Things you just found out

Northwest Territories license plates in Canada are shaped like polar bears

In 1970, to celebrate the centennial of the territory, a unique polar bear-shaped plate was introduced. The basic bear shape has been retained ever since, and the plate is now a registered trademark of the Government of the Northwest Territories.

5 Likes

That’s a bit “fun” or “silly” but I like it. Governments should have a sense of humour or playfulness when it’s not a giant cost increase.

2 Likes

It’s Christmas. And maybe you’ve got some grudge with someone. So today I learned of this peruvian tradition:

3 Likes

Is it Festivus or Fisticuffs? :thinking:

3 Likes

Today I just found out that @TheChicken has its own church!

6 Likes

The nickname, which translates to “chicken church” in English, arose because the structure’s shape resembles a hen to most onlookers, although the builder intended it to be the shape of a dove.

Hehehe… Yes!.. YES!..

240px-Gereja_Ayam_Magelang

7 Likes

I just found out that this: :eye::lips::eye:

Looks like a furby

5 Likes

I was talking politics today with a friend and we came across a question. When was the last time Chicago had a Republican mayor?

Answer: 1931 :joy: .

3 Likes

Entrance of the Gladiators (clown theme) is sampled in Yakety Sax (wacky chase music).

(Heard at 0:36)

Found this neat site in which you can load levels from video games into your browser and explore :smiley:

sadly to Hitman levels :pensive:
… yet

5 Likes

Not really related to Hitman… This is why I’m posting this here. I googled ‘Rocco dialogue Sapienza’ and got this strange (and unfortunate) news story…

“Shoved to the ground” probably not over an apartment balcony.

3 Likes

This morning read an article that our eyes (or rather a brain) perceives information not in a real-time, but for the last 15 seconds. I.e. we see things with 15-seconds delay.
Smells like a bullshit, but this is a strange world.
Original article is here:

In order for this to be true, that would mean that our brains interpret every sense we have with the exact same 15 second delay with no variation, in order to correlate everything we experience. If I stab my own hand with a knife, then everything I experience, including the action of the stabbing, the feel of the blade plunging into my flesh, and seeing, smelling, and feeling the blood, as well as hearing my own curses, all happened 15 seconds ago, and any and all things tied directly to the cause-effect sphere of influence of that action are all affected with the same delay in realization, not just for me, but for every single person who can corroborate what I did, or who is otherwise affected by it.

I call bullshit.

1 Like

Forgive me if I’m wrong but from what I have read of the article and the research they linked it doesn’t say that our vision is delayed for 15 seconds, it just doesn’t bother updating an object that doesn’t change a lot and instead take things from what we saw up to 15 seconds ago and merging them together to form a picture.

From the article:

The brain automatically smoothes our visual input over time. Instead of analysing every single visual snapshot, we perceive in a given moment an average of what we saw in the past 15 seconds. So, by pulling together objects to appear more similar to each other, our brain tricks us into perceiving a stable environment.

From the research they linked:

Here, we introduce a previously unknown visual illusion that shows direct evidence for an online mechanism continuously smoothing our percepts over time. As a result, a continuously seen physically changing object can be misperceived as unchanging. We find that online object appearance is captured by past visual experience up to 15 seconds ago. We propose that, because of an underlying active mechanism of serial dependence, the representation of the object is continuously merged over time, and the consequence is an illusory stability in which object appearance is biased toward the past. Our results provide a direct demonstration of the link between serial dependence in visual representations and perceived visual stability in everyday life.

I think I never knew that Leonardo DiCaprio’s grandmother was born in Odessa and moved to Germany at some point, until just now when it became known that he donated $10m to Ukraine.
Good to know my hometown is an origin to some well-known and famous people :slight_smile:

5 Likes

$10 million? Good for him. If the internet can be believed that’s over 4% of his total wealth.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/IOInteractive/status/1505556533769379844

Apparently a lot of people don’t realize Spring starts on March 20th…

1 Like

Oh, come on.
It’s just Winter Roadmap has ended and Spring Roadmap is on the way.
Nothing special happened

It was a few weeks ago I realized that this song…

is actually saying “I’m going to take you for a ride!”

And I’ve played this game in the arcades when it came out back in 2001('ish?).

I found this game/cabinet in a place called ‘The Courts’ where they had a gym where locals could play basketball and volleyball or whatever. They had other games in the ‘Ardace Room’, so with all the noise, my ears misheard the lyrics as…

I gotta keep 'em moving back

And ever since then I’ve always thought that’s what the lines were.

It’s at first a bit disappointing to know that you’ve thought the wrong thing for 20 some years, but I do appreciate finally knowing the truth. :sweat_smile:

It might have to do with how the singer pronounces “for” and it sounding like “foo”

Foo a… moving. My poor stupid ears. :face_exhaling:

3 Likes

When I was little (really little) Steve Winwoods - Roll with it Baby was “Hell had a Stada.” Stada was pronounced stay-da. I didn’t know what a Stada was, but I was 5 years old and i was sure that’s what the lyrics were. It was one of my favourite songs. Now that I know the actual lyrics it’s my least fav of Winwoods 80s hits.

Just so we know we’re not alone…

2 Likes