Yes or No...? 2

corrected it for you :wink:

11 Likes

I’ll never understand these fans who hate Blood Money, Absolution, or any game in the series. And do spare me the spiel about how a real fan holds the thing they’re a fan of to a certain quality and can dislike something it produces that doesn’t meet that quality and blah blah blah. I didn’t buy that cheap ass argument for Metallica or Godzilla, and I won’t buy it here. Folks are just picky and weird.

So says the guy who still won’t stop bitching about the electrocution phone, of course.

4 Likes

I think I found the problem!

8 Likes

I absolutely despise Absolution’s writing, and the game wants to be story driven. Even without that it’s so grotesquely disgusting to me so I just cannot look past it.

So I despise Absolution. Simple as that.

(also the “all enforcers to your disguise, no social stealth, linear” gameplay is plain bad, no matter how much they learned for the WoA for the room size gameplay loops)

7 Likes

Not really. I’ve heard that part and don’t buy it. Give me something new, otherwise it’ll just continue to be a mystery.

Well, I guess in that case it really will remain something I never get. I love the story of Absolution, and its linear gameplay is no more restrictive than the first three games, so I guess his one will remain dark forever to me.

Still doesn’t explain the hate Blood Money gets.

3 Likes

it’s pretty simple: people like what they like and don’t like what they don’t like.

i think it’d be weird if people liked things purely out of, what, brand loyalty…?

oh, and i think metallica are just the worst. yey-yah!

10 Likes

You can’t convince me an album that begins with the lyric “My lifestyle determines my deathstyle” followed by the sound of someone banging on an oil drum to be anything other than the worst album since Metal Machine Music.

4 Likes

i uh i love that album. genuinely. :joy:

1 Like

No, not brand loyalty, but I have never come across anything that had multiple installments, with one of them so profoundly different than the others that I disliked it. No matter what the form of entertainment, if I like a thing, every part of that thing is similar enough to the others that I like all of them, in different ways, but they are all under the same umbrella of enjoyment. I don’t understand people who do not do the same, or somehow believe that an installment of something they like is different enough to warrant dislike.

You’re wrong, but, at least that implies you don’t like them in any part. To continue my point, I don’t understand the concepts of fans of “old Metallica” and “new Metallica.” I’m “all Metallica.”

Don’t worry AllMusic and Pitchfork do as well. You like the noisier stuff and if there is one perfect adjective to describe that album it is noisy.

2 Likes

Good thing there’s no such album. The one you seem to be referring to begins with the lyric “If I could have my wasted days back, would I use them to get back on track?”

growing up, my bedroom was next to a room with a broken washing machine. i think that may be the ground zero of my musical taste.

okay, but that’s you. that doesn’t necessarily apply to anyone else.

for example: i love hitman, yet find absolution veers far enough from the strengths i appreciate about the series (biggest one being the level design closely followed by story focus) that i don’t like it.

believe it or not, i really wanted to like it.

a lot of folk don’t like splinter cell: conviction, far cry 2, skyward sword, mass effect andromeda, dead space 3, ff xiii, dark souls 2, mgs 4, etc.

anecdotally, i’m not sure this applies for music. isn’t it fairly common for people to like a few songs from an artist but not the rest…?

3 Likes

Well, humanity does have a lot of evolving to do yet.

Hence why such instances are a case of the person liking the songs, not the artist. I’m not a fan of Taylor Swift, for example, but I’m fond of precisely four of her songs. A totally separate situation to my being a fan of Metallica, in which I am a fan of the band itself, and their repertoire falling in full under that banner as a matter of course.

I haven’t gotten far into dark souls 2 (mostly due to elden ring releasing), but what i played of it seemed pretty fun.

and mgs4 is unironically ironically one of my favorite mgs games, I probably enjoy absolution for the same reasons
which shows that even in the obvious outliers theres outliers

2 Likes

hopefully you can show us the way.

so band loyalty? :wink:

i see what you mean. again, i’m quite capable of not liking music from bands i love. i can’t just blindly love something because i likes their other stuff. you’d be hard pressed to find a bigger radiohead fan here (sorry @Charlie_Farmer ) but the drill EP and pablo honey are pretty awful, all told, and moon-shaped pool was far more miss than hit for me.

i love far cry 2 and enjoyed conviction. :joy:

i’m not saying everyone didnt like them, just demonstrating it isn’t unusual for fans to not like entries in beloved series. i just picked out some well known examples.

2 Likes

Well, again, it’s not that I blindly like everything a band I love makes, I just… do like everything they make. Just as I like every Hitman game. Just as I like every Godzilla movie. Once I latch onto something, I don’t like all parts of it just because it belongs to that; the fact that it belongs to that means that every part of it is the kind of thing I like. It can’t make something I don’t like, because then it won’t be that thing anymore. I’ve always been this way, and it has always confused me how no others are.

1 Like

I dont hate Blood Money, i dont hate any of the Hitman Games. Blood Money is nowadays my least favorite, but its still a good game.
I just like to make fun of it because it has so many fanboys.

7 Likes

that was my problem with absolution. it wasnt the thing i liked anymore.

1 Like

And that’s where my confusion remains eternal. Because… it is the thing you liked. It’s flavored different, sure, but it’s still that thing.

don’t take this the wrong way (i don’t think you meant it to come across as it did), but i think you’ll have an easier time understanding where others are coming from if you don’t presume what they like or think.

honestly, it’s super straightforward.

for me, the main draw of the hitman series was and is the level design. in fact, i think hitman - above all else - is defined by its level design and systems.

absolution sacrificed intricate level design that allowed players to express themselves systemically - which is the thing i come to the series for - for a focus on a story (that i did not like) and for graphics (that were - admittedly - really good). in that way, it wasn’t the thing i liked.

in a way, it felt like a thing i didn’t like wearing the skin of something i did like. like the watchmen movie!

2 Likes