Yes or No...? 2

No, I meant no offense by it earlier, sorry if it came across that way. I will say that this:

Is at least a decent explanation beyond the usual chatter (linearity, the characters, offensive themes and whatnot). I don’t think level design was sacrificed in any huge way, as the open world elements are still there in numerous instances and it still feels like Hitman, but the emphasis on story-telling directing that design rather than the reverse was a bit different. To be fair, I didn’t really like it that much when the same was applied to H3 and its cinematic openings affecting starting locations.

Huh, I finally have a criticism against Absolution I can relate to…

3 Likes

i know, man. all good :+1:t4:

if we ignore the travel levels (no hits, moving from a to b) and the ridiculous cutscene levels (the tailor, the bar fight, etc.), i think there are like 3 or 4 levels with assassination spaces that are approaching previous games. hunter hunted (sp?), for example, was great and used the new crowd mechanics in a really cool way.

the rest of the assassination levels - like attack of the saints, streets of hope and the weapon factory one - were literally one to three lane corridors or - like the wrestling one or sturkey’s (sp?) law - very small connected spaces with a specific direction of events.

outside of the aforementioned travel/cutscene levels, these levels made up the bulk of the game, and as a huge fan of the previous games’ open sandbox level design, i found it overwhelmingly disappointing. like, my favourite bit of hitman is getting my hands on a new level and exploring it for all the possibilities. you can imagine how i felt :smile:

yeah, i can appreciate that.

3 Likes

You see someone else’s post has this many likes… There isn’t a proper emoji to copy the blank heart, but you get the idea.

9 :black_heart:

It’s a good post that you haven’t liked yet. And once it gets to the 10th :heart: the person that made the post will get an ‘Earned Nice Reply’ award. But, it’s not exactly a NEW post.

How old of a post will you give a like to, not caring that it might make you seem weird to, or that you’re bugging the person that made the post? You do have the extra incentive of awarding them with the nice reply award.

• A few days old
  • 1 week old
  • 2 weeks old
  • 1 month old
  • A few to several months old
  • Since the beginning of this forum old

0 voters

Don’t take this as me griping about getting old posts liked and getting the notification. I don’t mind, but I don’t know how other people would feel about it. I may give a like to some older posts once in a while, but sometimes I avoid doing it if it’s (so) old.

4 Likes

I don’t care how old a post it. If an old post is still relevant and great today, I’ll give it a like. Besides, I don’t think it’s weird to like older posts. For example, I only joined HMF this year. There are plenty of posts written before I made my account. Why shouldn’t I be able to like those old posts?

9 Likes

You’re on big guy!!! :joy:

2 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue:

(Merry Christmas, I guess)

9 Likes

i’m not big, i’m festively pumped!

4 Likes

21 notifications, all but 2 (I think) were for ‘Nice Reply’. :joy:

Edit: Just like… Tetrafish… 21. :hushed:

5 Likes

The way I see it, people often dislike a few of an artist’s songs or albums because they’re missing the flavour that got them into it in the first place, and don’t provide a new but equally satisfactory flavour. The argument gets a bit stagnant (as you were saying Heisy) because people can’t pin down what’s missing for them. I think that dislike of something such as Absolution or any “black sheep” media is grounded in some sort of absence from or offputting introduction to the material (unless it’s just going with the trend/disliking something for the sake of it).

I’ve often found (with music especially) that experiencing something I dislike (again, within something I like overall) more times often makes me come around to it. Even if I can’t pin down what I don’t like, I’ll latch on to the elements that I do (whether they carry over from other songs or not) and find some merit in the songs. This is entirely anecdotal, but I think people aren’t willing to get past that initial sour taste to get the best flavours (to return to your helpful metaphor).

As for the “fan” thing, I would brand myself a fan if I like the majority of a band’s work, even if I never end up liking all of it or never try to appreciate it all. I guess that side of the debate is a definition-based thing, requiring most of it for me and all of it for you.

5 Likes

So…did you get what you wanted for X-mas?

• Exactly what I wanted!
  • Not quite but it was nice enough
  • Not even close but I didn’t tell them
  • Not even close and I DID tell them
  • I don’t celebrate X-mas so I don’t care

0 voters

2 Likes

Got another Godzilla Poster

8 Likes

Each year I get clothes so I know to never hope for anything else from Santa or else I’ll be really disappointed :grin:

8 Likes

I usually just get candy and tiny bottles of Tequila. I’d glady trade with you. :joy:

4 Likes

I picked ‘I don’t celebrate X-mas so I don’t care’, but it’s not that I don’t like Christmas, I just don’t see the point in exchanging gifts.

5 Likes

I hate the holidays and prefer not to celebrate it. But for some reason no one in my family listens to me when I say don’t buy me shit. Text me Merry Christmas, and let it be done. :neutral_face:

5 Likes

I got a RadioHead In Rainbows :rainbow: CD and i got some Dark Chocolate Hobnobs, I’m a simple man to please

5 Likes

There are alot of reasons eg

1. because they can
  2. because they want to show affection and kindness
  3. because everyone thinks Christmas means something aside from Jesus and his birth.
  4. because the three wise men gave baby Jesus gifts to show there support of his birth and his ways

Etc etc

2 Likes

Hanukah is a based holiday

3 Likes

Yeah, I know all that. :smiling_face:

I’m just saying it’s not for me personally. I don’t really like the pressure of getting someone a gift. If they don’t like it I don’t know if they’re going to feel obligated to keep it. I would rather they exchange it if they didn’t find it useful. And that’s about the only gift I’d rather give… Something that’s practical. But knowing someone well enough is half the battle. But unfortunately for me, I’m a bit of a loner. A sort of “hermit” -if you will.

Because in the end I’m spending money on something I’m going to give away, and if another person does the same… Why not just spend our monies on ourselves and save the trouble of the guesswork? If it were only gift cards that we were trading? Yeah. That’s just an additional step of having to trade them with the other person/s.

Now, for normal people - none of ^this would be an issue. So good on them if they can get all that to work out.

3 Likes

I think (for my own circle at least) the idea of gift giving has lost something. Used to be that we’d shop for gifts that we thought the other person would like. Now it’s all wish lists and people demanding the gift that they will be receiving. One of our family members called on Christmas day to demand and explanation for our failure to give them the specific gift they had requested. It wasn’t ever up to them what gift we chose to give.

It’s a “gift”, not an obligation. People should be pleased with whatever they are given, without any consideration of whether they asked for it, or if it was on their wish list, or even if they already had one. Just be grateful and say thank you!

11 Likes