General News 1.0

I mean the state as a whole is not a swing state. It hasn’t voted Republican since 2004. Democrats won the senate race by almost 15 and the governor race by almost 20.

1 Like

The head of CSIS testified that he told Trudeau the Emergencies Act was required to handle the convoy situation.

We’ll also hear testimony today from Public Safety Minister Marco Mendicino.

3 Likes
7 Likes

How the hell do you fail an execution with lethal injection? They call it the deadly cocktail for a reason; it’s 3 deadly chemicals being pumped into you! The sedative to put you to sleep, the second batch that slows your breathing down to nothing, and the third dose that slows your heart until it stops. If the heart or lungs chemicals should fail, you still have the other, and if either of those should fail, you can keep pumping in the sedative until the person overdoses and dies while they’re still unconscious, keeping it “humane.” How inept do you have to be to screw that up? Even if the sedative fails partway through, the other two are keeping you unconscious and on your merry way to hell at that point.

2 Likes

It’s usually trouble finding the veins to pump the chemicals into the person in the first place. This is often a problem with very overweight or obese death row inmates. That becomes a problem considering that death row inmates have to be executed at 11:59 specifically in case of last minute appeals, evidence, pardons, or any other kinds of interruptions. So what you have is a tight deadline made tigger by nurses struggling with how to go about the procedure.

Also you simply have to follow procedure, you can’t break away from what you are supposed to do and “improvise”, the point is to do these things in a “humane and orderly” manner as possible. This isn’t an arts and crafts project, you can’t just freeform an execution.

4 Likes

I always found this to be rather stupid. You’re taking a person’s life away against their will, can we not pretend that there’s anything humane or civil about that. If the state condemns a person to die in a specific time and in a specific place and in a specific way, but the way part of it experienced a problem, complete the other two mandates. You have 3 deadly chemical; use whichever ones you can. The condemned will pass into unconsciousness before death under any of them, keeping it humane. Just use what you can to fulfill the time and place part of the mandate.

1 Like

Or we could just, you know, join the rest of the civilized world and not execute people. :man_shrugging:

8 Likes

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan vowed on Tuesday that Turkey would “soon” launch a ground operation into Syria against Kurdish targets defying mounting international pressure. (AFP)

4 Likes

There’s no such thing as a humane method of execution. Just abolish the death penalty already. It’s barbaric and doesn’t even work as a deterrent.

4 Likes

Well, there are some hopeless cases that maybe should be removed, and lacking viable options I’d be in favor of that. But yeah, for the most part, getting rid of capital punishment wouldn’t exactly be a step back for our nation.

1 Like

Another component is that the chemicals for these executions are very specific and come in certain doses. My guess is that they don’t exactly have even remotely enough sedative on standby in order to kill a normal person with it, nevermind an overweight man, that and I mentioned previously the execution would have to occur at a certain time, and that’s kind of hard to do when your only component is sedatives. They also have to legally protect themselves from possible human rights cases if the person doesn’t die from using just the sedative, that would be a massive civil suit just waiting to happen.

Also I think some of the chemicals work in conjunction with each other to produce their effects, diluting the argument even more.

i get the sentiment but it’s about not making them suffer. that pretension to humanity has people executed in a relatively peaceful manner. without it, they might be hung drawn and quartered or, i dunno, let’s say… dropped in a pit and fucked to death in stab wounds by a pack of wild dogs. or summink.

but as @ZeroGravitas rightly said: the fact that people are being executed at all is the main problem.

4 Likes

Oh no, I in no way advocate people suffering, can’t stand the thought of even the most horrible people being tortured. Physically, anyway; I’m actually amused by emotional suffering, usually. I’m a sadist that way. But anyway, I just mean that there is nothing humane in capital punishment no matter the method, so can we drop that pretense from our cultural vernacular. A humane execution is an oxymoron, kinda like civil war.

2 Likes

humane means “compassionate”, so a method of execution that minimises suffering is arguably more humane than one that maximises it, though yeah, execution isn’t humane in-and-of-itself; no argument there.

like i said, without that pretence there could be a lot more suffering, so i think it’s a pretty good lie to bandy around until the government get rid of executions all together. americans are pro-life, after all. :wink:

btw civil in that context means “non-military” rather than “polite”, as in civilian.

1 Like

No it isn’t, it is a calque that comes from the Latin term Bellum Civilis or “People’s Wars” referring to interstate conflicts during the last days of the Roman Republic.

2 Likes

that’s not my understanding but okay.

This is objectively incorrect

2 Likes

It’s depressing that these articles always end with “This shooting comes X days after this other mass shooting” (where X is usually a horribly small, single-digit number) and “This shooting is reminiscent of these other 8 mass shootings that have all blended together in your head.”

*Edited in updated story

9 Likes

Thankfully no one was hurt, so this is a bit of lighter news. Florida man can now be replaced with New Hampshire Man :joy:

4 Likes

I’m fairly certain you used an English plural translation for the Latin singular there. Don’t make me send John Cleese with a gladius at you!

4 Likes