Cut content from the 2016 Alpha

New video released today about the “new” prototype of Hitman, in the continuity of the videos posted by @Rowers :

17 Likes

So it’s pretty much confirmed that the game was never designed to be episodic?

I haven’t gotten that vibe from these videos - the varying states of completion seems to match the original release model: Paris/Sapienza/Marrakesh + the Bonus Missions at launch in December, with the other locations coming not long after at one location a month. Only IO got way behind, the game got delayed, Colorado was scrapped and then contracted out and the game got broken up into further pieces.

If it wasn’t meant to be episodic at all, I would expect to see more a consistent level of completion across the locations.

6 Likes

Not exactly, as @thrison stated, the different states of completion for the different levels are in accordance with “an episodic post-launched content”. But not the one we actually got.

The game was originally set to be released on 8 December 2015. But in September 2015, IOI announced the release is postponed to 11 March 2016 to “allow time to include more content in the base game” according to this planning:

At launch, six(?) story missions with three sandboxes were planned. The six missions could be “Showstopper”, “WoT”, “A Gilded Cage” and bonus missions “Icon”, “AHBOS” and “Landslide”. The state of completion of those different missions in the Hitman prototype, the date of them (July 2015) and the presence of three said bonus missions are consistent with this initial plan of content release.

During the maintime, a lot of things would had been changed. The initial Colorado map was scrapped and must be recreated. Gameplay mechanics were changed (removal of human shield, crate carrying) whereas different mission stories were added to Paris mission (Kruger and journalist stories). It would probably be the same for Sapienza and Marrakesh. Just have a look at the differences observed between the Alpha and the release content in this thread to get a better idea of the modifications. All of these took time.

Finally, IOI announced on 14 January 2016 that Hitman would be released in an episodic manner with the three first missions released monthly (March, April and May). The first bonus missions (Icon and AHBoS) on July, and finally Bangkok (August), Colorado (September) and Hokkaido (Ocotber). Landslide was released in January 2017.

In conclusion, the “episodic” format was probably drived by the development issues and modifications brought to game (+ Colorado recreation).

Source:

7 Likes

This concept of Colorado seems to make much more sense for a 4-target mission. Would like to hear some details from the devs on what the OG idea was…

Also, I am all the more disappointed that they didn´t use those ICA heavy troopers for the Chongqing finale…

6 Likes

Thought I’d share a link to this very build’s download (via reddit, thanks to user TJGM) for the sake of documentation and preservation of development:

https://mega.nz/folder/tn5Uyb7B#p9NCtI5SHrlrE9A_YhjoKQ

Does go without saying, it can be buggy as very much WIP material, expect crashes etc.

11 Likes

The original colorado is such a breathtaking design. Its not much we see, but damn, compared to “a few buildings and bushed” that wasnt even much to compare to any other Hitman map, if they would have done this, I’m sure colorado would even tackle Mumbai. I love how massive and huge it is, that verticality…! I wish it would have been a bit more completed, maybe textured, in the alpha, to at least enjoy it a bit. :smiley:

7 Likes

Yeah, and the retina scanner things for the doors as well :smiley:
I guess they reused that for the bunker exit in the final mission.

6 Likes

It really is interesting looking. Seems like it would make for a fun sniper map. But at the same time it’s pretty huge and I’m wondering whether it would hit the same “hidden guerrilla” vibe that the final mission does. But yeah, shame there’s not more of it to see and try…

1 Like

I highly suspect that the targets would have been entirely different. And the reason they are targets. Instead of taking down his milita (something they already kind of covered in Hitman 2 anyway), maybe they had a different goal. Going after someone that had interaction with the shadow client, or such. I would loooove to hear some official response on what it was meant to be.

2 Likes

Well as it seems there was only one target “Dorian Rose” which represents Sean Rose, was and is still the leader of the militia so he’s the only one that is truly of interest to defeat the shadow client

3 Likes

This only occurred to me relatively recently, in Bangkok there is this room with guards playing poker
And as I dug through files for scrapped ETs I found Riley Hunter Moorefield “The Gambler” & The Fisherman (codename: Spritzer), both targets are related to poker, so I’m thinking this scene could be linked to this ET

15 Likes

Guess what. The “old” version of 47 in this new build has eye movement, blinks and slightly opens / closes his mouth.

The “newer” one, while not quite close to his final incarnation has 0 facial expressions like the final version.

While not close to the one in the Sapienza trailer,

it does remind me of an old concept art of 47

11 Likes

Yeah this last model was apparently a model that was only used by IO very early during development, there is a few

13 Likes

I’m guessing after this model was scrapped for being too realistic (game still had the Absolution style)
It probably went to that weird one with no facial expression (you can guess that because this head is mostly used on alpha outfits) and then on to that old looking one/Sapienza trailer for outfits that ended up in release

1 Like

Even though prototype Paris mission is present in the new alpha build, different features confirm that the “new” Alpha is a “newer” version from the “old” closed Alpha Paris.

Among the differences noticed:

• It is now possible to snap neck unconscious body.
  • The crane remote control appears absent in Paris.
  • There are far less weapons available.
  • Intel and infos about targets are present.
  • Some intels for opportunities are available on the map (Guest list, fireworks information…).
  • There are new dialogues between NPCs in this version (notably in the car park).
  • 47 has idle animations (like touching his skull) when he’s doing nothing.

I’m still astonished by all the mechanics that IOI wanted to implement. Clearly, they wanted to make a great game for the new Hitman entry.

7 Likes

Yeah they did some changes between the two alphas we have, I wish we had access to the Sapienza from the 2015 trailer or even the very early one which had that second mansion

8 Likes

Great to see people are documenting the alpha here, very interesting stuff. Is there any chance someone could help me find the other closed Alpha?

7 Likes

Do you mean the “Paris only Alpha” version of the game?

I’m dying to find out more about the second mansion. But now, since the new alpha showed a cut third floor in hokkaido, a cut harbor in bangkok, and whatever that colorodo was, I need more

3 Likes

Yeah, the Paris only one. Can’t find it anywhere, wanted to have a look at it.