Epic Games Exclusivity and how it will affect the release of Hitman 3

It’s been confirmed for a while that Hitman 3 will have achievements on EGS. I will admit though not every game has achievements, so it’s partially due to a communication problem that not everyone will know about it.

Weirdly enough I think this is because they share two file asset parts. I could be wrong though but it’s not as consistent to find the game directory as one may think.

Maybe by community design rather, but surely not the internet. I think you’re overreacting on that part.

I’m not sure entirely on this front, but what I will say is it’s been consistent with both modding and community aspects that people will either not play the game further or issue a refund on it. I believe this is because nobody has the time or the energy to pursue and request change to something.

Lastly, I don’t believe there are any plans for IOI to reconsider dropping their contract with EGS. It seems as though some people are pissed that a poorly optimised launcher with bad security features can’t be the bearer of some because that’s just how it is with most people in the community. One mans moral decay of video games is another’s pristine collection of possessions, and yet all I ever see out of it is how bad of a launcher is because they don’t want to play the game for a year. Maybe I’m just being cynical, but that’s just how it is for both worlds sadly.

2 Likes

You’re somehow right. However…

Nah dude, not gonna happen :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
It’s done already…

13 Likes

You will lose the internet’s respect.

The most reddit thing i’ve read today xdddddd

15 Likes

Hitman 3 has achievements on EGS, and some games on EGS Have achievements.

I have heard you will be able to locate the folder for Hitman 2 and synchronize progress, however Steam does not have a feature to bring the data back to its launcher in 2022, because Epic has a terrible game saving system.

…um, what? No, that’s not how any of that works. The progress transfer happens via the cloud with an IOI account. And Epic’s “saving system” is no different to Steams’. It uploads the saves to its servers, and downloads upon request/ when you need them. They are no different, so I’m unsure how you think it’s worse.

Judging by their recent talks of compression on PCGAMER, this isn’t gonna be possible as they’ve gone into the files to lower the filesize. Its now 70GB instead of 150GB, so that’s a very good tradeoff IMO.

You will lose a very large amount of sales due to the exclusivity to the crappy launcher everyone hates.

Only time will tell. We cannot judge at this stage.

You will lose the internet’s respect.

Um…what?

The Linux operating system is growing popularity, and while Steam works fine, Epic Launcher does not. It takes a very long time to load and launching games rarely works.

I say this as a person who Dual-boots Linux Mint and Windows 10; EGS works fine under Lutris, and I’ve had comparable performance to that of Windows. Really no clue where you’re getting at man. As for game launching, that’s because Lutris needs to install other pre-requisites for games to run. This is like complaining Proton doesn’t work because the VKD3D version it needs isn’t packaged in, and then blaming valve for something they don’t control.

It is not too late to turn back. You have 8 days to reconsider your choice and cancel the contract.

Cancelling contracts is expensive, and i’m pretty sure they would’ve done long ago if they’d listened to the backlash.

If you really would like to follow through, at least shorten the availability to Steam.

Again, contracts have stuff like this set in stone. They can’t change it without paying Epic.

IOI, I will leave you to prepare.

Funny joke, bad post.

What do you mean by this?

I was mostly reconciling that this is a myth due to that there’s not enough evidence to support this theory, yet everyone who is against EGS is under this impression. So likewise other myths that are amongst it, I just used this as an example.

Ah, Ok, clearly I misread it.

Why would they do that? The contract was signed long ago - they would have to pay a penalty at this point.

Plus IO has said that deals like the one with EGS are why they were able to open the Malmo studio, get the James Bond IP and be able to self-publish that game when it releases.

Even if they could go back, they wouldn’t.

2 Likes

Well, with all the recent news I’m curious, how many people will make a refund of HITMAN 3. Or won’t buy it all from Epic.
If there will be a significant amount of refunds, it will surely affect the HITMAN 3 player base with all the concequences.

I would like to make a poll on that case, so…

Will you refund HITMAN 3 if you already preordered it?

• Yes
  • No
  • I doubt
  • Haven’t decided yet

0 voters

If you didn’t preorder it, will you buy it post launch?

• Yes
  • No
  • I doubt
  • Haven’t decided yet
  • Will buy it on Steam

0 voters

should’ve added an option for console players

This thread is not about consoles

1 Like

people who don’t play on pc can still participate, can’t they?

Of course, but if they don’t care about PC it will be pointless, and their answer is preferably “no”, because they won’t buy the game for PC

1 Like

Completely irrelevant to the question asked.

1 Like

why do you have to do this? your remark doesn’t add anything to the already concluded conversation.

and yet there was no question asked in the message i was replying to. if you are referring to the inital poll then it indeed is relevant: if you’re a pc player who’s getting fucked but still decides to preorder in egs then that’s not a decision i’d personally respect. if you are a console player then it seem to me that there is no reason to cancel your preorder because you’re not screwed anyhow

lol

i’m glad i’m not hyped for this game anymore. looking forward to buying it when it gets a very big steam discount a few years from now. thanks IOI!

4 Likes

Won’t buy it and I heavily criticize any dodgy exclusivity deal and do not buy the game. Not going to change that stance for any game. That means I won’t buy it on Steam or anything else if it ever gets there.

Do I expect that enough others share my view to affect sales? Not even remotely.

Will drop this here. I was polishing off Cyberpunk so only just fired up Hitman 3 PC today + ran the progress carry over. Leaving it a few days meant I avoided the queues so the process was quick and smooth for me. Hitman 3 looks amazing on PC. Great to see EGS dinging all my H1 and H2 achievements upon running the game for the first time. I’m not surprised to see IOI present the trilogy as a single package so well but it’s still a pleasure to see.

Cheers IOI and congrats on all the critical acclaim H3 is receiving.

6 Likes

I couldn’t care less about this. I already use a bunch of stores, so using one more didn’t even make me flinch for a second. Did people not play Mass Effect 2 back in the day because it was only on Origin? Maybe I’m weird but the thought of that barely crossed my mind.

Granted I don’t play multiplayer games and therefore don’t use Steam’s community features, which I know many do. Still… you can launch any game through Steam if you want, and get most of those benefits.

Anyway… I assume IOI made what they thought was the best financial decision and I hope it works out for them.

2 Likes

In retrospect, the only thing I’m bummed about is not seamlessly, and immediately, being able to do H2 levels in HIII. Once that’s fixed, it’ll be the definitive experience, and I don’t care that it’s on Epic.

5 Likes