What are the best all time movies?

I’ve never watched a movie that wasn’t directed by Martin Scorsese. What are the best movies that were not directed by Martin Scorsese?

Well, for me, Martin Scorsese is highly overrated, so almost every other movie has the chance to be better

reservoir dogs although i find tarantino in general to be quite overrated

5 Likes

The Godfather, and if you like Scorsese then you’ll like all three of the Godfather films.

2 Likes

Any movie that doesn’t have the Mexico orange or Eastern Europe bluish grey filter.

That and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

The Shawshank Redemption is probably my favourite movie of all time

5 Likes

Does this mean you haven’t seen Top Gun?

1 Like

Tbh, I recently started watching movies that weren’t made by Scorsese and I’m trying to make a list of movies that I still have to watch.

So far I’ve watched:

• Every Harry Potter Film
  • Every Rocky/Creed Film
  • Every Star Wars Film
  • Every Live Action Batman Film
  • Every Live Action Superman Film

Please Note: I’m only talking about live action films I’ve never watched. When it comes to animated films, I’m a huge disney fan.

2 Likes

Based on your list I think It’s time to try a comedy and a non violent drama.

Maybe try Blades of Glory and Love Actually.

The '54 original Godzilla
The original Star Wars Trilogy
Alien 1
American Psycho

4 Likes

Godfather part II
The Shining
Alien
Empire Strikes Back

6 Likes

Might as well watch the first one first. It won Best Picture, and best Actor as well as one other, maybe adapted screenplay. It also had 3 people nominated for best supporting actor (Caan, Pacino, and Duvall) who all cancelled each other’s votes out and a non godfather actor won. Part 2 also won best picture, best director, best supporting actor (DeNiro) but Pacino lost again (this time he was up for best actor), continuing the worst Oscar tradition ever where people (mostly men but sometimes women) lose when they should win and then get one years later when they maybe shouldn’t have (he won for Scent of a Woman, largely considered his “make up” win since he got robbed for Godfather2).

3 Likes

Too many.

Heat.

No Country For Old Men

There Will Be Blood

The Shining

American Psycho

Apocalypse Now (Final Cut)

2 Likes

This reminded me about Daniel Day Lewis. The OP should see a bunch of films he is in. Phantom Thread is my favourite, but Last of the Mohicans, Gangs of New York, and There Will be Blood are all excellent, as is Lincoln.

1 Like

I still need to watch A LOT of movies. Still, of the ones I’ve watched, these I say are among the best of all time:

• The Shawshank Redemption
  • One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest
  • Terminator 2: Judgement Day
  • Raiders of the Lost Ark
  • Chinatown
3 Likes

I haven’t watched much movies, and if only, then comedies. One I saw and loved were Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, both with amazing Simon Pegg.

5 Likes

You should check out The World’s End too. It’s the final of that spiritual trilogy.

4 Likes

i finished watching zoolander, i would give a 9/10.

1 Like

The second one is not nearly as good, but still funny. I gave Zoolander a 10 for comedy, and Zoonlaner No. 2 a 7, but maybe a 7.5 bc it was so many years later and the nostalgia was fun.

Blade Runner 2049 > Blade Runner Final Cut

Both are pretty great movies overall though.

Best superhero comic-book movie is hands down Guardians of the Galaxy 2. It’s got so much heart, is an awesome story of love and family, the soundtrack is freakin’ perfect. It’s been a few years since I’ve seen it, but it’s popped up in my head again recently. I love it.

2 Likes