Chongqing guards - Discussion

In one of the threads, we began a slightly off-topic conversation regarding the looks and functions of Chongqing guards.

Click for the history

Maybe moderators can retroactively move these posts to this thread?

TL;DR - There is an opinion that ICA facility guards/security should have worn not uniforms, but instead something more formal, like a good old suit & tie combination.

Do you agree?
  • Yes, it would make more sense.
  • No, the uniforms from the actual level are a better choice.
0 voters

Another thought is that the street guards, being way too obvious visibly armed thugs, should be replaced with private security / police / undercover guards disguised as civilians.

Do you agree?
  • Yes, it would make more sense.
  • No, the ICA street guards from the actual level are a better choice.
0 voters

And for dessert: here is my take on ICA facility guards disguises :sweat_smile:

Don't zoom in, the pictures are cropped horribly

15 Likes

With respect to the outside guards. I think their look is decent in regards to staying low profile, which is what they are within the story. The only issue is that their placement/framing in the level isn’t subtle. They stand at the entrances of areas, clearly guarding. The two of those fundamentally clash

So instead of redressing them to clearly be security I would alter their positions and routes to make them less clearly security

7 Likes

I kind of prefer if the guards outside were more undercover than visibly armed, but I think it’s better as thugs than a private security firm.

China is a very strict country and a formal security company (who’d need to report everything to the government) in the public streets guarding Hush’s “business” sounds less plausible than simply a bunch of thugs hired for clandestine stuff. That’s why I’d prefer them not visibly armed.

1 Like

I’m kinda missing a third option for the facility guards that we touched upon earlier in the Chongqing thread, which is that the uniforms are a good/ok choice, but the visual style of the Tier 2/3 guards is not, because it’s way too similar to the Dubai elite guards. The original all black version would’ve been better.

As for the street guards, I like their current look, but I haven’t frankly examined their faces - are they even Asian? :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I think this question gives a skewed answer because it implies the street guards are not undercover guards, which according to me they are. Most of them are on rooftops so out of public view. The one that’s on street level talking with his buddies on the roof blends in very well, so do the guys talking in the alley about the homeless. The only ones that are too obvious are those guarding the lot behind/next to the restaurant, so like TheContractor said, their placement could be done a bit better. But their outfits are good. They just need to get rid of the walktie talkie, or put it under their coat.

I do agree that the military look for the guards that are inside the complex is unnecessary, and less “classy” than I imagined the ICA to be.

1 Like

They’re not Asian. There’s no Asian guards.

1 Like

There are Caucasian, Hispanic, African guys - but no Asians :joy: Only ICA facility guards and security have Asian faces

Currently, the street guards are guarding rooftops, backyards and entrances. If replaced with private security, they don’t have to know what exactly are they guarding. This could give some room for the dialogs - like, guards talking rumors about what’s going on inside, and this would give some info for 47 overhearing the conversation. This is my vision though.

Also, we’re talking about ICA here. The local administration is most likely bribed, I don’t think ICA can secretly build such a facility with no attention from the authorities :slightly_smiling_face:

Dunno man, they’re clearly showing off their radios, weapon holsters and stuff; and, of course, due to current NPC logic, they are treated as some kind of police by civilians, who will rush to them to report a crime.

3 Likes

Yeah but that’s always been a general issue of guards since H2. Not much we can do about that. But their clothes generally don’t scream “guard”

Rimland has a point tho. Why is no one Asian? :man_facepalming: Definitely doesn’t help them blend in

1 Like

Then this frankly is a bigger issue for me than what they’re wearing. The fact that there’s a bunch of armed guards in a part of town like this is one thing, but the fact that they’re all non-Chinese is what would/should really raise the locals’ eyebrows, and far from inconspicuous.

This I completely agree with. Rather than being secret all the way, it’s likely there’s an agreement with the local (or even national) authorities, in one form or another. That would however hardly involve breaking out to the residents that they don’t have to worry about all those foreign blokes with SMGs guarding apparently nothing?

1 Like

Absolutely agree, I was so obsessed with the clothes that I didn’t bring this up :grin:

And that’s why I’m suggesting local private security guys. Who wouldn’t stand out that much, given they are guarding the restaurant, “homeless shelter”, the laundry, the apartment block, decommissioned building etc…

2 Likes

And it would still feel over the top tbh. I mean these guys are standing heavily armed on a rooftop all day/night with camo nets and electronic equipment. All they’re missing is a fucking AA cannon :joy:

1 Like

I would just have enjoyed some more subtle and creative approach. Yes, the restaurant is a nice one. Yes, the entrances are all backalleys and I like that. But:

What about guards behind pillars in tresspassing areas? Or across the street with higher viewcone? So they just stay somewhere else, entrance seems unguarded, but once you step inside youre on everyones menue. I would have loved such an approach and it would take a while for us then to really figure out which are.

Whittleton Creek did a much better job. I still find guards by accident I never thought are guards before. Thats the kind of stuff I hoped to see.

2 Likes

The Street Guards wearing some sort of Security Uniform similar to the onew worn by the Paris guards would’ve made more sense to me. I feel a couple of “ACI Security” members guarding a rooftop is less suspicious than the obvious undercover guards. The ICA certainly has the money, connections and influence to create a shell company and not gain unnecessary attention from the local authorities.

As for the noodle restaurant, I feel like a looked gate and a guard dressed as dumpling cook in the backyard would’ve made the most sense.

I like the uniforms of the low-level Security Guards in the facility. Therefore, I wouldn’t want them to be replaced by suit wearing guards. Since the ICA is all about professional appearance, I think it even makes sense that the guards are wearing uniforms. That said, I don’t like the high-level guard outfit and wouldn’t mind them being replaced or removed.

3 Likes

When I first saw the high tier ICA facility guards, I thought they looked so out of place. Why are they wearing a militaristic outfit in a place like that? It also looks really similar to what the elite guards wear in Dubai.

About the street guards, I do think they made it look way too obvious that they are thugs. They’re not discreet about it at all especially near the restaurant. I like the idea of them being replaced by private security or the police.

5 Likes

I hated this in H2 and still hate it. Someone suggested it might have been an abandoned gameplay mechanic bc otherwise why would they add that to all the guards? Especially suited guards have no desire to have an even bigger “I have a gun” sticker on them. Even if they tend to be pretty obvious to anyone who’s looking out for them.

3 Likes

If only they weren’t that distracting with super bright blue screens, it would have been somewhat fine…

1 Like