The Pokémon Thread

I think DS games on Switch are still far away. Nintendo has some work to do regarding backward compatibility and emulation.

For HGSS, if they release RGBY and FRLG when LGPE exists, there is a possibility.

1 Like

Not entirely, Nintendo has already dabbled in DS Emulation with the Virtual Console release on the Wii U. The control layouts weren’t great, but they were playable with no lag or bugs of any sort. It’s just a matter of practicality cause of the dual screen layout which is more of a nuisance on systems not designed for it.

DS Games will benefit more from a remake than they will from rereleases. I think people forget that the DS Games had more emphasis on Online Capabilities that were tied to the old Nintendo Online Services. Black/White and its sequels quite literally had a location tied to the Online Functionality that’s inaccessible today which was Entralink.

Not to mention HGSS and BW/B2W2 used special DS Carts which were necessary to communicate with specific applications and Devices which still can’t be mimicked til this day. It’s the large reason people don’t instantly jump on Reproduction Carts of these games. The biggest example is B2/W2 where you need a authentic cart just to communicate with Poke Transporter which is necessary to get Gen 4-5 onto Gen 6-7 and then onto Pokémon Bank which by extension to also get to Home.

1 Like

They made GB/GBA emulation for 3DS, but it took them years to bring it to Switch. I don’t just mean on a technical level; I believe it’s already proven possible. But there are other additional factors.

They can say features are missing due to “unfortunate reasons”. It happens for old games sometimes. And they are very functional games even without them.

But I agree that DS games would benefit from a remake. I just don’t think it’s a reason not to re-release them. It’s Nintendo and The Pokémon Company, though, so who knows?

1 Like

Someone is making Gen 4 in Gen 5 as a Rom Hack.

4 Likes

Finally, sinnoh but good

3 Likes

https://youtu.be/bAav4UAT7zk

4 Likes

i cannae believe they gave a kid the gs. ball

1 Like

Do you mean Roy’s ball? That is not the GS Ball.

2 Likes

A man can dream

1 Like

This is either gonna go one of two ways. Everything is fine and the Pokémon Anime continues on without Ash and his Pikachu. Or riots in the street cause everyone hates these characters and captain Pikachu.

3 Likes

After the last present, I decided to return to SV and do some things I had been holding for a while.

It was mainly shiny hunting, and I caught:

• 27 Shiny Flutter Mane, with one of them having 0 attack IV
  • Shiny Screaming Tail
  • Shiny Brute Bonnet
  • Shiny Slither Wing
  • Shiny Roaring Moon, this took me three days

Also, I finally reached the Master Ball tier in ranked singles. I dabbled in the ranked battles since Season 2 but only played a few matches for past seasons.

I have more things to try, such as ranked doubles, but I am taking a break now because I don’t want to risk encountering the save corruption bug that is happening now. Although I have not done any known action that could trigger it, some precautions wouldn’t hurt.

2 Likes

This brings a tear to my eyes! It’s a wonderful send off to Ash and the long-running anime series. Besides that, Miss Matsumoto still sings really well! :star_struck:

1 Like

In anticipation of the eShop closing, I bit the bullet and bought a 7-ish dollar subscription to Pokemon Bank, just so I can get access to download Poke Transporter – the only way to get Pokes off the DS and into modern titles.

I’ve loaded up Pokemon White 2 to see what fond, old pokemon from Pearl/Diamond/Platinum I could transfer over into it…
And I realised I made a foolish decision about a year or so ago…
I wiped my save, that contained my precious pokemon I painstakingly transferred over the years, so I could start a new save file – and even then, I didn’t make it very far! Only got 20 pokemon in the pokedex.

Jesus, this is depressing. My Empoleon that I had back in Pearl, my Torterra that I had back in Platinum – both of which I know I once transferred into White 2 – gone!! Deleted!
The only pokemon from the PDPlat era I’ve got fond memories of and still alive is Giratina, Dialga, Palkia from Platinum who is still stuck in White 1, as well as my starter from HeartGold and Ho-Oh as well.

Really wish I had a time machine, because I am so annoyed at past self right now… (I guess I never expected I’d ever be interested in transferring pokemon to the next gen.) :frowning:

EDIT: Whoa… this is probably one of the craziest backwards Nintendo decisions ever – even after paying the fee to use the app, you need a compatible 3DS Pokemon Game with a pokemon in storage for it to even get you to the Bank’s main menu. If you don’t, then it complains “there’s nothing to transfer over, silly!” and boots you back to the Press Start menu…
I don’t have a compatible 3DS Pkmn game, so… What the actual fuck??

4 Likes

I recently got my hands on Japanese 3rd gen cartridges. They weren’t cheap, but not crazy expensive either.

I bought them to do what I always wanted: make a pokemon with all possible ribbons.

But not just any pokemon. I want as many ribbons as possible, so it needs to be able to exist in every game. I also want something iconic. My choice was obvious; Pikachu. Not any Pikachu either, an iconic one. I want it from Viridian Forest, Kanto.

So I started a fresh save on FireRed. There, my journey for Ribbon Master begins.

My brief playthrough so far.

Right off the bat, I was annoyed by the five-latter limit to the name. I can’t even write my name!

After some thought, I decided to go with only the first name.

I was tempted to give my rival the latter half, but I should respect his name, right?

I went to Viridian Forest to find a Pikachu. I also want my ribbon master to go through a journey with me. And as my first encounter in the forest, a Pikachu appeared.

And there you go, this is the Pikachu that will go through the long journey of ribbon collecting. He is nicknamed ピカ(Pika) as a reference to Pokémon Adventures.

I must remember to keep him under level 50 because gen 3 does not automatically adjust levels in the Battle Tower. Since there is a ribbon for beating Lv.50 challenge, one ribbon will be permanently lost if gone above 50.

It’s a long way to go, but wish me luck!

4 Likes

Pokémon Horizons

You can hear the new theme song in the Japanese trailer.

3 Likes

Credit where credits is due. Im glad they got rid of that terrible art style they adopted at the start of the Sun and Moon anime.

2 Likes

The first and second episode of Horizons has aired in Japan! Both are available on the official Japanese Youtube channel but with region lock and no caption or subtitle.

My impression has been positive so far. My favorite thing about this new show is that it has an actual plot, unlike the last one. Looking forward to future episodes as well as official localization!

Spoiler:

A new Pokémon reveal? Now that was a surprise. It seems like it has a connection to Terapagos, possibly a pre-evolution or an alternative form.

The new show is also getting two comics tie-ins. One is by Kei Yamadaka(山鷹 景) and will be published by CoroCoro Comic, a magazine for boys, starting the same day as the show’s premiere. The other is by Kahori Orito(おりとかほり) and will be published by Ciao, a magazine for girls, starting the next month.

Edit: The image is probably not that big of a spoiler since it was posted by the official twitter account.

Edit 2: One of the comics started the same day as the premiere. My bad.

3 Likes

4 Likes

Alright so I had the opportunity to get something cool. More so two cool things.

Found an Authentic Copy of Leaf Green at my local 2nd and Charles. I also learned they price their stuff based on a specific price checking website. That being said I plan on buying a Reproduction Box/Sleeve for the Cartridge so it has a home.

Before I delete the save, I’ll be transferring any Pokémon to Gen 4 via the Pal Park feature. This will also be the first time I use the feature since I never had the GBA Games growing up. That being said down the road I’ll be buying a Copy of Emerald aswell.

Next, thing I’ve discovered and ultimately purchased was these very High Quality cartridges of the Liquid Crystal Rom Hack.

I usually don’t buy rom hacks cause they’re free to run on emulation but this is essentially a Crystal Remake in Gen 3 which I couldn’t pass up since the seller has prioritized Quality over Quantity especially when it comes to the GBA Shell which reminds me of the Atomic Purple GBA.

I opted for the Complete Version cause I have a thing for my games to have Cases/Boxes so that set me back the extra price for it. Plus it looks official! Unfortunately I won’t be receiving this right away cause they’re preorders that won’t ship out for at-least another two weeks. Fortunately by the time this ships out I’ll be purchasing a modified GBA SP since it’s official the last handheld I’m missing/want outside of an actual 3DS. Exciting times for me as a Pokémon enjoyer/fan.

4 Likes

Obligatory Game Pokemon Collection Post With Pictures.
this will also include Rom Hack Cartridges

Game Boy Advance (Gen 3)

Pokémon Emerald.
authentic copy with a new battery for sale it’s RTC, the box is a Reproduction, but it’s mainly to store the cartridge, I’m currently playing it and have exported my saved to add the mystery gift events to experience them, but it’s been a mostly 100% as intended experience with the save edit to add the “DLC” lack of a better way to word it…. I want to see the events.

Pokémon Leaf Green.
authentic copy with a reproduction box, same as before with the exporting save to edit it and add in the events that were exclusive to Japan and of course the exclusive Sevi Islands

Various Rom Hack Cartridges.
Clover (if you know you know), Liquid Crystal (Gen 2 remake in Gen 3, great but very much flawed, Adventures Red Chapter (Based on the Manga).

DS Games (Gen 4+5)

Pokémon Platinum.
CIB Authentic with original inserts cause nothing speaks nostalgia then the Rotom Event Insert

Pokémon Soulsilver.
Authentic with non resale case and inserts, only thing missing is the big box and Pokewalker

Pokémon Black.
CIB Authentic with of course inserts

Pokémon Black 2.
CIB is it’s again the Inserts, an actual sequel to Black and I haven’t played it yet

that’s it that’s the collection, I stopped after Gen 5 cause I’m a 2D/2.5D Elitist

4 Likes