Game News Thread

All that talk about TVs and always online (right after the disaster that was SimCity 2013 along with some internet drama from a then Microsoft employee Adam Orth) made people to shift their views and wallets over to Sony.

Crazy how this was 9 years ago, I remember like it was yesterday. :grin:

7 Likes

4 Likes

“If you want to play a single player game offline, you won’t need any authentication”

IOI: Let me introduce my new game.

7 Likes

This is the exact moment i knew i had to go with Sony. I had the original xbox and the 360, i still own one and think its one of the best consoles ever, but Microsoft fucked it up so much, even the name “Xbox one” pisses me off. Why one? Its the third, not the first. But they apparently thought its a good thing to make the names of their consoles as confusing as possible, because they keep doing it.

6 Likes

IO during the Microsoft presentations

Even now I still have to double check the name of the current Xbox :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

I love the smug freakin face on the Sony guy. The marketing team must have had so much fun whipping up that 4-slide rebuttal after Xbox’s conference.

It’s insane what Microsoft somehow thought they could get away with and people wouldn’t take issue with, it was literally physical console DRM.

5 Likes

Kinda make’s you think where would we be today if Microsoft’s always-online plan would have stayed. :grimacing:

Sony wiped out the smile off of Microsoft’s face, same as Colossal Order did to EA when they released Cities: Skylines :muscle:

8 Likes

Although not always proportionate or constructive, fortunately most Xbox fans are both vocal and brutal about what they do like and don’t like. If Microsoft do something bad, their own fan base will turn on them and this is what happened at the Xbox One launch. More recently, consider the first reveal of Halo Infinite gameplay. We’ve got a significantly better game today because of that response and as criticisms continued upon launch, the game has continued to get better and better.

As @EvilGeniusRo said, imagine what the gaming world would have looked like today if Xbox fans hadn’t kicked up a stink at the time and we all just accepted Microsoft’s vision of gaming at that time. In a strange way, it’s a good thing that the Xbox One console generation didn’t succeed as it’s been a sober warning to all parties. At the end of day, if you want people coming back you need to treat them well.

This was because their vision at its launch in 2013 was to create a console that would be the go-to device for all your multimedia requirements in the living room. That is, the “One” thing you’ll ever need. Although the first smart TVs appeared around 2007, it wasn’t until around 2013 that they began to become popular. By 2015, there was an expectation that your new TV would be a smart TV. Microsoft had been developing their Xbox One console for years before it’s launch in 2013 and they hadn’t anticipated the rising success of smart TVs. By the time the Xbox One launched it was too late to change years of promotion and marketing. They also missed the point that not everyone plays games in the living room.

5 Likes

Why bother developing official patches? - Godd

2 Likes

Wouldn’t it be amazing if it had no bugs or glitches at launch? Like these modders put in all that effort but there is near nothing to actually be fixed.

I think that would be hysterical.

3 Likes
1 Like

it would also be a first for bethesda to ship an actual finished game

1 Like

It would be beyond hysterical. Also nobody would believe the game was actually made by Bethesda lol.

3 Likes
3 Likes

The showcase is set for 9 September at 1pm PT/4pm ET/9pm BST. Not a lot is known as this stage: how long it will be or what games we can expect to see. The only ones we can be sure about are Disney Dreamlight Valley and Marvel’s Midnight Suns, which has sadly been delayed until March 2023 at the earliest now.

As I’m not aware if Disney Dreamlight Valley has been mentioned in this thread, here’s a gameplay video:

3 Likes

Wow. them making a whole stream block for games during D23 is big news.

I wonder if we might be able to expect Insomniac’s Wolverine or Spider-Man 2 to make an appearance. Either of those big-budget things would surely make a huge splash in the showcase, let alone both (if progress is going well on production for both).

2 Likes
4 Likes

PC gamers with PC Game Pass might have a reason to get excited. They recently changed their profile picture on Twitter. Death Stranding incoming?

They responded with, “sometimes we just like a good landscape picture”
Source

3 Likes

4 Likes

TABS getting ported to Switch is cool, can’t wait for IO’s 007 game and Splatoon 3 is hype (even if 1 of the new idols has got a forehead as large as Hector Delgado).

1 Like