Watch Dogs series

man, i love clint hocking. i think he’s a hugely looked over designer, at least, more than he should be. the recruitment system in legions has its flaws but it is super clever, especially - and this will sound wanky - the political implications it brings to the series (collective action vs individualism). i hope they refine in future.

that being said, this incredible system is attached to a painfully middle-of-the-road game. i’ve got zero desire to return it. damn shame.

Heads up, Dedsec! Today is the launch day of Legion’s online mode. It will be launched at 7 AM PT, 10 AM ET, 4 PM CET. Before you jump in, make sure to download a patch first. :wink:

see the patch notes here.

Hey how’s everyone enjoyed Legion’s online mode so far? I have to admit I didn’t play too much of it and went back to play WD1 after having enough with tech point mechanism.

Anyway, the latest news, which I believe it’s the most cared about thing within the game’s communities:

Dun dun dun! Roadmap is announced. It’s about time. A few more things I’d like to point out though:

• New Mission under Late April section seems to take place in The British Museum, which is a new interior. The mission will be called Swipe Right, info found on the official website. The other two were added in the Online mode update.

• New Assignments? Sudden H2 flashback…

• Advanced Character Customization seems to be hairstyle, facial hair, tattoo and piercing, as confirmed in this tweet.

• PVP Extraction mode under Late May section was never mentioned before, guess it could bring back some decent PVP combat from 1 & 2. PVP Invasion will return at the same time too.

• World Event tied with Assassin’s Creed could be something interesting, noted it is marked as a free content.

In the end, I am glad to hear a scheduled released date for Bloodline DLC, which will likely be the point where I return to this game.

Vigilante hacker Aiden Pearce is back, and this time he’s teaming up with Wrench in a new storyline set before the events of the main game.

This could be an interesting turn. :slightly_smiling_face:
Source

5 Likes

A bunch of new content coming out on May 4th.

I love the fact that they’re adding these types of post launch operatives. The DJ and the first responder seem really fun. Let’s not forget about the mind controlling operative Mina Sidhu who might have a very interesting mechanic.
It also looks like the new ‘Swipe Right’ mission is taking us to the British Museum, I believe? Which should be a fun interior to explore.

Tagging @YellowZR1 since I’ve yet to try the multiplayer and I might actually return to this game this time around.

Source

3 Likes

Absolutely! @Lucas let’s play co-op together! I haven’t developed my online team well either, with only two operatives now, so perhaps it’s a good time to return. I hope they provide a private co-op option in this update, though.

Character customization is also coming, and that’s good news. I guess we won’t need to rely on RNG to get a bald assassin no more. :joy:

1 Like

Ah, man. I should really try out Legion again. The co-op stuff sounds pretty interesting, though are the new characters and abilities exclusive to the Online portion?
(There’s no invasion yet, but they say it should be included by late May so that’s nice.

I found out the existence of a cool Ubisoft-approved Mod for PC.
It gives you a lot of control over the game world. Spawning objects, cars, changing the weather, time of day, traffic, accessing story-exclusive areas and a Free-cam. Looks useful for PC.

2 Likes

It’s out now! I’ll try it out soon.

4 Likes

So, I’ve started a fresh playthrough once again after the game got updated. I haven’t tried out Mina the mind control girl yet, but there’s a few neat QoL things that I think worth a mention:

• The 15 available starter operatives now have two traits instead of one. For instance, in my new playthrough, I picked a man with P9 pistol and Kelley Vendetta traits, which he used to only have the pistol.

• Paste-up activity/collectable will now have a small checkmark around its icon to show it is completed.

• Aside from facial customizations, it is now possible to buy clothing items from other stores anywhere, even by using the safehouse’s wardrobe. To unlock a brand’s contents, all you need to do is to visit its store once.

Overall my experience so far has been good, despite a little delay from the original planned roadmap. Kudos to the developers who put their hard work into this update. :+1:

4 Likes

Facial customization was added in?

Yes. Previously you could only change hat, glasses, and mask. With yesterday’s new update, operatives’ hairstyle, hair color, facial hair, piercing, and tattoo can be changed.

You can view the patch notes here.

A new trailer for the season pass hero Mina Sidhu was released as well. It’s pretty well animated, just a shame we don’t get to play her backstory as a mission.

5 Likes

Finally jumped back into WDL tonight, and I’m starting to warm up to it.
Last I played was near release, and I only finished the first 2 or 3 missions :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

As of right now, I just recently unlocked Permadeath and finally it’s getting good.
I just had 2 operatives in a row die in a recruitment side-mission! Jeez that’s scary! And I’ve only got 2 left!
I’m playing on Hard/Permadeath. Wow you take so much damage, so fast! Get hit twice in melee? That’s a black and white screen… Can anyone confirm if Operatives can get arrested or hospitalized on Hard Permadeath? So far, it’s just been one strike and they’re out.

I’ve got a good list of operatives just waiting to be recruited, but they all hate me for one reason or another. I haven’t yet unlocked the Deep Profiler tool to get those done, but I really should if I don’t want to restart this whole thing! (not that I’m very far)

This is super great and I love how I don’t need to remember where the specific store is if I’m looking for a specific clothing item to save up for.

All the facial customization stuff costs money (even hair colour) which is a bit sad, but there’s probably plenty of money to go around the further you get into the game.

Some of the problems I had with the game are still nagging at me, though unfortunately it’s just hard-baked into the game… The Protagonists of your group all seem so artificial. The cutscenes involving them don’t seem lively enough and the way they implemented the voices and character models is a bit wonky. There’s always some sort of delay whenever they’re having a conversation, it’s kinda creepy.
Also the map is one huge collect-a-thon, typical Ubisoft. The writers wrote a lot of lore content for the game, but it’s too bad that I don’t really care enough to read every single one.

3 Likes

I can assure you that getting arrested is possible in Hard/Permadeath on. However, it’s not me who control my operative and get busted. Operatives can get arrested or kidnapped randomly offscreen, and sometimes hospitalized in certain side missions.

To get hospitalized, however, is to have zero health either by being beaten in melee or being ran over by a vehicle. Permadeath happens when an operative is shot to death or by lethal explosion nearby.

Yeah, I hope and are certain this will be addressed in the Bloodline dlc, since the story and cutscenes are custom made for Aiden and Wrench only.

3 Likes

According to reddit, this stuff was added too in the update, but it’s not mentioned in the patch notes.

-12 half-face masks added to DedSec shop.

-All customization options are not gender-locked

Coool. I was wondering if the half-face masks were new… I don’t remember the Dedsec mask shop being so full at launch.
Also cool that the clothing isn’t restricted to gender. Very progressive of them.
Also, recruits now keep whatever clothing you bought for them even after you stop playing as them, which wasn’t there at launch. Neat.

1 Like

There is no worse feeling than finding a Professional Hitman, customizing the hell out of him and burning through all your money for an outfit… Only to die 10 minutes later.

3 Likes

Except failing an Elusive Target mission, that will be much worse! :joy:

Jokes aside, you can try and find another as long as you don’t lose all operatives and game over. I am not sure if the bald haircut has to be repurchased for another hitman, but hey, you get to keep the suit. :necktie:

This may help. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

New free clothing pack for the game.

It’s nothing really special, but apparently 3 other seasonal packs have released since launch for a limited-time. (Christmas, Chinese New Year, St. Patrick’s Day)
Figure I’d spread the word before it’s gone. I was unaware. You can get it through the Ubi Connect menu.

4 Likes

There are times where this game’s system really shines.

I just finished the Home and Hosed side mission, but didn’t neutralise the key NPC. I recruited her instead. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

As I went to kill her, I found that I could save her to my recruits, and even access her deep profile. So, doing a few of those tasks got her on my team and made the side-mission basically complete itself!
I was worried I’d break the game if I tried it, but everything seems fine to me!

1 Like

That reminds me. Is it possible to save Nigel Cass to recruits?

Unfortunately it’s not possible. All bosses and pretty much all story characters (those whose names are mentioned in dialogues) cannot be recruited.

Ubi updated the roadmap.

Looks like they might start bringing in the iconic E3 characters starting with Helen.

Oh, and they moved Invasions to August

I think I’ll be long done with the game by then.

3 Likes