What's New....?

Thank you :pray: in Germany one semester is only half a year, but still, I don’t want to study another six month :sweat_smile::see_no_evil: Yes, I already spoke to two other professors and I hope they will answer soon and I still hope that university will find a solution, too.

The problem is that the professors only supervise a certain number of students for their master’s thesis each semester. You have to apply for a place in advance. And the places for the upcoming semester are of course all taken. Therefore I don’t know whether a professor still has a free place. I just have to wait for that now :unamused:

7 Likes

Clemens has the record of 92 for now, which is the best in the new forum.
The top on the old forum was Travis’s post about SE dumping IO and stuff with 102.

4 Likes

Welp, Clemens just reached 100 likes. He could very likely dethrone Travis’ post. :hushed:

Edit: we have a new 102 likes king. Congrats Clemens.

5 Likes

Shit man that sucks. I have no idea how graduate level stuff works but I can imagine it’s a bit tough to find someone with the necessary expertise to help you especially if your thesis topic is a bit more niche. Hopefully they find someone for you soon :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you :pray: well the topic is kinda regular, but we don’t have many professors who can do the supervising; that’s the main problem. So the few we have already have enough students, but I still hope someone will take me :sweat_smile: I guess I need to beg a little :roll_eyes::triumph:

4 Likes

Advocating for yourself, not begging. You deserve a prof who is a knowledgeable and competent mentor.

2 Likes

You might have already done and tried that, but in case.

Do you have the contact information of the professor that was originally supposed to be your master thesis director ?
They can’t take up the role anymore but they might be ready to help you, by giving you the names of viable colleagues of theirs or by actively recommending you to them, or to the university administration.

If you know any previous master students, ask them the same. Even better if they were the kind of post master, now doctoral student that were one of your assistant professors or even better in charge of one of your practical study group (they would know you and your competences, and by experience they are the most eager to help out).

I hope everything goes well for you.

5 Likes

Do you have to study a full load? Or can you just take one course and maybe start working on the paper while biding your time? If you take only one course would that save you some €€?

Either way I hope you just find a Professor to work with, but if you can’t I hope it’s not an expensive semester you really shouldn’t have to take.

2 Likes

@LandirtHome Thank you, yes, I have already done something similar. My old professor said something like “I will leave, it’s not my problem who will look after your thesis anymore” :roll_eyes: maybe it’s better that he’s not doing it anymore :sweat_smile:

@Yacob I still have to do two seminars next semester, I wanted to do them together with the master thesis. If I will not find a professor I will only do the two seminars next semester and than in winter only the thesis :sweat_smile: feels kinda like time wasting. But I have a 20 hour job, at least that gives me the feeling of doing something and not wasting my time. And I’m not on a private university, so it’s not expensive to study, only about 600€ per year- it’s annoying, but I could handle that.

It’s just annoying because I’m already so old and I’m already studying for so long because all these years I could only study half the time as most students because I had to work next to university. And there were other difficulties, like I changed the topic of my studies some years ago, some personal problems which caused that it took me longer. And now I was finally seeing an end and now this… it’s just very frustrating :unamused:

6 Likes

What an asshole, you’re probably better off with a new prof anyways

4 Likes

I forgot that attending a university isn’t a financially crippling endeavour in other parts of the world.

Oh yes! All of us at HMF are always talking behind your back about what an ancient babushka you are :joy:. You know how I know I’m getting old? I know because it makes me laugh when people your age say they are getting old.

6 Likes

Haha well, as a woman of 34, single, no children and no finished education (I have a bachelor degree, but to become a teacher I need a master degree too) I often feel kinda old :sweat_smile: not that I want to change something about the first two things :see_no_evil: but finishing education would at least let me feel a bit more “adult”. At least that’s what I’m hoping :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

School has been at its worst with exams and lengthy tasks and combining that with classes I take, I’ve had 9 exams in 3 days. 8 hours minimum studying a day. Not sure how I’m yet alive. Did a pretty good job with it though, all were above 80 with a few +90s as well.

11 Likes

sounds like an absolute muppet.

damn. congratulations, my man.

4 Likes

That sounds tough but I’m glad you did so well! You can be very proud!! Congratulations :partying_face:

4 Likes

@norseman look who I encountered on Instagram :laughing:

7 Likes

I must say I do look good in fur.

9 Likes

You somehow look similar to him in real life as well.

4 Likes

My co-worker and I have worked on this Whoville backdrop for two weeks now, we are about done. We didn’t have much time as the event it’s needed for is December 3, but we are very proud with what we got accomplished.

19 Likes

my search was unsuccessful, reddit was too reddit, fandom was boring af, so yeah. im back.

1 Like