Game News Thread

I would say Volition didn’t ask to be laid off on the whole either but either way there is always a choice, there have been plenty of games that have been dropped like a stone after flopping. I wouldn’t say they mucked it up either since I remember the game selling better than expected, unfortunately unless you are number one on Steam all the time it isn’t enough for the publishers or the shareholders.

Also while consistent verbal attacks on people doing their jobs is very poor behaviour all around though “terrorist behaviour” is not how I would call it though I can see a very loose connection between the two especially since that community manager mentioned the company getting death threats when I was breezing through the video also that video doesn’t show the tweets from before Steph makes the incendiary tweet either so I doubt this Vera lady is being honest in her framing.

Also not liking a game’s tone is no excuse to mock the newly unemployed either and while I wouldn’t call it “terrorist behaviour” either it is anti-social as fuck and it definitely wouldn’t be how you would like to be treated either.

Another bummer unless Randy Pitchford is a name in there in which case then it is good.

4 Likes

“I love a good joke. I mean for fucks sake I own the Duke Nukem franchise.”

2 Likes

He was also one of the loudest voices clamouring for its continuing development but hey they said you had to always bet on Duke not that you would win big with him.

2 Likes

Maybe just focus the one you have been working on for nearly a decade now!

5 Likes

The original Beyond Good & Evil is genuinely a great game, regardless of how much its vaporware sequel has tarnished the brand. If this materialises, and it’s a good port, I highly recommend it to everyone.

2 Likes

That fucking sucks man. I had fun with SR3, and was hoping that new SR reboot would be good. Unfortunately, it was not and it anhilated their fanbase. And worst thing is, it was not even mainly their fault. According to Flippy, who knew them closely, the main reason why was it now about friendship bullshit and being gangster is because Deep Silver insisted it won’t sell. Fuck you, DS.

3 Likes

Did Deep Silver also insisted in adding all the jank and broken stuff? Not to mention that I do believe that you can make a SR game with friendship, hugging and all that silly stuff and not be cringe if the writting and mission design is decent.

DS may have pointed them in the wrong direction but at the end of the day, Volition is the one that developed the game.

3 Likes

But the main reason I see people complain on Twitter is because of this, rather than issues like awful combat and bugs. Sure, there are fairer reviews like Flippy’s but every other youtuber insists on mentioning how woke it is.

2 Likes

Change the Youtubers you go for game reviews with more mature ones that point actual issues with the game they review :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

My personal feelings on the Reboot is simply it doesn’t feel like Saints Row and you can tell that’s the case due to the fact that elements of AoM are still apparent in them.

Combat and Overall Gameplay never felt right.

Side-Diversions became a shell of their former self. For example review bombing survival just isn’t fun compared to stuff in the past like Zombie Uprising and FUZZ (even if FUZZ would never be made today cause of the discussion regarding Police Procedures).

It’s also a sense of Reward for the stuff you do. Saints Row 2 encouraged the player to do just about everything the game had to offer with the game cause you could unlock various Passive Abilities such as Shop Discounts, Improved Health Regen, Unlimited Ammo, Fire/Bullet Resistance, Unlimited Sprint, and a series of Cars and Outfits. Saints Row 3/4 streamlined this with the Respect Upgrade System which IMO isn’t rewarding but that’s just me.

Story

Saints Row 1 and 2 are two perfectly compatible stories that compliment one another. It has friendship, betrayal, you simply get to see how The Playah (soon to be the Boss as of SR2) gets molded into a very jaded and apathetic individual that borders the line between a remorseful human being to a full fledge Psychopath. Saints Row stories aren’t anything special, but there’s more interest in the characters and definitely stakes with them compared to later entries where they die and get retconned to be back alive or you die and a magical ending from god resets everything.

3 and 4 is when the series got more mainstream and simplified. By extension the story too were in 3 they rarely mention the past games. And 4 where they use the past games as nostalgia for levels cause they decided to throw the kitchen sink at the wall.

The Reboot and it’s story is messy, there was a very clear direction they wanted to go, but in the process they made a very non saints row story that could of been a completely different game. I don’t like the characters and writing personally but that’s cause it tries to be relatable and quirky when it’s just cringy and tone deaf.

Saints Row is is allowed to have quirky elements to it. There’s a mission dedicated to getting drugged in Saint Row 2 and various Easter Eggs/ Diversions that exist, but they don’t take away from the main story. They’re side content for a reason. The Reboot makes a whole game out of it to a lesser degree since SR4 exists, but I can say SR4 has better writing even if it isn’t good.

The point is from the start we got a good idea of what we were getting into with the whole “balls, balls, shit balls, holy cow balls” I didn’t like it, it was an attempt to be funny and it well and simply bombed.

I’ll end what I have to say here, but I was really hoping they fixed up the reboot in terms of balances and while they made changes the game still never felt right to me. It’s a shame Saints Row became this, but what can you do. Even the best games fall short and it will take a new team with a clear vision and total creative control to make a good Saints Row game.

4 Likes
5 Likes

I really hope it lives up to the original. I played most of VTMB a year or so ago until a gamebreaking bug stopped me near the end, but that said it was easily one of the better rpgs I’ve experienced and I’ll definitely be checking this out.

2 Likes

Weren’t you using the unofficial patch / GOG release?

1 Like

I was, which is why it came as a surprise. A door that was supposed to open just wouldn’t open, and it in any earlier saves I reloaded. I googled it to see if I was missing something, and it seemed to be a bug. I was playing with the unofficial patch but not the Plus version, was planning on replying it that way to see if my not using that was the issue. But I also was playing the Steam version, hadn’t thought of using GOG.

1 Like

SAG-AFTRA may soon be authorizing its Interactive Media (Video Game) partners a vote to strike…

Such major companies to be affected include

Activision Productions Inc.,
Blindlight LLC,
Disney Character Voices Inc.,
Electronic Arts Productions Inc.,
Epic Games, Inc.,
Formosa Interactive LLC,
Insomniac Games Inc.,
Take 2 Productions Inc.,
VoiceWorks Productions Inc., and
WB Games Inc.

11 Likes

Donald Glover Good GIF - Donald Glover Good GIFs
Everyone in all creative and software development industries deserve representation, restitution and proper benefits.

12 Likes

Cue the Wheres GTA 6 Crowd.

2 Likes

Currently, on Playstation, Xbox, and Steam I believe, there’s a new bundle for the Borderlands games called Pandora’s Box. Contains Borderlands 1, 2, The Pre-Sequel, Tales, 3, and New Tales, as well as all DLC for every respective game. Currently being sold for a discount of $60 USD, but will go up to $150 eventually. Pretty decent deal for the time being, because I own everything bar New Tales on Steam, it means I was able to buy New Tales from the Borderlands for £3.90 which is nice. (Haven’t heard anything about this game since its sudden launch.) Doesn’t include Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands, probably because that is still relatively recent, but decent way to get into the Borderlands franchise potentially. Borderlands 3 is also getting ported to Switch.

Now I just wish they would hire some good writers after the trainwreck of a story BL3 was, and Tales showing how much story potential the Borderlands universe truly offers.

3 Likes

$35 USD on Xbox incase people wanna know. Definitely a steal.

3 Likes

Relevant bonus round meme pic!

10 Likes