Unpopular Opinions About Other Games/Series

My only problem with Max Payne 3 is that for me it felt short even though there’s 14? chapters. I actually replayed it again as soon as I finished it, only other game I did this was Darkness 2 (I fully recommend it). Guess it felt like this because of the huge number of cutscenes but I didn’t mind them.

I rarely skip in video games (good ones at least) which reminds me, was R*, a gaming company that puts a lot of time, effort, resources etc. into their in-game cutscenes, high or drunk or something when they came up with the statistic screen in TBoGT, GTA5 and RDR2 that forces the player to skip cutscenes to get the best mission time?! That’s the dumbest thing a developer can do, it’s pretty much spitting in the face of everyone involved in making those cutscenes :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Hence why I said it is not perfect - It’s deserving of credit for the things it does right and deserving of criticism for the things it does wrong. Max Payne does absolutely nothing right by contrast

i’m just saying that’s a massive understatement is all. it’s ‘not perfect’ makes it sound like, i dunno, it’s a little scuffed or something.

1 Like

Because at least it’s actually trying!

It’s short, but it’s undeniable Max Payne and the R.A.G.E engine work really well together and has one of the most fluent and satisfying combat systems compared to the grounded sluggish nature that Red Dead has. I can’t compare it to GTA cause I just think it’s combat has always been weird and I never really enjoy it due to it feeling overly simplified.

I like Red Dead’s Combat for it feeling weighty and sluggish, to me this works given the setting and world where you aren’t running wild with fully auto shotguns like in GTA.

I like Max Payne 3’s Combat because it’s more Arcady and precision focused which works really well with the engine it’s using.

3 Likes

for every well rounded female character (of which there are a couple) there are a hundred naked dead women decorating a scuzzy apartment.

my one minor issue with the gameplay is how the bullet-time meter fills. max payne 2’s bullet-time system wanted you to stay in it and dance around like a bullet-spraying nightmare, whereas 3 has a more staccato rhythm where you dance between cover, take a breath and go again. it was especially noticeable in the higher difficulties when the meter filled very slowly.

i liked it a lot, but it was a step back from 2’s system.

2 Likes

I have a lot, here goes.

Persona 4 is the worst in the series and Persona 1 is the second best entry.

Wind Waker isn’t fun and the best gameplay it has is the sailing.

Dragon Quest 11 is one of the worst games in the series and Dragon Quest 6 is one of the best.

Yooka Laylee is better than Banjo Kazooie but Banjo Tooie is the best of the three.

Mario 3D World is the best Mario game.

Spyro 2 is worse than Spyro 1.

The Gamecube isn’t that good except for its best game by far F-Zero GX.

Star Fox Zero is the second best Star Fox game.

Civilization Revolution is the best Civilization game.

That´s a good point. Completely forgot how I tended to play the game more as a classic cover shooter in a lot of moments, rather than going for the “proper” MP style gameplay (and yes, 2´s bullet time system was the best).

Anywhos, just bumped into this video and it gave me the urge to replay MP3 as soon as possible, just to appreciate those details more/again.

PS: Can we take a moment to appreciate what a fantastic soundtrack this game has?

4 Likes

why yes. yes we can:

3 Likes

Watch Dogs 2 is one of the best games to have been released in the last 5 years, truly underrated

4 Likes

Forza Horizon 2 is still the best forza, by a mile (no pun intended :joy:)

1 Like

NFS The Run was a really great racing game (although it was NOT really a Need for Speed game). The idea of driving cross country through varying terrain types rather than just tooling about a single city or being confined to a looped race track was a lot of fun. While the quicktime events didn’t belong in the game and are a low spot, the actual driving portion was really enjoyable. It reminded me of Great American Cross Country Road Race from the early 80s. I wish there were more games like it.

4 Likes

Sonic games are scary.

Yes, scary. I’m scared of them because it looks like they have many alternate paths to get to the end of the level, but my brain just wants to figure out which one is the best one to get the best score for the level – something that the series about going fast just isn’t about.

probably not an “unpopular” opinion, but an opinion I’ve just now figured out about myself and why the titles look so daunting and overwhelming to get into

4 Likes

Theyre also scarily bad and manage to be worse than your expectations each time you lower them!

And this coming from someone who wanted to like the series

4 Likes

Depends on what Sonic game you’re talking about really, there is a lot of leeway in terms of linearity in both the 2D and 3D titles. Something like Unleashed or Generations can be daunting since those levels are all quite lengthy and hide a lot of shortcuts and routes, but games like Colours, Forces, and the Cyberspace stages in Frontiers tend to be a lot shorter and bite sized. Adventure 1 I remember for being fairly linear, and the physics for Sonic’s spindash and Tail’s flight being extremely exploitable, that game might be a good place if you really enjoy speedrunning.

For 2D Sonic, if you’re willing to break out an emulator, Advance 2 is a game that was pretty much designed around almost nothing but making Sonic go fast as possible. And then there is Rush for the Nintendo DS, the game that introduced the boost mechanic the 3D games would later adopt, so you can go quite fast there too.

Not sure if any of that could be of help.

3 Likes

So you’re basically trying to play the Sonic equivalent of Silent Assassin and it’s too much pressure. That actually sounds about right.

4 Likes

Watch Dogs 2 was one hell of a great game.

7 Likes

calling cops on gang hideouts was always pretty funny.

8 Likes

Or even better, provoking rival gangs to clear the path for you.

7 Likes