What Videogame(s) Are You Playing?

Same. I loved it back in the day but I tried playing it recently and the camera alone just about killed it for me, especially after the much smoother modern experiences in the remakes (yes, both 2 AND 3) and 7. I forgot how awkward camera controls could be 15+ years ago…

I’ve been telling my brother for months that all I want is a 4 remake and next year I’ll have one. The only thing I’m nervous about is if they completely ditch the campy humor of the original; that alone just about made it a masterpiece.

I could definitely use a less awful Ashley though; once I wanted to see just how useless and detrimental she really was so I told her wait and turned around and shot her in the thumb with my weakest gun. I got a game over. I hoping they keep the unlockable knight outfit for her (she can’t be kidnapped or take damage while wearing it unless it’s scripted) or at least cut out her vocal cords like beagle and make her a mute.

3 Likes

I finished Alan Wake Remastered today. I like the IP and it’s got a good mystery/supernatural vibe, but

Oooh, oh man this game has not aged well. The story itself is captivating enough, but it is broken up by such repetitive, long, formulaic gameplay segments that make it such a bore to get through.

I was “lucky” enough to follow a 100% guide on the collectibles on this playthrough, just so I could get everything in one fell swoop. So, I was picking up new Manuscript pages every 5 minutes, and that at least broke up the pacing a little bit, so I could read along pages that teased future events or explained past events, or character things off-screen.
(Kinda reminded me of Control with how much lore-pages you’d pick up every few minutes)

But, yikes, the gameplay itself is just so shallow. The combat is extremely simple, the ways to dispatch enemies improves very little over the course of the game (burn away shield, shoot, rinse/repeat), and the amount of times the game finds a new way to force Alan to get lost in the dark woods, every episode, is agonizing.
The sections to get to the main objectives are just so long. Probably to keep some tension & mystery in where you go (hey, it worked when I was 12) – but honestly once you get stocked up, the game becomes such an action game it’s just tedious. But it’s not the kind of uber-powerful fun combat like Control uses so effectively.

The story itself is fun with some twists and turns in Alice’s disappearance and trouble Alan gets caught up in, but it doesn’t really get to the “hook” point until Episode 4 with Barry tagging along. Episode 2 & 3 are a series of ever-changing fetch quests (Go here. Oops, I lied! Go here!), and it’s annoying.

If I were to recommend this to someone else in the future, I’d probably find a nice recap of all the important story events, unfortunately.
This game needs a full modern remake. I feel like a lot of its pacing/environment issues are leftover from changing the game so drastically from its Open World design at the last minute.

5 Likes

Resident Evil 4 is shit and was the beginning of the downfall of RE as a whole. :blush:

5 Likes

Just the opposite, actually, as it revitalized interest after everyone got bored when RE0 turned out to be more of the same, not that I had complaints.

6 Likes

I should have added “in my Opinion”, I’m a stubborn Son of a Bitch who doesn’t like changes.

Resident Evil 0 has its problems but i still like it, because I’m a Rebecca Chambers Simp.

7 Likes

8 Likes

I see you and Albert Wesker are men of culture I see.

3 Likes

Yes.

4 Likes

I feel like I always got super lucky with Ashley, I think I only gameovered to her twice. Even the dreaded lever room in the castle I did first try.

lmao I always see the people who feel this way. I can’t relate personally but I think it’s just an “I wasn’t there” situation. Maybe it’s a similar feeling to how I feel about Dead Rising 3, a newcomer wouldn’t see much wrong with it.

Anyway, in news of actual things I’ve been playing, Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak’s demo came out, and after I think a dozen or so attempts I have finally beaten MORBIUS aka Malzeno but mostly known as MORBIUS

25 seconds left on the clock Hunting Horn solo, pretty nice run. I swear I will get through enough of my backlog to reach MGSV Ground Zeroes soon. But maybe Jedi: Fallen Order first? Yeah, that sounds like a good idea

2 Likes

Dead rising 3 is a perfectly fine entry, if a bit on the easy and brown side

2 Likes

Best psychopaths, too (Adam not withstanding).

Dead Rising 2’s TK has the nickname Kanye Wesker in the community.

1 Like

You mean terribly bad wrung out tropes and stereotypes based on the extremely boring deadly 7 sins, yea no. I prefer my psychopaths to be more american.

They were fascinating and terrifying. Wrung out? Hardly. Boring 7DS? Not in the least. These ones were dark and had some real creativity put into them. You want disappointing psychopaths, i direct you to Dead Rising 4.

1 Like

If you think these guys are creative than i have some bad news for the creative part of your brain. The only interesting take on a sin was the greed surgeon, the rest were obvious cliches that were a bore visually. (Except for the flamethrower dildo)

Dead rising 4 isnt a part of the series, its gutter trash

1 Like

Obese lady with an earring disorder on a scooter; vain bodybuilder with a fragile ego who fights with weights; omnisexual maniac with a flame thrower taking prisoners for his pleasures; lazy rich guy turns his home security system against you; basement nerd incel trying desperately to get attention no matter who he kills; martial arts master with anger issues who can’t achieve zen because he’s bitter about his life falling apart.

These were all creative and provided an interesting take one how to see a sin in action. Who cares if they were cliches or stereotypes; they were new and interesting and fun to fight, that’s all that’s relevant.

Sadly, DR4 is both part of the series and trash.

2 Likes

I personally think their stereotyping, and even harmful stereotyping for pride,lust,envy and gluttony really ruin them for me. I don’t think their designs are good compared to other psychopaths that looked more like regular people gone crazy than these folk that are so obviously designed to be bosses. And i personally thought that only 2 were fun to fight, Darleen in the diner and Dylan in the sex shop. The rest were all too easy and didn’t provide me with the satisfaction of beating a psychopath. They also lack any real personality besides their sin which also really harms the longevity of their characters and my interest in them. To the point where i have forgotten most of their names at this point.

What do you mean there’s only 4 dead rising games in this series. Dead rising 1, 2, 3 and dead rising off the record. Dead rising 4 doesnt exist

Ok, I’ll give you this one.

If only that were true. Have not seen a sequel opportunity so squandered since Turok: Evolution.

1 Like

glad to see turok has not been forgotten

1 Like

Not so long as I can draw breath… or pick up a controller.

2 Likes

I am the only human being that remembers that they were originally comic books. I remember my brother buying Turok: Evolution simply because it had dinosaurs in it.

2 Likes