Freelancer - Pre-Release Discussion

in the reveal trailer we saw a burner phone and oil can for sale from the smugglers so I would imagine so

And thatā€™s when, again?

(Worth a shot, right? :joy:)

10 Likes

I can share an unmistakable answer: some time in a future :slight_smile:

1 Like

thank you travis im looking forward answer question on the freelancer mode

I wonder if the M symbol describing the amount of the payout for the campaigns that we see on the dossiers means the amount rather than the currency. 3M = 3 million, 20M = 20 million, and such.

It makes sense, when one considers how the ICA worked and what the earlier games say about 47ā€™s charging fee in the early 2000s. Supplemental material indicates that 47 charged a low-end fee of $100K, and a high-end fee of $300K, with increases depending on the difficulty; it was stated that his highest in the earlier games was the cult leader in H2:SA at $600K, an industry record high. Assuming other gamma-level hitmen employed by ICA charged similar fees, that means for ICA to be as profitable as it was, the actual amounts the clients paid per contract had to be in the millions, with them sending the appropriate fee to their agents, handlers, and any other vendors involved in a contract, the appropriate amount to the overall ICA budget for R&D and supplies and whatnot, and the upper management pocketing the rest.

So with Freelancer having no network as a go-between for 47 and his clients, unless Diana set up some small middle-man arrangement while they get this operation going, 47 and Diana would realistically be collecting the entire contract and pocketing millions for themselves while putting the rest toward whatever their operational goal may be (reviving ICA, please). So maybe thatā€™s what the Ms are all about.

1 Like

The M has a line or two lines through it kinda like the S, E, L, and Y of major world currencies. $ā‚¬Ā£Ā„ so that makes me think itā€™s a fictitious currency of some sort.

2 Likes

Possibly Merces, the currency present in some old concept arts.

3 Likes

I considered that, and thatā€™s probably what itā€™s going to be called to make it more interesting, but Iā€™m talking about what it represents. I mean, 47ā€™s gonna take out an entire organization, and heā€™s only going to be paid 8 Merces? That only makes sense if a ā€œMerce,ā€ in this context, represents a set amount of an existing currency. How much exactly are Merces, or whatever they want the M to be called? My bet is that each represents a total of $1 million in US currency, although it could also be in Euros. Kind of like how a ā€œgrandā€ is a slang term for one thousand dollars, but it doesnā€™t have an actual symbol. Thereā€™s no G symbol for a grand, but Iā€™m guessing IO is using the M symbol to represent an amount, and is presenting it as a currency in-and-of itself for the sake of in-game simplicity.

3 Likes

It might not necessarily represent a million, but I do think there is a chance that they made it intentionally confusing to make it feel like a big amount without setting the exact value of the currency.

5 Likes

Good enough for me. I just picked a million for the sake of practicality.

3 Likes

If you look at a movie universe like the John Wick universe, they have these coins that are worth far more than a wad of cash might. I donā€™t know what the value of one of those John Wick coins is, but itā€™s possible that a ā€œmercesā€ could be equivalent to some other amount of real-world currency, or it could just be a sort of barter and exchange chit type of currency where a given job is worth 2 or 4 or 10 of these chits.

3 Likes

Inconsistent :laughing:

2 Likes

The coins in the Wickverse are more about how many favors or services youā€™re owed for your work within the organization. They still use traditional money, hence the bounties; theyā€™re not offering millions in the coins, although those who collect the bounty money probably collect a lot of coins for their service as well. Since all the big organizations in the Hitman universe are now defunct at the end of WoA, itā€™s unlikely that the M functions in the same manner.

3 Likes

Merces, the next big bitcoin currency for your world class assassins :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Hmm, a cryptocurrency. Iā€™ll admit, I hadnā€™t considered that, because I keep forgetting that cryptocurrency is a thing. Will they either implement that concept fully on a global scale or let it die already? Iā€™m tired of the yo-yo effect of it being big and then going away and then right back again. But yeah, for the game, it could be a crypto.

2 Likes

The ā€œMā€ makes me think about the currency used in Monopoly Junior :sweat_smile:

Playing Monopoly with my godson wonā€™t be the same anymoreā€¦ :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Actually, @Travis_IOI, I do have one question about Freelancer that you might be able to answer right now: is Freelancerā€™s release still on schedule, or is there any reason, at this moment, to believe that it may be delayed?

I imagine Freelancer will have more varied weapons and gadgets that stay locked to Freelancer.

Allowing more ā€œoverpoweredā€ things, like the Electrocution Phone, but having their limited time use also tied to a cost provides a gameplay balance: easier elimination but higher price tag.

Not that we all wouldnā€™t love every gadget for every mode, but I get that idea. Even I abused the Electrocution Phone at the end run of H2 ETs, lol.

1 Like

Merces

16 Likes

Clearly those are Murillo-bucks, as the general tried to invent his own currency during his rise to power.

7 Likes