break with 4 hits taken in total. The fight is excruciatingly long without snap seeds, sugars, firecrackers or High Monk/Senpou Leaping kicks, and it definitely made me realise that I took those things for granted. The extra damage early on is way more impactful than you could imagine because of posture regen :rofl:

Here it is: Sekiro - Corrupted Monk (Reflection) #1 - YouTube. This (for those who don’t know) isn’t the normal boss, but the Reflection of Strength rematch boss, which has more health, posture and damage. Your attack power is set to a certain value, but it is not affected by the fact that I’m on NG+2 on this save file. I had Kuro’s Charm and did not have the Demon Bell, so it wasn’t the absolute hardest it could be, but it was still pretty tricky. After I get an actual no-hit run and upload that, I’ll start work on an optimised fight (still glitchless though, since you can actually instakill the Monk but that’s no fun).

3 Likes

I did quite a lot in sekiro today, 2 mini bosses and 2 major bosses. I also bought the phantom kunai from Anayama and got the lilac umbrella among some other new upgrades for my prosthethic arm

Lets start with the minibosses, the lone shadow swordsmen. I fucking hate this enemy, it makes me wanna minimize the amount of air i breathe, i did get better at them but theyre fucking awful and i dislike fighting them immensly if i dont kill them quick. But i got through them, though im not done with them yet as youll later read.

Now for the major bosses I had a rematch with the headless ape. Decent fight, a bit too easy as they gave the ape 0 posture to make up for the fact he summons his mate in the second phase. A mate that can be easily taken out once you spam firecrackers and attack it while the other ape is of doing his terror scream. Not a good gank fight but I enjoy fighting the ape. It got me the final ninjitsu, Bestowal, which is great. I also killed the asshole for good this time.

Now for the real kicker of todays playthrough, Great Shinobi Owl. What a fight, took me about 7 tries but man when you dance with owl you dance with owl. I love that he uses all the tricks we can use, mikiri counter, shurikens, poison and even some tricks of his own like anti-heal bombs and smoke bombs. I do think the anti heal bombs and the poison in phase 2 threw off the rhythm of the fight but it was a fantastic fight none the less.

It was also really cool killing him, as with most main bossfights im usually on the last of my resources when i kill them so it was extremely fucking tense. But i pulled through with some proper good deflecting and killed the great shinobi.

After some investigating i found out that emma found another way to sever immortality from kuro but it would mean that i would die. After poking and prodding some more i found out that she has a different buddha bell that links back to the memory of the hirata estate. And holy shit no wonder she didnt wanna give it to me because Hirata Estate 2.0 is literal hell for me. Lone shadow swordsmen absolutely everywhere and a bunch more tough enemies. It is cool to see the full story of the hirata estate now. That owl basically set it up with the ministry to both weaken ashina and take kuro for himself. Granted he failed in getting kuro for himself but he still weakened ashina and managed to make his son become the loyal close guardian of the lord. So thats a plan half complete. I wonder who I’ll find after Juzou 2.0. Could be nothing, could be lady butterfly 2.0 or it could be owl if this is the full memory. Ill have to see.

4 Likes

Great progress! I despise the Headless Ape fight, it just seemed so unnecessary and cheap. Great Shinobi Owl is alright, but I don’t like the rhythm of his fight much. He’s more focused around exploiting his slower moves than applying constant pressure (the latter of which I enjoy far more). There are far better bosses, some of which you’ve yet to fight. The Lone Shadows aren’t that bad generally in my opinion, and they’re wayyy easier if you only hit them once: hit, deflect, hit, deflect and so on. They only have 3 attacks that they can do in this cycle, all of which are easy to respond to.

The second Hirata Estate is pretty funky, you’re in for a big surprise at the end! Not gonna say what the boss is, only that some people regard it to be the hardest boss in the base game (i.e. not including Inner bosses). I just killed it on my new save file, it’s quite the ride.

3 Likes

I kinda liked that honestly, he fights so differently than other sword wielders. its kinda impressive and throws you off balance and just like last time you were on top ashina castle its a learning tool as much as a boss

As for the lone shadows ill try to employ your strategy

3 Likes

Good job, so now you have opened a new area with beautiful view, I absolutely liked the new area. I literally made Sekiro rest and enjoy the view. You should practice some soccer now :joy:
If possible, post some screenshots of the beautiful view here, one you reach there.
Also would love to see some of your art of Sekiro bosses in your youtube.

3 Likes

I’m waiting on entering the divine realm after ive defeated:
The headless in the hidden forest
The headless in the waters of ashina castle
The shichimen warrior in the guardians ape burrow
The loneshadow in hirata 2.0
Juzou 2.0
And whatever comes after juzou 2.0

Maybe once i get to the gauntlets, but expect some fanart to be posted here and in the artwork thread. Sekiro has some banger designs

3 Likes

I can’t wait to hear what you think of those, they’re my favourite thing in the game. Everything I love (other than area design), condensed into one menu. They’re where I’ve spent at least 80% of my playtime, trying to find stylish prosthetic combos and efficient ways to take down bosses. Also, the skins are lovely. I might post some clips of me screwing around with them equipped. Can’t wait for any art too!

P.S. One day I hope you’ll join the Mortal Journey gang! It’s only 17 bosses in a row :wink:

3 Likes

to back myself up on this claim, heres my sekiro to do list from my private server

3 Likes

I’m excited to see the terror boss art, I love their design and mostly lilac attack colour palette.

Pretty solid to-do list though. I spent fucking years hunting for seeds and beads towards the end of the game. Some of them are tucked away, I’m honestly surprised I found all of them. Also, I wouldn’t worry about confetti too much, you’ll be able to buy it soon for ~300 sen apiece if I remember correctly. I never really had a to-do list, because I threw myself at the game so hard that I just did everything as soon as I saw it; it’s a pretty good idea to come back to things though, it means that you’re never too underpowered for a fight.

On a salty note, I despise the Shittymen Warriors. Having to use resources to stand a chance is annoying. There’s one in particular later on that is a massive pain. It’s bad enough in NG, but fighting it in NG+2 while rusty AF yesterday reminded me why I rarely bother (there are also lightning dogs nearby that I forgot to kill before the fight :pensive: ). I would, however, highly recommend taking out all of the terror bosses in your first playthrough (at least the ones you find: some are out of the way, although it seems that you have bumped into them already). All of them give great items, and it’s best to take them out now while you’re pretty powerful in comparison to them.

3 Likes

I have one for nearly every fromsoft/slightly open game cause i get distracted easily and forget what i want to do.

I love them, the divine confetti requirement is a bit eh (though it can be circumvented with the lilac umbrella, like with headless) but the fight is my favorite miniboss in the game

3 Likes

The fact that you have 3 options to fight them effectively with (confetti, umbrella projected force and lazulite flame vent living force) is just horrible. If that was removed, it’d be a really fun fight for me.

3 Likes

I still love em regardless. I kinda enjoy the gimmick, makes them stand out more, though sometimes in a less fun way like you mention with the limited capabilities

3 Likes

Worst Mini Boss

I did a lot today sheesh, I beat Juzou the Drunkard 2.0, I didn’t beat the loneshadow vilehand that summons dogs like he’s an adoption center. But I’ll get him. I also tried the the headless in the forest with an umbrella and nearly got him, but ill go back to him once i’ve purchased some divine confetti, and maybe when I have malcontent as that’s strong against apparitions apparently. And you know what I found after the disgusting drunkard and his gank. Father, Father Owl. And holy shit, what a fight that is. Despite not having beaten it I can confidently call it one of my favorites. I did 7 attempts on him, 2 made it to phase 2. Due to his monstrous posture and hp. But i love all his moves, making it more a dance than a disco shuffle relying on shinobi tools.The music is extraordinary, the visuals are beyond top notch and the new attacks make this feel like a completely new boss rather than a reskin. I also love the dialogue and how this cements owl as the villain of sekiro. And man what a villain he is, I don’t care how much he’ll kill me but I’ll make sure wolf surpasses The Owl and his Father.

In search for more attack power I went and continued the main story rather than beating the headless or the vilehand that could possibly give me more prayer beads. And man was it cool to get carried by worlds biggest strawman and arrive at the divine realm in Sengoku era’s sickest ride. What awaited me was something unexpected yet expected.

The true corrupted monk! A three phase fight i had less difficulty with than the fake corrupted monk, it was probably my experience with the original fight and significantly increased attack power for me and decreased posture for the monk that made it so much easier. Add to that the decidedly cool deathblow for phase 2 and this fight is basically a faster, more interesting and more fun fight of the Corrupted Monk. And I look forward to re-fighting her in gauntlets or just in reflections.

And man am I looking forward to completing Fountainhead palace, it looks gorgeous. the enemies are fun and the area is huge. So check back in next time for the destruction of my sanity and the destruction of owl, father

3 Likes

:smiley: Good work! Owl Father is, in my opinion, the hardest boss. I was in a bit of a predicament fighting him: I beat Great Shinobi Owl on my first try, so I hadn’t really learned the moveset too well. Out of all the endgame bosses, I think he took me the longest. He’s pretty cool though, and I love the fight. He’s just a better version of Great Shinob Owl, with more flips and tricks. I’m happy he exists, because Great Shinobi Owl is a little bland IMO. If you like what you’re fighting now, you’ll love Inner Father. I would consider him the hardest boss in the game if you include variants, but some people would regard the Inner variant of the final boss to be harder. In general, what they’ve done with Owl is cool: Great Shinobi is a very different fight to most other bosses, subverting your expectations. Father does the same again, adding tricks and changing/bulding upon the moveset of Great Shinobi. And then Inner Father does the same again. :smile:

The True Monk is an odd fight; I find it to be a more fun version of the Corrupted Monk. She has less annoying posture recovery, but Snap Seeds don’t work (which is fine). Her phase 3 is cool, I love the visuals and design as well as the moveset. My only issue with it is that it doesn’t subvert the previous fight much: phase 1 is the same, phase 2 is mostly the same with some shadowy stuff, phase 3 is the same but with a terror attack. That’s it.

Fountainhead is a beautiful area, with some very interesting enemies. I’d advise to steer clear of water, hold your Sabimaru close and make sure you stay youthful! :wink:

Juzuo is pretty much same shit, different day. Lone Shadow Masanaga (I think he’s the wolf summoner man) is pretty much the Lone Shadow Longswordsman but with his whistle. Again, just stay aggressive and try the hit once, deflect once strategy. He’ll respond with a sword swing on your right, a kick on your left or a kick on your right followed by his sweep attack. Stay in his face and keep hitting him so that he can’t whistle. Equipping shuriken is a good idea, so you can interrupt him from a bit further away if you’ve backed off to heal, and then get right back in there with Chasing Slice. I’ll try to find a random Lone Shadow that I can do a demo of the strat on. If you happen to have Shadowrush or Shadowfall (unlikely but worth mentioning) they make great engagement tools when fighting Lone Shadows. If you have the Umbrella with Projected Force (more likely), use it to deflect his kick on your right: you can follow up with the Project Force attack and it will interrupt his sweep for big damage and allow you to keep him stuck in the loop.

Happy hunting!

Edit: Forgot to say, that art is bloody fantastic!

3 Likes

has anyone here tried sifu?

2 Likes

Alas, I have not. I’ve only heard good things about it though, seems worth a try.

3 Likes

ah, i highly recommend it. it’s a 3d brawler but it shares a bit of dna with sekiro: tough as nails, stagger meters, etc. once it clicks, it’s amazing. the final boss is so good too.

just got the platinum this morning, which is a rare occurrence in and of itself.

3 Likes

The combat looks fluid and challenging from what I’ve seen, and the concepts the game’s based around are really interesting. I’ll buy it when I both have enough money and am not playing the hell out of something else (probably not for a while, unfortunately). Good job on the platinum!

3 Likes

cheers!

here’s a funky snippet i caught a while back:

3 Likes