First Thread on HMF

The editing period grace time is 5 minutes
However there is a 100 character limit for new members and a 400 character limit for established members - basically to ensure it’s not used to troll via posting an inflammatory manifesto then edited to something short and harmless.

2 Likes

You’re saying that if my post shorter than 400 chars, while editing it even within those 5 minutes, the edit marker will still appear?
Because sometimes that marker shows up even if to edit a post after few seconds of posting it

If you are level 0 or level 1, which lots of people currently are, and you change more than 100 characters it will always show as edited.
If you are level 2 or above, then this limit goes up to 400 characters.

2 Likes

Thank you for clarification

Was it like this in the old forum? I thought it was regardless how many characters you used there was a 4 minute grace period. And naturally I assumed it was an untouched setting since it’s a new forum and all.

Intimately I can understand this change, but for a lot of times it was a convenience to not have the edit marker if you wanted any last minute changes after posting.

Hard to say without going through all the Discourse change logs - the software is constantly being patched and generally I always update without interrogating simply because not updating in a timely manner has caused problems in the past.

Some are also problems, like the “auto dark mode detection” that is in theory a great feature but ultimately also requires you heavily limit your design because it only lets you update a handful of colors (that can’t use any feature like opacity etc)

1 Like

Is it really necessary to copy external images into forum database?
I mean what the sense of it when image is displayed normally from a different website?
It only loads the server’s space and makes heavier the database itself.

Only purpose of this function I see is making images always available even if external website is down or the source image is deleted, but does it makes really profit in sense of forum/database stability and optmization?

And the other thing regarding images.
I believe the forum doesn’t delete the lost attachments. I mean the images that have been uploaded during composing a reply, but been either deleted or replaced while composing or shortly after.
And that image won’t be used ever again because of a unique id, but still is stored on the server.
And if the server has billions of this kind of lost attachments, it also takes a sigificant amount of space and affects stability

This way we staff can be sure to check misuse of posting images, as deleting an image from a post or from an external server still makes us able to see what abusers try to hide.

Or you as well if you check the edit history of a post.

The system should automatically delete unused images after some time.

1 Like

thanks, I’ve done it :grin:

1 Like

Just caught a first ever 502 error on this new forum.
Gone pretty quickly after instantly refreshing a page (with browser button, not forum’s one).
Just decided to get it known

2 Likes

Another 502 (and 521 while posting this).
Lasted for a few minutes

1 Like

That was the software getting some significant updates - required taking the server offline for a bit to have that particular software updated, and a reboot so security patches could apply properly.

1 Like

Ok. I’m reporting just in case

Hello again fellow 47’s.

I never seem to learn, just like the last time HMF was updated, I noticed I couldn’t log in and had a mini heart attack, lol. :man_facepalming:t2:

I wonder if there’s an “Old Forum” archive like last time?

2 Likes

Now it’s available only here:

3 Likes