Freelancer - Pre-Release Discussion

Honestly, I think that if they do it right, a defense mechanic could work. I remember at the end of Hitman 2 Silent Assassin a huge group of the bad guys showed up at the church and you had to eliminate them, but you had access to all the weapons that you collected throughout the game. I could see something similar happening in Freelancer and would be a pretty cool callback, although if it happens a lot, I could see it getting tedious. I would completely understand if they didn’t do this at all based off the reception of wrath, though.

2 Likes

Defending a position is the second worst game mechanic, in my opinion. I like to be the aggressor, not the defender.

7 Likes

now that i would love

Indeed. We’re assassins, not a security service.

2 Likes

I think the mechanic could have some mileage if it occurs as a result of pulling off a messy hit where you killed a bunch of NPCs with witnesses, camera footage and dumped weapons/tools all over the place.

Still, the defence should be an opt-in; if you don’t want to do it, you don’t have to, but if you do, you can earn some rewards from successfully defending which then lessens the sting of what you lost while attempting the hit.

1 Like

And what if you should lose during this raid?

Huh? We’re speculating. What do you think should happen?

My vote would be on a sliding scale of consequence; pick your difficulty and the risk/reward corresponds to it.

1 Like

I can’t imagine 47 not abandoning his safehouse if anyone figures out its location, to be honest.

This is why I DON’T think we’ll have any raids. Simply due to the possibility of losing. “What would happen?” is an excellent question. And one I can’t reasonably think of any sensible answer for.

Unless you’d lose everything and have to start all over again from scratch. :grimacing:

Edit: Then again, I suppose a ‘Respawn’ mechanic wouldn’t be out of the question. But I seriously don’t see such a thing happening in (a) Hitman (game).

Edit2: Unless it’d be a preplanned / scripted event. You’d die and restart from the beginning of (or just before) the raid. ‘Agent Down’ gives you a ‘Retry’ option.

I was thinking that could be a fitting ending for the campaign (if Freelancer is not meant to be endless anyway) - after suffering heavy losses the bad guys track down 47 and send a team to his safehouse. You as a player kill them and escape or escape right away, and the ending is 47 calling Diana “We’ve got a job to do”. Because 47 is never done, he will never run out of work, and whatever home he may have is always temporary.

A neat idea, but I don’t think Freelancer is meant to be presented like a story campaign. I don’t think it has an “ending” like the main campaign does. For instance, Contracts and Arcade and Sniper modes don’t have an ending; you just stop playing them when you don’t feel like playing anymore. I believe that’s how Freelancer itself will be, with each of the playable campaigns within Freelancer having endings, but those will just be killing the last target and getting paid, going back to the safehouse to rest, and then choosing another campaign.

1 Like

they have stars below the names of the campaigns (difficulty representative), i wonder how it would work

1 Like

2 hours until we get a new Freelancer trailer !

(Pure speculation )

4 Likes

What?:thinking::thinking::thinking:
20 characters

There’s a Sony State of Play happening in 10 minutes, and historicaly HITMAN marketing stuff has appeared at Sony shows. Again just speculation but if they have a trailer on it it would explain why he don’t have a concrete release date just yet.

5 Likes

Sadly no Hitman news on State of Play. Wish there were some.

2 Likes

Post must be atleast 20 characters

15 Likes

16 Likes

Still predicting Freelancer will be free. There’s been zero indication that it’s being treated as “DLC” or as Paid content. All indications so far have been that it will just be an extra game mode provided as part of their Year 2 content and will be no-cost. We’ll see in a few weeks though, hopefully.

9 Likes

I mean, it’s literally called FREElancer. How could that be paid?

I think that after we were overcharged on rather underwhelming DLC’s full of escalations (and few decent items), IO is a bit ashamed about their actions (and they see that it really made many people mad so they don’t want to lose their kinda small fanbase), so they will release atleast part of it as free. Maybe there will be some extra unique contracts that unlock very nice rewards, that MAY require some payment… but I think base of it will be free.

9 Likes