With the Deadly Sins DLC is it almost confirmed that we will not get variations of Hitman 2 and 3 maps?

Speaking to the topic, I do think that the speed that H3 became profitable has definitely increased the chances of something happening - who knows, maybe they’ll decide to go back and complete the unused bonus mission in Sapienza that involves the Caruso brothers (different mission than the original scrapped H1 ET) that is in the game data. With Hakan recently revealing that it took four years for H1 to become profitable, there’s no way we would’ve gotten anything more substantial than 7DS if things didn’t pan out the way they did.

Whether any thing will see the light of day though… :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

7 deadly sins, 6 H3 maps…
I think we might get one or two of these escalations in older maps.

You’re right on that, but I think one or two are just assuming all these ‘Seven Deadly Sins’ are going to be Escalations. They might be right, but let’s hope IOI take us by surprise and mix it up a little bit.

2 Likes

This entire thread is based on that exact assumption. When they released the news that the DLC was coming, it came with a press release/blog post covering some of the details. That post included two key pieces of information. First, the first month’s content would center around an escalation. Second, the cost of each piece of the DLC would be the same.

That immediately sent a lot of members of this community into a frenzy of conjecture that all 7 pieces of the DLC were just escalations because the prices was the same and they doubted that IOI would release an escalation and something more substantial for the same price. Once the roadmap came out for April and the first bit of May, people again went into negativity-land and spent that day commenting on how disappointed they were that A) the only real piece of DLC-related content in the roadmap was the paid escalation and B) there wasn’t much content in the roadmap for the month+.

The thread on the DLC announcement and the thread on the roadmap AND this thread are full of guesswork on what the DLC will contain but even more-so on what the future of Hitman content post-release will be. Many players who got the bonus missions of Hitman (2016) and then saw the perceived downgrade of Hitman 2’s special assignments saw the usage of escalations as the main Hitman 3 post-release content as proof that there were not going to be anything truly special in terms of extras.

There is a hierarchy of extra content in the World of Assassination games which I’ve covered elsewhere but in general:

New Maps are the best possible extra content. Examples: Haven, New York.

Bonus Missions (where existing maps are redone with new environments, time of day, mission stories, etc.) are next best. Examples: Landslide, House Built on Sand.

Good Escalations where substantial effort is put into creating a story-driven narrative, portions of the map are repurposed and redecorated, and there is continuity between levels come next. Example: Satu Mare.

Special Assignments where a new target is added to an existing map but little else is changed. These are essentially cancelled Elusive Targets. Examples: Bitter Pill, Embrace of the Serpent.

Bad Escalations where little effort is made at continuity between levels are the worst. Restrictions are simply built onto each level to make the mission harder but tend to feel repetitive. Examples: Pick any of the 5-level escalations, frankly.

When the DLC was announced and people started to play it and they realized that it is probably not a “good” escalation, and they started to guess that the price and the lack of any known content for the future pieces meant that nothing beyond escalations was coming, and they realized that the new 4-6 week schedule for the new roadmap format meant that the 7 Deadly Sins DLC will take us pretty much to the end of the year, they grew pretty sure that there was nothing else on the horizon for Hitman 3.

Statements by IOI seemed to confirm this with comments about not creating new levels but using the existing content from all three games. That cut any real potential of New Maps out in a single statement. The best possible extra content that left players with was Bonus Missions but the development effort of creating a Bonus Mission is too large for the 4.99 DLC price-tag. Since the only other available extra content is Good or Bad escalations or Special Assignments (and no one is particularly excited about Special Assignments), that leaves only escalations left as possible content for the rest of the DLC.

Since the players tend to skew more pessimistic, the community at large seems to be assuming Bad Escalations as the most likely content. You’re right that IOI could surprise us. They could release true bonus mission-style content or do something else entirely but most players doubt it. None of this is confirmation that Hitman 3 will or won’t get more substantial DLC content later on, but that’s the current thinking by (seemingly) most of the community.

7 Likes

All we can do is wait and see.

Like I say you could be right and all the Seven Deadly Sins DLC could be Escalations. In fact if I was a betting man I’d say they are, however, that isn’t to say we won’t get any future content down the line very similar to the 2016 bonus levels like ‘The Icon’ and ‘A House Built On Sand’ etc.

IOI did an Anniversary bonus roadmap for Hitman 2’s anniversary, so hopefully IOI pull a surprise and announce some bonus levels for us in Jan 2022 :wink:

I know the above photo shows mostly Escalations etc, but it shows IOI will more than likely still give Hitman 3 the ‘One Year Anniversary’ content love next year. Here’s hoping we get some cool bonus levels :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

I hope so too and I do remain optimistic about the future of not only the current games but also the future of the franchise as a whole. It seems that some members of the community really believe that if a piece of content isn’t a full-blow new map or a true bonus mission a la Landslide, it must mean that IOI has given up on the game and the ride is over, so to speak.

Frankly, I think that most of the people what are so quick to jump on the “IOI has abandoned this game” bandwagon are the same ones that were so upset that the Carpathian Mountain level was too short, the deluxe edition was too expensive, IOI lied about having 6 maps (actually about the the 20 mastery levels per map part), and any number of other things that come up over and over again. They keep saying that they aren’t being too negative - just stating facts and being realistic, but after enough of it, it’s really hard to hear it as anything other than complaining.