Epic Games Exclusivity and how it will affect the release of Hitman 3

If I’m not mistaken, if you play a non GOG game through Galaxy, it will launch the client from where the game is from so you’ll still need Epic to be installed and to be running when playing Hitman 3. Plus, this doesn’t solve the problem with having all Hitman games on a client (have them on both GOG and Steam) but now I need to use a different client for the last game in a trilogy…

1 Like

At the very least you can play with the Legendary launcher instead of Epics.
It’s hosted on GitHub so you can see exactly how it runs.
I refuse to install Epic’s launcher but I’m still on the fence for giving them money. ESPECIALLY considering the deluxe edition is 10 USD more than it is on consoles…

Still worried about one thing. Will H2 levels be available on EGS H3, if we transfer the progression from Steam?

yes…

2 Likes

:joy: I didn’t make myself clear.

My question is, basically: is it necessary to purchase H2/some kind of “Legacy Pack” on EGS to play H2 levels in H3? Or, will the data transfer “unlock” this content in H3, cos you already have it on Steam

All from Steam

With that in mind, we are pleased to confirm that PC players will be able to carryover their current progression and unlocks from HITMAN 2 on Steam into HITMAN 3 on Epic Games Store. It will also be possible for PC players to import locations from the previous two games into HITMAN 3 on Epic Games Store.

2 Likes

GOG Galaxy is getting functionality soon that’ll bypass the entire launcher; even purchases can go though it. Probably should’ve clarified that.

but now I need to use a different client for the last game in a trilogy…

Considering the other two games are made redundant by said last game in the trilogy, I don’t see the issue. I have no plans on keeping H2 installed when H3’s legacy packs make it completely redundant, and I did the same thing when 2016 was made redundant by H2, only now it’s on a different launcher. IOI essentially treat them as DLC packs, not games in your library.

1 Like

That’s the biggest thing in my mind. When this was originally announced there were a lot of comments that I saw that indicated people were upset that H1, H2 and H3 were not all launchable from the same client. I failed then, and still fail, to see why anyone was concerned about where they were launching H1 and H2 from once H3 was installed. Wouldn’t you just play H3 exclusively and any H1 and H2 content inside of H3? Who cares, at that point, where H1 and H2 used to be installed? I will not keep H1 and H2 installed alongside H3 just for posterity… H1 is already gone and H2 will be uninstalled as soon as I’ve confirmed progress transfer into H3. AT that point it won’t matter what storefront I bought them or ran them within.

2 Likes

That’s a relief! Thanks

I said it last month and maybe it was premature back then, but now we’re 13 days away and I still find it weird that they (presumably) paid millions for H3’s exclusivity and yet you have to scroll down ~10 sections to find a single mention of the game (If you haven’t favourited it)

It’s like they only care about not allowing anyone to have it, and have no intention actually generating sales from it

2 Likes

they cycle through a lot on that front page… dont worry you will see it on there closer to release

6 Likes

Yeah, but how casual player would know about this game?
Answer: nohow.

Because he won’t be scrolling 2514+ pages to find some game he could be interested in.
Especially since the preorder is open and active this game should be somewhere more accessible and visible. So I don’t understand this too

1 Like

11 Likes

Oh my lord, look at this beautiful banner. Everybody gets on the hype train, even the steam fanboys.

Edit : love the Death Awaits button <3

5 Likes

Death awaits us all!

Yes, now I can confirm it’s there.
But it wasn’t there yesterday and before, when I logged into EGS.
Yesterday I launched the site and the client and there were no visible banners or anything about HITMAN 3.
I was hoping for some preload info or something, but neither was there.
Only my GTAV have been updated automatically

2 Likes

They were probably waiting for the start of the american work day to shuffle the list (currently 12pm in the UK, that would make it about 8am EST).

Hopefully some info comes out soon.

Everything is detailed in my freshly reuploaded very expensive review of the game here:
[Final Review & More!]Dear HITMAN™ 2 Developers

(it’s on Good/Bad Points Section).

As mentioned it was so bad it made me reconsider preordering for HITMAN™ 3.
Epic exclusivity is not the major reason i declined buying it but it’s still a factor tho.

Hello, I was emailing to explain my view on why making Hitman 3 Epic exclusive is a terrible idea. I myself have played Hitman 1 (2016), Hitman 2, and a few older games. I really think making this deal will hurt sales. There are a few important points

1. Epic launcher does not include achievements, reducing play hours drastically when there is no motive besides finishing missions once.
  2. I have heard you will be able to locate the folder for Hitman 2 and synchronize progress, however Steam does not have a feature to bring the data back to its launcher in 2022, because Epic has a terrible game saving system.
  3. You will lose a very large amount of sales due to the exclusivity to the crappy launcher everyone hates.
  4. You will lose the internet’s respect.
  5. The Linux operating system is growing popularity, and while Steam works fine, Epic Launcher does not. It takes a very long time to load and launching games rarely works.

It is not too late to turn back. You have 8 days to reconsider your choice and cancel the contract. If you really would like to follow through, at least shorten the availability to Steam. IOI, I will leave you to prepare.

1 Like
  1. HITMAN 3 will have achievements on the Epic games launcher.
  2. Progress isn’t synced from a folder, it is online (presumably via your IOI account).
  3. It’s a fine launcher, and only a few clicks from steam. What I will do is add a “non-steam game” to Steam so I can launch it through steam. I’m sure they’ve done calculations and decided that exclusivity was a better deal for them even if you include lost sales. They also receive a larger cut of sales from Epic than they would from Steam.
  4. Don’t know what the hivemind internet thinks, but I’m really happy with what IOI has done for Hitman over the past four-five years. That’s enough for me to respect them.
  5. Can’t speak to Linux, but its gaming community is somewhat limited, to the extent that support is rare already.

I wish it weren’t exclusive to Epic, but given that my library on there is already significant, add on the free games every week, it’s becoming a better place to play games than it used to be. IOI will not cancel their deal with Epic, those kinds of deals are typically set in stone. Whatever you decide on, I hope it brings you enjoyment, whether it’s on launch day or a year from now on Steam.

4 Likes