Any way to reset the 'Shortcuts' in missions?

This may sound strange but I hate the idea of these shortcuts especially when they are open each time you replay the level if you’ve opened them before. It really spoils the immersion for me when 47 is meant to be infiltrating a building and there is like a gaping open door right there just waiting for him.

Is there any way to reset these back to how they were before I unlocked them or would I need to perhaps play offline to do this?

4 Likes

Playing offline does reset them I believe, but it also will remove a lot of other features too, including challenges and some starting locations

3 Likes

Thanks Contractor. I’ll check it out. I’m one of those old school people that doesn’t even care about challenges, trophies, scores etc and just love playing the levels over and over ha.

So once I’ve learned the game inside out I’ll probably play offline. THAT is how much I dislike the Shortcuts :joy:

3 Likes

Why would you reset them? Can’t you just stop using them?

Ye but just the fact that they are there and open is tickling my plums. I get ocd about stuff like that ha

4 Likes

Open door in Dubai is no worse than basement door in Paris, tbh. And the other shortcuts are not that glaringly handy.

1 Like

Would deleting your local save work?
So you’d keep all your unlocks & level but reset levels & story progress?
I’m not sure so don’t try it lol.

Of course you can Not use them but I get your point.
It annoyed me that the door in Dubai near the start of the level was opened yet I don’t remember opening it & now it’s always open, looking at me, saying “Use me”

1 Like

No. It’s attached to overall player progress.
If you want reset them, you have to wipe out all your progression.

And I must say I’m glad that there are people appearing who share my opinion on this very overpowered feature. I hope that in some time there will be a lot of haters of this thing that will make developers rethink this

6 Likes

Thanks. I might try that out coz like I said above I’m not bothered about scores etc.

Ye a couple of the ones in Berlin are twerking at me all the time as well ha.

1 Like

Ah darn.
I personally have only opened them on Dubai(apart from That door)
Maybe I’ll just play Dubai on my 2nd account :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s not useful, tbh. It doesn’t give some kind of unique access, it just saves 15-20 seconds of running around the level which is the whole point of it being a shortcut.

3 Likes

True. While as a long term Hitman fanatic I think these 3 latest games are practical masterpieces there have been a few strange design decisions along the way where I think “why have made everything so amazing but introduced that annoying as hell thing???”.

I like playing levels ‘fresh’ each time I play them so anything ‘persistent’ in games really grinds my gears. Metal Gear the Phantom Menace also had a similar thing where if you completed certain objectives during a mission and then restarted it, even without completing the mission first, those objectives stayed completed the next time you got to them. Really strange that devs go this way.

4 Likes

Shortcuts are closed ir contracts mode. So while I know it’s not the same as playing the main mission, but if you don’t care about challenges, maybe you could find/create contract with same targets and play that instead.

1 Like

Developers said once you open a shortcut it remains open all across the modes, including Elusive Targets.
I haven’t played any contract yet, but if I have a chance, I’ll check if they are closed

1 Like

No level is “fresh” after the first time you play it though. You know where that one guard will be or what route that bartender takes. You know where to get that outfit without knocking anyone out. You know which stairwell will get you closer to the target. Unless you can somehow forget that knowledge, the level will never be fresh again.

To my mind at least, the open door or accessible ladder is just that. It’s a quicker way around something that I’ve obviously already proved I can get around. There’s only about 15 shortcuts in the whole game so it really isn’t as egregious as some make it out to be, I think.

3 Likes

There’s a difference between a level physically changing and having knowledge of a level.

5 Likes

Maybe. Perhaps IOI will put in some method in the future to re-close or reset those shortcuts. I think the mechanic works just fine but players should have the choice if they want. I guess the easiest way going forward is to just never open those doors if you haven’t yet. Treat them like walls from play-through one.

1 Like

Ye definitely. I get what you mean about it being similar to knowing a level. It is mainly an ocd issue to be honest haha. The strange thing is they either:-

1. Act as shortcuts to cut out big parts of missions which I dislike because I consider infiltration methods and figuring out different ways to get to the same location as part of the fun aspect of Hitman missions
  2. Serve as effective quick exits out of the level which I think could’ve easily been achieved with a regular door that unlocks from the inside e.g. the door at the side of the club in Berlin
2 Likes

I’m torn on these. Some of them seem to make the map a little too easy, but then I don’t really find these games that challenging in the pure sense of difficulty anyway, it’s more about accomplishing the challenges. In that sense, most of these shortcuts seem designed to remove tedious repetition, more than anything. For example doing a SASO run in Berlin, you won’t have to deal with the drug dealer out front every time, and can just sneak in. Neither is hard, one just takes longer.

1 Like

I know what you mean, but it also spoils the immersion for me to encounter certain doors that 47 can’t open. You’re telling me that Agent 47 - the greatest professional assassin in the world for over 20 years - can’t pick open a backdoor to a nightclub? For immersion purposes, I’ll just pretend that 47 picked the lock on the shortcut door and that it wasn’t already gaping and open.

3 Likes