Do you like the end of Agent 47?

Janus’s bio only told us that Ort-Meyer sent 47 after Janus, but that the assassination was a failure. This in itself could be seen as a sort of retcon, seeing as 47 is noted for having a perfect record and even the comic doesn’t contradict that. Diana was never really a target and 47 did eventually get Grey killed, and Faba isn’t really a canon target, although he does canonically exist in the main timeline, so with all of that, 47 has never failed. Since we don’t really know when 47 was sent after Janus, as you say, this could mean many things, chiefly being that 47 simply didn’t know where to find Janus and so couldn’t really “go after” him, not really making that a failure and not truly messing with the timeline you mentioned. Plus, the fact that he ended up killing Janus later still keeps the continuity as it really just means that Janus was 47’s longest open contract and once he finally located him, he still took him out, so continuity is preserved.

Not to point out the obvious here; but why would Vidal mention Faba from the leak in Mendoza then? He isn’t visually seen as part of the ICA data slideshow in Chongqing sure, but that slideshow is more for our benefit as the audience to the get the point across; “Here’s a bunch of targets from the past three games we can fit into our leitmotif that 47 is leaking to the public”, rather than determining what is and isn’t canon. That’s why the devs set up that specific conversation loop in Mendoza; for the devs to actually determine what is and is not canonical. Hell “The Brothers” is another oddity (they’re actual people, but they’ve never ran) and Sophia is called Serena (which is her codename) and were likely just left in by mistake. Is that canon; it was on the slideshow. No, of course not.

That does leave two oddities; Blake Dexter with his “parallel universe gag” (which i’ve always seen as some meta joke, not an actual indication of his whereabouts) and Aleksander Kovak (who was the client for The Last Yardbirds, not a target, though it’s possible Vidal was mentioning which contracts had leaked, rather than all of them being specific targets).

2 Likes

Because she wanted to know if 47 had taken a shot at Faba. I saw it as also a meta joke.

1 Like

I mean, it isn’t framed like one, and Vidal and Diana sound just as serious when Vidal mentions the other people; Again, with the notable exception of Blake. When asking, Vidal sounds confused (and notaly sounds more like a large question she wants to ask…if that makes any sense) and latter makes it sound like a joke with a dismissive tone and jokey demeanor. By comparison, Faba doesn’t have that kind of response when Diana confirms her suspicions (both their responses are fairly generic-sounding). In fact, it sounds identical to when she asks about Richard Ekwensi (another ET and canon character).

I’ll see if I can record a video with what I mean later …after Payday 2 finished extracting itself.

1 Like

I know what you mean, but the trilogy is full of idle chatter meant to imply a certain thing happened previously in the series, but is more a wink at the audience than confirmation of canonical events. Faba’s mention is more of a “hey, remember him?” to the players than proof that 47 actually went after him.

3 Likes

I strongly disagree.

If this were idle chatter in the previous levels, sure, that would makes sense. But Mendoza is, very intentionally, designed to close a bunch of story beats and confirm events that happened in the trilogy; that’s why Vidal and Diana are talking about the hits to begin with. So no, I do not think this was simply a “hey, remember him?” moment, this was the devs confirming his (and many others) assassination happened while avoiding all the legal trouble of getting Sean Beans’ image rights.

It’s a damn shame the one plot thread that hasn’t been closed is the Portman-Kruger meet.

6 Likes

I do think that the ‘Untouchable’ mission was a nice Epiloge to send the past 6 years of Hitman off to.

It obviously does not have a comparable amount of replay value in contrast with all of the other missions in Hitman 3, but I think that this can be forgiven considering the fact that they had to develop this during the prime-time of the COVID epidemic.

Historically speaking, the final mission of the Hitman games, except for Absolution, has always been a grand shootout, but that is in some ways contradicting the focus of the World of Assassination games, which are perfectly executed hits.

So in conclusion, what I think is the following:
Could the mission have been better? Absolutely, but I think that this can be forgiven when provided with the circumstances that they had to develop the mission under.

And I strongly disagree with this line of thinking. Ignoring the main targets being present during Special Assignments is one thing; they occur once and it’s easy to imagine that they’re just happening at earlier times than the main missions. Ignoring the timeline of the ETs is one thing, as several of them occur in direct relation to the main story, which is simply not possible unless my theory on the Sarajevo Six is valid, in which case an argument can be made to their canonicity; otherwise they’re just non-canon side stories. The Undying/Returns however, is different. Not only does it disrupt 47’s perfect record status if Faba actually survived, either from just plain failing or a body double being the one killed, but it is far more difficult to ignore the setting than on other ETs and Special Assignments, due to the Undying Returns having an exact repeat of everything save the eyepatch and Diana’s briefing. So unless we’re going to argue that the Undying is canon but the Undying Returns is not, meaning 47 succeeded in killing Faba on the first try, which I’d be open to, I cannot accept that 47 was the one who went after Faba in the canon timeline. Diana is talking about ICA in general going after Faba otherwise, not her and 47 specifically.

Personally, if they had followed what was being hinted at in the first two games that Grey was actually a real enemy and planning to betray 47, either after getting rid of the Constant or working with him, I would have preferred the final level to have included both Grey and Edwards as targets, the player getting to choose which should die first, and one of the possible approaches being a three-way showdown between them all, like The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, or the end of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories.

“Untouchable” is really a good level. Although the process is small, it is very different from other maps. But I think this is just a separate chapter for memory and narration.In the final CG animation, I think this snow mountain may continue to be updated.(but not Rocky)

I don’t know if IOI will continue to expand this chapter, but I don’t think it’s possible. As for Rocky, I think it will be an “episode” to supplement 47’s career.

In a word, I really hate 7DS. The first is the unreasonable price, and the second is that it has nothing to do with 47!7DS is not like any previous upgrade contract.So I really think the first year of H3 was very bad, although it did bring some surprises.

And I’m waiting for the Freelancer.Hope it can be wonderful.

Firstly: formatting exists.

secondly; I don’t think Faba’s contract by 47 was done twice, that was likely for our benefit as the audience to kill Sean Bean twice because of the whole casting gag thing.

…um…no? Both are talking about what contracts at the ICA Diana’s name was “curiously absent” from. Hence why a bunch of unrelated names (so far…) and previous targets get mentioned. Vidal is literally guessing contracts from the leak, and Diana either confirms or denies them accordingly.

The great majority of 2016’s targets were affiliated with their targets of their respective missions, and the ones that didn’t follow that pattern, your logic for special assignments can apply to these too, and heck, even to a few of H2 and H3’s Elusive Targets.

2 Likes

What I’m thinking is, is that all or at least the vast majority of elusive targets did canonically occur, but not exactly like how they play out in the missions. Like a pseudo-historical recreation, if that makes sense. IOI is obviously not going to make a new map for every elusive target.

Relevance?

Well then, that solves the entire dilemma. If the theory that Undying is canon but Returns is not is viable, then I can adjust my position on where he fits in the canon.

If Diana’s name were attached to a contract, it wouldn’t have been in the leak in the first place. Her name couldn’t be curiously absent from anything, because there would be nothing for it to be absent from that Vidal or anyone else would know about, other than the overall leak itself.

Nobody likes walls of text.

I wasn’t saying her name was on any of the leaked contracts, just that Vidal notes this as suspicious that Diana’s name never pops up, despite formerly working for the ICA. That’s why she asks Diana as to which hits she was responsible for.

As in my opinion,Diana is the biggest victim of this series of events.My memory is not very good, even though I have seen the combing of hitman world many times.(Story of World of Assassination)
In the hitman series of comics, Diana has two images.The first one is rather understated, so I think the second one is more in line with her image in the WoA.In short, Diana’s parents were assassinated by Agent 47 when she was young. Of course, it also has a certain relationship with a company (I can’t remember clearly).After that, she stayed at her aunt’s house, and the aunt’s family was very bad to her.So she decided to take revenge by improving her ability. So she attracted the local gangs with her body, and with the gang boss - a woman, I can’t remember clearly, so I called her “X”.Diana learned a lot of martial arts from X and gradually became stronger. Later, she killed X because of the dispute.In the subsequent revenge, Diana was in trouble. At this time, Soders of ICA helped, which was her first contact with ICA. Later, she joined ICA and became a consultant.At this time, Agent 47 has escaped from the laboratory and become a freedom killer. He met Diana in the restaurant. Diana handed the Agent 47 a business card and invited him to join the ICA. Agent 47 agreed to the invitation because he wanted to kill(perhaps).Later, Diana became a full-time consultant for Agent 47. But what I don’t agree with is that Diana’s powerful ability is not reflected in WOA. She’s really just like an ordinary consultant.Even so, she never knew that her parents were killed by Agent 47. But maybe she already knows?Diana has been helping 47 since hitman: codename 47. Especially in the ending of blood money.So I think whether Diana knew about it or Edwards told her, she always trusted agent 47.I always think these two people are natural partners.

Explains the entire comic lore to a person who’s read the comics multiple times over and made a video on it.

cracks knuckles

I am actually baffled by what you mean here. Do you mean her character design?

47 and 6 killed Diana’s parents; 47 pulled the trigger, but 6 (Grey) manufactured the bomb and planted it. Diana’s parents were assassinated due to them suing Blue Seed Pharmaceuticals, one of the many Providence-connected companies.

…what?! No. That’s…no. Her extended family didn’t get much characterisation in the comic, and the one insult aimed at her was from her cousin, who is clearly just being mean (Kids are like that). They at no point abuse her, or motivate her in any way.

She snuck out of her aunt’s home to get leads on who killed her parents. Her ability to fight was one taught to her already by her parents.

Savi. While Diana learned some sneaky stuff from her, fighting wasn’t one of them. Hell, she gets into a fistfight two weeks in and very swiftly gets cured of her impatience.

She hired her own goons and convinced them with an opportunity to start a gunrunning business, and they take revenge on Savi as she tried to kill Diana, as well as a Blue Seed exec who was going to tell her information. Diana herself, like later in life, didn’t pull the trigger. Hell, she doesn’t kill the Blue Seed Exec when given a gun herself because she realises it can be used as a tool for bargaining instead.

This happens much later; six years later in fact.

She joined the ICA as a handler in training underneath Robyn Gore. It takes about a year before her first hit on Franklin Marchand; which 47 was also hired to kill in an accident by someone else.

After the Marchand hit, Diana follows him into a bar, and offers her the ICA’s card, and 47 is actually quite resistant at first. but cools down quickly and hears her out after Diana threatens to blow the bar up with a grenade. The comic is wild, yo.

He weighed the pro’s and cons. He was bred to kill, so he accepted it.

What do you mean by this?

She didn’t connect the dots because there wasn’t any dots to connect. Her goal began and ended at Blue Seed. She couldn’t take out contracts against the company willy nilly as ICA agents aren’t allowed to.

She didn’t know until the first half of Hitman 3. And while she’s clearly surprised by it, she does give 47 a minor angry speech and gets her feeling out there on the whole situation, she knows 47 had no choice in the matter. It’d be like blaming the waiter for making the food you eat at a cafe.

The end of Hitman 3 establishes that, yes, they’re gonna continue working together. That year off was 47 deciding that for himself; a luxury he’s never had before now.

So …yeah.

1 Like

Is this ending scene supposed to be the first scene we saw back in 2015 for the first Hitman trailer where 47 is running?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKv7hvO8Bm8

Maybe, they certainly shares similarities. We can only speculate, until IO addresses it. If they ever do.

I am not sure. First of all, I’d like 47 to continue to be called as such. Also I don’t want 47 to have any remorse about the contracts he fulfills. This is one reason I like his character. I would prefer he continues working for money, not for any moral reason. Basically I want to continue experiencing a little of the my “dark side”.

1 Like