Game News Thread

Also, like… streaming games sucks! Unless you’re playing something narrative or turn-based, the half second of latency makes a big difference. I’ve tried streaming Hitman to both my browser via Gamepass Cloud and to my Deck via the same and also PS Remote Play, and I feel like a novice who can’t aim and shoot for shit.

How actually viable is it to stream Spider-Man, or God of War, or Ratchet and Clank? It seems like it’d be frustrating as hell.

2 Likes
2 Likes

According to the Czech Gamescom preview, the Q1 2024 release is probably too optimistic, as the game (at least in the state in which it was presented) is still in too much of a shabby technical state (notably bad texture loading, wonky collision, and broken AI). Nevertheless, the atmosphere and overall feel is excellent.

3 Likes

Except the VO. Sounds so generic in English. Definitely gonna switch to native voice acting with subtitles on :grin:

3 Likes

I haven´t watched it tbh. Keeping myself spoiler-free on this one :grin:

2 Likes

While Starfield is going to suck up all the oxygen in the room, No Man’s Sky just keeps getting better update after update. How long is it going to take Starfield to be this good?

7 Likes

It all depends on how broken the game is at launch and if the good parts surpass the negatives.

Now I’m actually curious of how Starfield will affect NMS if it ends up a big hit similar to Skyrim :thinking:

4 Likes

Who cares about Starfield when they just announced Broken Sword 6 AND a Remaster of the original Game!!

I’m jizzing in my pants here, Revolution Software does, what IO’nt! Fuck yeah, way to go.

8 Likes
3 Likes

Just weeks after releasing Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew, Mimimi Games, makers of Desperados 3 and Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun, is shutting down.

Shadow Gambit will continue to receive patches and dlc will be released later this year.

8 Likes

Sad news for people who enjoy being scared on consoles

5 Likes

Came here to post this. Sad news! They made GREAT games (that fans of Hitman would love, despite the obvious genre/gameplay differences). Desperados 3 was my jam. I was going to wait a while before picking up Shadow Gambit (who’s got the time??) but maybe I’ll buy a copy to sit atop my backlog…

Edit: Also, I support anyone and everyone prioritizing their mental and physical health.

6 Likes

Their games were very well made. It’s sad we will never see another. Microsoft should buy the studio.

4 Likes

This is sad news indeed… I just played through Aiko´s Choice and Desperados III over the past week, and was (well, am) planning on picking up Shadow Gambit later this year. It´s a shame particularly since Shadow Gambit seems to have made quite the leap in this sub-genre in terms of the sandboxiness and gameplay, and it would´ve been great to see what they could do in the future (also, I really wanted them to get contracted for a new Commandos game).

Would be nice if the rest of the team could carry on that legacy somehow. That being said, I respect their decision and wish them nothing but the best (not to mention I prefer to see them close down on their own terms rather than out of bankruptcy or someone else’s decision).

5 Likes

11 Likes

This is what happens when you try to reinvent your franchise to appeal to everyone while damning your fanbase in the process.

Also rip SR2 PC Patch.

edit:

I want to add SR in terms of numbers sold well, but it didn’t break records. The reason behind the studio closure/layoffs is because Embracer Groups deal with Saudi Arabia fell through and they had to cut corners in places.

Volition obviously was one of these things, I’m personally glad this is happening simply cause Volition hasn’t pumped out a relatively “good game” since Saints Row 4 and have had miss after miss since then.

I think the Saints Row IP will do well under a new Studio if the right vision is there. I am a Saints Row 2 Elitist at heart and while Gameplay hasn’t aged the best it’s the most complex the series as gotten in terms of scope with everything that followed being simplified and made more mainstream.

Hopefully the series will get another reboot and we get something more akin to the first two games. Gangs duking it out in a city for control and power.

6 Likes

I believe the IP remains with Deep Silver

Always smart to insult your hardcore fan base and potential buyers
1693500489130999

4 Likes

Embracer owns the IP. Their best course of action is licensing it out to the right people. With a good vision.

2 Likes

Damn kind of sucks for Volition, they shouldn’t have to pay for Embracer’s stupid mistakes and unsustainable business model,. Embracer clearly used the reception of Saint’s Row as a smokescreen to give Volition the axe over anyone else when their House of Saud funding fell through. They go down in a hail of crashing morons bleating “Get Woke Go broke” and all the Embracer employees and other developers get busy learning Chinese to help seek out more seed capital while counting the money they think they gained sacking people.

Ironic for all of the complaints Gamers had about the game and for all of their whining that they felt Volition had it out for them as fans, Volition showed a lot of support for the reboot including two single player DLCs and patching or at least more support than the game probably deserved. Compare that to their parent game who jut axed half of their car lost to push their video game subscription service…

3 Likes

It’s not like they had a choice in the matter, say that they won’t support the game any further, just like that when the publisher has them in their crosshair for failing to deliver and mucking an IP.

Also, from what I heard, Gearbox got hit by layoffs too.
https://gameishard.gg/news/report-embracer-has-made-layoffs-at-gearbox-publishing/73314/

2 Likes