Game News Thread

Personal bias is common when it comes to game reviews. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

You can still point out that a feature is not for everyone especially if it isn’t a normativity. You don’t or shouldn’t get praise for being outside the norm conceptually, Absolution for example operates outside of Hitman’s norms and it also has the disguise system, both the system and the game can gargle my fucking balls. You should get praise when you defy the norm well and if there are moments where a unique mechanic works and times when it doesn’t then it should be pointed out as a negative.

No review is ever going to be free from bias and I don’t think a review should be completely free from bias since I think it can be a hallmark that I am reading a genuine opinion by a human being with a personality. A review without biases would simply be tantamount to an advertising pitch and it wouldn’t contain anything constructive, it would merely say that there are problems but no real substantial argument to back it up.

In short what I am trying to say is that Absolution just really fucking sucks and reviewing stuff is actually incredibly fucking hard if you want to do it right.

1 Like

I agree with this, but it’s not the case with WOA. The only reason the disguises were pointed out as a negative was soley because “I don’t like it”.

These people are suppose to be professional gaming journalist, aren’t they? It’s a job they’re getting paid for so they should absolutely be held to a higher standred. And even though I believe that, I already know what should be and what is are two different things.

And constructive critisim is always a good thing IMO, but it’s hard to find anything constructive about thier complaint. Overall I think your argument is valid, but the problem is that it’s not IGN’s argument. If they said what you said in thier reviews, they’d have much more creditbility.

1 Like

Allegedly but like I said it is alright to have a bias, the best benchmark for quality is when something can overcome a bias. I am biased against Rogue-likes yet Hades is one of my favourite games simply because I find it offers more that appeals to me than any other game of its type.

Biases are just something people have, they will always have them and it will always find some way to manifest itself in review and criticism even at the most professional level and with the most rigorous standards, bias is simply human nature to me and so long as it is either substantiated by well rationed, good faith arguments or evenly tempered then I can tolerate it. I know for a fact that bias has been the least of IGN’s problems given the Dead Cells review.

I mean I would try and see what is actually written down but I am simply not going onto IGN to look for a review for an seven (no fucking way) year old game. I moved to Eurogamer for a reason, the site is clunky and the commenters are fucking stupider than rocks. Like holy shit are they feral, if they were any more feral I would call council rangers down on them.

What I am trying to say is that it is fucking disgusting that EB Games caused Game Informer Australia to stop publication, like that was the only reason I went to EB games.

3 Likes

Interesting stuff. Baldur’s Gate 3 sounds like a good game, I’m definetly thinking of picking it up at some point.

1 Like

Alan Wake 2 got delayed to October 27th.

7 Likes

When “This story is a Monster” is afraid of the other non-monster games lmaooo

“October is an amazing month for game launches and we hope this date shift gives more space for everyone to enjoy their favorite games,” Remedy Entertainment said in the announcement. “We can’t wait to show you what everyone’s favorite novelist is up to in the Dark Place [at Gamescom 2023] next week. Thanks for your patience!”

At least this gives a 7-day gap between Spider-Man 2 and AW, instead of the 3 days like before…

I pray to god that Helldivers 2 isn’t announced for October 26th – Liberty Day.

9 Likes

RDR1 has released for Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4/5 with generally favorable reviews. Rockstar has given early review codes for the game also.

One key thing to take away is that the group who handled the port did a phenomenal job porting the game to Nintendo Switch with it being a generally improved experience compared to the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions.

While the changes are very sparse a few take always is the smooth 30 FPS and the game running at the systems native resolution.

One thing I’m glad to be correct about is the shadows which have been improved and are more defined. While they’re more harsher and aren’t smooth to give them a more realistic look I think the difference is better compared to the BC Version.

Textures remain the same which is jarring in some areas since they have improved button prompts against old 720P Textures. This is very apparent in the games UI and Word Map.

Lastly, while pricing is a big point of contention for this title I want to stress that options exist if you plan on revisiting this game.

While the Xbox BC Version is cheaper and feature complete with it running at 4K 30 it uses the 360’s Code by extension uses the 2x Anti Aliasing and various issues such as various flickering with lighting and jagged shadows.

For this re release I’d recommend waiting for a Sale and if you have the choice between Switch and PlayStation I’d opt for the Switch version personally since it’s the only way to play the game on the go legally without using dubious methods to get the game running on a Steam Deck.

9 Likes

End of an era. Xbox 360 Storefronts will be closing shop on July 24th 2024. (This includes the website)

It’s unclear how this will effect purchasing DLC via BC through Xbox One/Series storefronts, but be weary if you have any intentions of purchasing anything do so before said date.

Note that Content can still be Redownloaded, but you can’t purchase anything new.

3 Likes

Charles Martinet is retiring as the voice of Mario, will only be promoting Nintendo events/games and interacting with fans in the future…

It is still unconfirmed if the “new” Mario clips in SMB Wonder are Martinet or not (I am still 80% sure it’s him, one last time)

9 Likes
5 Likes
2 Likes

Gamescom Opening Night Live happened earlier today. I’ll catch up on the announcements later
(Apparently there’s already ANOTHER stage-invader stunt with Geoff. Skip to 59mins into this, according to comments)

They need better security, how did this happen again at another of Geoff’s shows

5 Likes

I did not know turning RTX on changes the models and textures of the game world… :smirk:

5 Likes

Hitman: Codename 47 RTX when, @MrOchoa ?

6 Likes

Ah so it is another tech they decided to give the same name than another of their tech. Should have known. :joy:

However I kinda doubt some details there. “Guessing” how a high-res texture or model should look like surely is doable for an AI, but adding details that were not there in the first place?

The rivets on the ring, the most inner vines between the head and the looped vines, adding engravings in one part of the base while entirely changing the pattern in other parts?

Someone tried this REMIX tool? I bet you at least have to do manual touches to do these things.

3 Likes

The Skyrim part at the beginning was just a showcase of standard graphical mods. The Morrowind part however is where it shows everything made by AI.

This video explains it better :slight_smile:

3 Likes
5 Likes

Sony’s next “handheld” is the Playstation Portal, essentially a glorified Remote Streaming device to pair with your PS5.

8-inch LCD 1080p screen, Bluetooth and 3.5mm headphone support. Seems it can only stream games from your PS5 to the device. 199$ Launch Price.
(This feels like another series of unfortunate design decisions, like the Vita’s demise :grimacing:)

7 Likes

Yeah that thing should be $99 at most, but there’s no way that would happen. It’d probably be a loss at that price anyway.

The only people who will buy this are folks with too much money to begin with. I get that the device has its very situational usage, but I don’t see how this thing offers anything that you can’t already get elsewhere (i.e. handheld streaming).

5 Likes